- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Survival Analysis in Advanced Non Small Cell Lung Cancer Treated with Platinum Based Chemotherapy in Combination with Paclitaxel, Gemcitabine and Etoposide
- Natukula, Kirmani (Department of Genetics, Bhagwan Mahavir Medical Research Centre) ;
- Jamil, Kaiser (Department of Genetics, Bhagwan Mahavir Medical Research Centre) ;
- Pingali, Usha Rani (Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Attili, Venkata Satya Suresh (Department of Medical Oncology, BIBI General Hospitals and Cancer Centre) ;
- Madireddy, Umamaheshwar Rao Naidu (Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: The wide spectrum of clinical features in advanced stages of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) probably contributes to disparities in outcomes because of different prognostic variables significant for stage IIIB/IV patients. Hence the aim of this study was to check for favorable response of patients to various chemotherapeutic combinations with respect to patient survival in stage IIIB and stage IV NSCLC disease. We selected those patients for our study who were receiving treatment with paclitaxel, gemcitabine or etoposide in combination with platinum based drugs. Materials and Methods: Seventy-two patients who visited the hospital from June 2009 to November 2012 with confirmed diagnosis of lung cancer were included, and data were collected for follow up and classified according to treatment received with respect to patients' regimen and response, and overall survival. This study analyzed tumor variables that were associated with clinical outcome in advanced NSCLC patients who were undergoing first-line chemotherapy for stage IIIB/IV NSCLC. Results: Comparative data on various parameters like age, gender, stage, histology, site of disease, metastatic site and chemo-regimens was analyzed; these parameters predicted variable significant improvement for overall survival (
Non small cell lung cancer;chemotherapy;metastatic cancer;survival
- Bidoli P, Zilembo N, Cortinovis D, et al (2007). Randomized phase II three-arm trial with three platinum-based doublets in metastatic non small-cell lung cancer. An Italian Trials in Medical Oncology study. Ann Oncol, 18, 461-7.
- Bulzebruck H, Bopp R, Drings P, et al (1992). New aspects in the staging of lung cancer. Prospective validation of the International Union Against Cancer TNM classification. Cancer, 70, 1102-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19920901)70:5<1102::AID-CNCR2820700514>3.0.CO;2-5
- Cardenal F, Lopez-Cabrerizo MP, Anton A, et al (1999). Randomized phase III study of gemcitabinecisplatin versus etoposide-cisplatin in the treatment of locally advanced or metastatic non small-cell lung cancer. JCO, 17, 12-8.
- Carr DT, Holoye PY, Hong WK (1994). Bronchogenic carcinoma. In: Murray JF, Nadel JA. Textbook of respiratory medicine. Philadelphia: WB Saunders: 2nd edition. 1528-96.
- Ciuleanu T, Brodowicz T, Zielinski C, et al (2009). Maintenance pemetrexed plus best supportive care versus placebo plus best supportive care for non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 study. Lancet, 374, 1432-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61497-5
- Crino L, Scagliotti G, Marangolo M, et al (1997). Cisplatin-gemcitabine combination in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase II study. JCO, 15, 297-303.
- Crino L, Weder W, Meerbeeck J van, et al (2010). Early stage and locally advanced (non-metastatic) non-small-cell lung cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol, 21, 103-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq207
- Cullen M (2005). The development of gemcitabine and carboplatin in the treatment of non small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 50, 5-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(05)81550-8
- Cullen MH, Billingham LJ, Woodroffe CM, et al (1999). Mitomycin, ifosfamide, and cisplatin in unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer: effects on survival and quality of life. JCO, 17, 3188-94.
- Darwish S, Minotti V, Crino L, et al (1995). A phase II trial of combined chemotherapy and surgery in stage III A non small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 12, 71-8.
- Goffin J, Lacchetti C, Ellis PM, et al (2010). First-line systemic chemotherapy in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review. J Thorac Oncol, 5, 260-74. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181c6f035
- Gridelli C, Ardizzoni A, Douillard JY, et al (2010). Recent issues in first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: results of an International expert panel meeting of the Italian Association of Thoracic Oncology. Lung Cancer, 68, 319-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2009.11.018
- Han JY, Park K, Kim SW, et al (2012). First-signal: first-line single-agent Iressa versus gemcitabine and cisplatin trial in never-smokers with adenocarcinoma of the lung. J Clin Oncol, 30, 1122-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.36.8456
- Koo K, Zeng L, Jon F, et al (2011). Quality of life in patients treated with palliative radiotherapy for advanced lung cancer and lung metastases. World J Oncol, 2, 70-5.
- Kris MG, Natale RB, Herbst RS, et al (2003). Efficacy of gefitinib, an inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase, in symptomatic patients with non-small cell lung cancer: a randomized trial. JAMA, 290, 2149-58. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.16.2149
- Maestu I, Pastor M, Gomez-Codina J, et al (1997). Pretreatment prognostic factors for survival in small cell lung cancer: A new prognostic index and validation of three new prognostic indices on 341 patients. Ann Oncol, 8, 547-53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008212826956
- Masters GA, Vokes EE (1995). Should non-small cell carcinoma of the lung be treated with chemotherapy? Pro: Chemotherapy is for non-small cell lung cancer. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 151, 1285-7. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.151.5.7735574
- Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M, et al (1981). Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer, 47, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19810101)47:1<207::AID-CNCR2820470134>3.0.CO;2-6
- Mitsudomi T, Morita S, Yatabe Y, et al (2010). On behalf of the West Japan Oncology Group. Gefitinib versus cisplatin plus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer harbouring mutations of the epidermal growth factor receptor (wjtog 3405): an open label, randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol, 11, 121-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70364-X
- Noroxe DS, Wallerek S, Sorensen JB (2013). Platinum-based Doublet Chemotherapy plus Bevacizumab Without Bevacizumab Maintenance in Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC). Anticancer Res, 33, 3275-78.
- Ostoros G, Szondy K, Gergely-Farnos E, et al (2005). Efficacy of gemcitabin . cisplatin treatment in stage III/A ("bulky" N2), IIIB and IV non small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res, 25, 471-5.
- Pfister DG, Johnson DH, Azzoli CG, et al (2004). American society of clinical oncology treatment of unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer guideline: update 2003.
- Pirker R, Pereira JR, Szczesna A, et al (2009). Cetuximab plus chemotherapy in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (FLEX): an open-label randomised phase III trial. Lancet, 373, 1525-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60569-9
- Reboul F, Brewer Y, Vincent P, et al (1996). Concurrent cisplatin, etoposide, and radiotherapy for unresectable stage III nonsmall cell lung cancer: a phase II study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 35, 343-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(96)00087-9
- Rosenberg B, VanCamp L, Trosko JE, et al (1969). Platinum compounds: a new class of potent antitumour agents. Nature, 222, 385-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/222385a0
- Sandler A, Gray R, Perry MC, et al (2006). Paclitaxel-carboplatin alone or with bevacizumab for non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 355, 2542-50. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa061884
- Sandler A, Yi J, Dahlberg S, et al (2010). Treatment outcomes by tumor histology in Eastern Cooperative Group Study E4599 of bevacizumab with paclitaxel/carboplatin for advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 5, 1416-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3181da36f4
- Scagliotti GV, De Marinis F, Rinaldi M, et al (2002). Phase III randomized trial comparing three platinum-based doublets in advanced non small-cell lung cancer. JCO, 20, 4285-91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.02.068
- Scagliotti GV, Pastorino U, Vansteenkiste JF, et al (2012). Randomized phase III study of surgery alone or surgery plus preoperative cisplatin and gemcitabine in stages IB to IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 30, 172-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.33.7089
- Schiller JH, Harrington D, Belani CP, et al (2002). Comparison of four chemotherapy regimens for advanced non small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med, 346, 92-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa011954
- Socinski MA, Bondarenko IN, Karaseva NA, et al (2012). Weekly nab-paclitaxel in combination with carboplatin versus solvent-based paclitaxel plus carboplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: final results of a phase III trial. J Clin Oncol, 30, 2055-62. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.39.5848
- Srisam-ang K, Podhipak A, Narksawat K, et al (2005). Survival of patients with advanced non- small-cell lung cancer at ubon ratchathani cancer center, thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health, 36, 994-1006.
- Zhou C, Wu YL, Chen G, et al (2011). Erlotinib versus chemotherapy as first-line treatment for patients with advanced EGFR mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer (optimal, ctong-0802): a multicentre, open-label, randomized, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol, 12, 735-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70184-X
- Clinical Observation of Whole Brain Radiotherapy Concomitant with Targeted Therapy for Brain Metastasis in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients with Chemotherapy Failure vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5699
- Efficacy of First-line Chemotherapy Affects the Second-Line Setting Response in Patients with Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6799
- Clinical Study on Carboplatin for Treating Pediatric Patients with Wilms Tumors vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7277
- Clinical Investigation of Efficacy of Albumin Bound Paclitaxel plus Platinum Compounds as First-line Chemotherapy for Stage III/IV Squamous Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7453
- Efficacy and Survival-associated Factors with Gefitinib Combined with Cisplatin and Gemcitabine for Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10967
- Current Drugs and Drug Targets in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Limitations and Opportunities vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4147
- Prognostic Factors in Patients with Non-small Cell Lung Carcinoma and Brain Metastases: a Malaysian Perspective vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1901
- Association of MDR1 Gene (C3435T) Polymorphism and Gene Expression Profiling in Lung Cancer Patients Treated with Platinum-Based Chemotherapy vol.19, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40291-015-0154-3
- Trends in incidence and associated risk factors of suicide mortality in patients with non-small cell lung cancer vol.7, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1656