- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Chloroquine and Valproic Acid Combined Treatment in Vitro has Enhanced Cytotoxicity in an Osteosarcoma Cell Line
- Wang, Chuan-Kun (Department of Orthopaedics, The Fourth Hospital of Harbin) ;
- Yu, Xi-Dong (Department of Orthopaedics, The Fourth Hospital of Harbin) ;
- Li, Qiang (Department of Orthopaedics, The Fourth Hospital of Harbin) ;
- Xie, Gang (Department of Orthopaedics, The Fourth Hospital of Harbin) ;
- Teng, Yue (Department of Orthopaedics, The Fourth Hospital of Harbin)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Choroquine (CQ) and valproic acid (VPA) have been extensively studied for biological effects. Here, we focused on efficacy of combined CQ and VPA on osteosarcoma cell lines. Viability of osteosarcoma cell lines (U20S and HOS) was analyzed by MTT assay. Apoptotic assays and colony formation assays were also applied. ROS generation and Western Blotting were performed to determine the mechanism of CQ and VPA combination in the process of apoptosis. The viability of different osteosarcoma cell lines significantly decreased after CQ and VPA combination treatment compared with either drug used alone, and apoptosis was increased significantly. ROS generation was triggered leading to expression of apoptosis related genes being increased and of antiapoptotic related genes being decreased. From our data shown here, CQ and VPA combination treatment in vitro enhanced cytotoxicy to osteosarcoma cells.
- Chen D, Zhang YJ, Zhu KW, Wang WC (2013). A systematic review of vascular endothelial growth factor expression as a biomarker of prognosis in patients with osteosarcoma. Tumour Biol, 34, 1895-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-0733-z
- Enzenmuller S, Gonzalez P, Debatin KM, Fulda S (2013). Chloroquine overcomes resistance of lung carcinoma cells to the dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor PI103 by lysosome-mediated apoptosis. Anticancer Drugs, 24, 14-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e32835a36db
- Gao L, Song JR, Zhang JW, et al (2013). Chloroquine promotes the anticancer effect of TACE in a rabbit VX2 liver tumor model. Int J Biol Sci, 9, 322-30. https://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.5925
- Harhaji-Trajkovic L, Arsikin K, Kravic-Stevovic T, et al (2012). Chloroquine-mediated lysosomal dysfunction enhances the anticancer effect of nutrient deprivation. Pharm Res, 29, 2249-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-012-0753-1
- Jasek E, Lis GJ, Jasinska M, Jurkowska H, Litwin JA (2012). Effect of histone deacetylase inhibitors trichostatin A and valproic acid on etoposide-induced apoptosis in leukemia cells. Anticancer Res, 32, 2791-9.
- Kwieci.ska P, Wi.niewska J, Gregoraszczuk EL (2011). Effects of valproic acid (VPA) and levetiracetam (LEV) on proliferation, apoptosis and hormone secretion of the human choriocarcinoma BeWo cell line. Pharmacol Rep, 63, 1195-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1734-1140(11)70639-9
- Kwieci.ska P, Tauboll E, Gregoraszczuk EL (2012). Comparison of the effects of valproic acid and levetiracetam on apoptosis in the human ovarian cancer cell line OVCAR-3. Pharmacol Rep, 64, 603-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1734-1140(12)70856-3
- Li C, Shi X, Zhou G, et al (2013). The canonical Wnt-beta-catenin pathway in development and chemotherapy of osteosarcoma. Front Biosci, 18, 1384-91. https://doi.org/10.2741/4187
- Li Y, Liu T, Ivan C, et al (2013). Enhanced cytotoxic effects of combined valproic acid and the aurora kinase inhibitor VE465 on gynecologic cancer cells. Front Oncol, 3, 58.
- Liu JJ, Liu S, Wang JG, et al (2013). Telangiectatic osteosarcoma: a review of literature. Onco Targets Ther, 6, 593-602.
- Mackenzie GG, Huang L, Alston N, et al (2013). Targeting mitochondrial STAT3 with the novel phospho-valproic acid (MDC-1112) inhibits pancreatic cancer growth in mice. PLoS One, 8, e61532. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0061532
- McCormack E, Haaland I, Venas G, et al (2013). Synergistic induction of p53 mediated apoptosis by valproic acid and nutlin-3 in acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia, 26, 910-7.
- Nie D, Huang K, Yin S, et al (2013). Synergistic/additive interaction of valproic acid with bortezomib on proliferation and apoptosis of acute myeloid leukemia cells. Leuk Lymphoma, 53, 2487-95.
- Sampson VB, Gorlick R, Kamara D, Anders Kolb E (2013). A review of targeted therapies evaluated by the pediatric preclinical testing program for osteosarcoma. Front Oncol, 3, 132.
- Sangsin A, Pattamapaspong N, Settakorn J, Leerapun T, Pruksakorn D (2013). Extraosseous osteosarcoma: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Assoc Thai, 96, 491-5.
- Seitz C, Hugle M, Cristofanon S, Tchoghandjian A, Fulda S (2013). The dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor NVP-BEZ235 and chloroquine synergize to trigger apoptosis via mitochondrial-lysosomal cross-talk. Int J Cancer, 132, 2682-93. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27935
- Shan Z, Feng-Nian R, Jie G, Ting Z (2012). Effects of valproic acid on proliferation, apoptosis, angiogenesis and metastasis of ovarian cancer in vitro and in vivo. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3977-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3977
- Sidana A, Wang M, Shabbeer S, et al (2012). Mechanism of growth inhibition of prostate cancer xenografts by valproic acid. J Biomed Biotechnol, 2012, 180363.
- Verschooten L, Barrette K, Van Kelst S, et al (2012). Autophagy inhibitor chloroquine enhanced the cell death inducing effect of the flavonoid luteolin in metastatic squamous cell carcinoma cells. PLoS One, 7, e48264. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048264
- Wang Y, Peng RQ, Li DD, et al (2011). Chloroquine enhances the cytotoxicity of topotecan by inhibiting autophagy in lung cancer cells. Chin J Cancer, 30, 690-700. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.011.10056
- Xie C, Edwards H, Lograsso SB, et al (2012). Valproic acid synergistically enhances the cytotoxicity of clofarabine in pediatric acute myeloid leukemia cells. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 59, 1245-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24152
- Zinn RL, Gardner EE, Dobromilskaya I, et al (2013). Combination treatment with ABT-737 and chloroquine in preclinical models of small cell lung cancer. Mol Cancer, 12, 16. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-12-16