- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of BreastLight as a Tool for Early Detection of Breast Lesions among Females Attending National Cancer Institute, Cairo University
- Labib, Nargis Albert (Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Ghobashi, Maha Mohamed (Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Moneer, Manar Mohamed (Department of Biostatistics and Cancer Epidemiology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Helal, Maha Hesien (Department of Radio- Diagnosis, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Abdalgaleel, Shaimaa Abdalaleem (Department of Biostatistics and Cancer Epidemiology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Background: Breast illumination was suggested as a simple method for breast cancer screening. BreastLight is a simple apparatus for this purpose. Objective: To evaluate the diagnostic performance of BreastLight as a screening tool of breast cancer in comparison to mammography and histopathology. Materials and Methods: This hospital-based cross sectional study was conducted in the mammography unit of the radiodiagnosis department at National Cancer Institute, Cairo University. All participants were subjected to breast examination with the BreastLight tool, mammography and ultrasonography. Suspicious cases were biopsied for histopathological examination which is considered as a gold standard. Results: The mean age of the participants was
- Alveryd A, Andersson I, Aspegren K, et al (1990). Lightscanning versus mammography for the detection of breast cancer in screening and clinical practice. A Swedish multicenter study. Cancer, 65, 1671-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19900415)65:8<1671::AID-CNCR2820650802>3.0.CO;2-A
- Angquist KA, Holmlund D, Liliequist B, et al (1981). Diaphanoscopy and diaphanography for breast cancer detection in clinical practice. Acta Chir Scand, 147, 231-8.
- Banks E, Reeves G, Beral V, et al (2004). Influence of personal characteristics of individual women on sensitivity and specificity of mammography in the Million Women Study: cohort study. BMJ, 329, 477. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.329.7464.477
- Brittenden J, Watmough DJ, Heys SD, Eremin O (1995). Preliminary clinical evaluation of a combined optical Doppler ultrasound instrument for the detection of breast cancer. Brit J Radiol, 68, 1344-8. https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-68-816-1344
- Cheung Y, Wan Y, Chen S, et al (2003). Sonographic evaluation of mammographic detected microcalcification without a mass prior to stereotactic core needle biopsy. J Clin Ultrasound, 30, 323-31.
- Dowle CS, Caseldine J, Tew J, et al (1987). An evaluation of transmission spectroscopy (lightscanning) in the diagnosis of symptomatic breast lesions. Clin Radiol, 38, 375-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9260(87)80225-8
- Elattar IA, Ali-eldin NH, Moneer MM, et al (2003). Cancer registration, NCI Egypt. Cairo, Egypt, National Cancer Institute, (http://www.nci.edu.eg/cancerstatistics/NCI registry 2002-03.pdf).
- Greene FL, Hicks C, Eddy V, Davis C (1985). Mammography, sonomammography, and diaphanography (lightscanning). A prospective, comparative study with histologic correlation. Am Surg, 51, 58-60.
- Iwuchukwu O, Keaney N, Dordea M (2010). Analysis of BreastLight findings in patients with biopsies. City Hospital Sunderland. Presentation given at the European Institute of Oncology's 12th Milan Breast Cancer Conference.
- Jarlman O, Andersson I, Balldin G, Larsson SA (1992). Diagnostic accuracy of lightscanning and mammography in women with dense breasts. Acta Radiol, 33, 69-71. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841859209173130
- Kavanagh AM, Giles GG, Mitchell H, Cawson JN (2000). The sensitivity, specificity, and positive predictive value of screening mammography and symptomatic status. J Med Screening, 7, 105-10. https://doi.org/10.1136/jms.7.2.105
- Kosters JP, Gotzsche PC (2003): Regular self-examination or clinical examination for early detection of breast cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2, 3373.
- Michaelson J, Silverstein M, Sgroi D, et al (2003). The effect of tumor size and lymph node status on breast cancer lethality. Cancer, 98, 2133-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11765
- Porter G, Evans A, Cornford E, et al (2007). Influence of mammographic parenchyma pattern in screening -detected and interval invasive breast cancers on pathologic features, mammographic features and patient survival. Am J Roentgenol, 18, 676-83.
- Saslow D, Hannan J, Osuch J, et al (2004). Clinical breast examination: practical recommendations for optimizing performance and reporting. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 327-44. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.54.6.327
- World Health Organization (2006). Fact sheet No. 297: Cancer. http://www.who.int/ mediacentre/ factsheets /fs297/en/index.html.
- World Health Organization (2003). International Agency for Research on Cancer.World Cancer Report. http://www.iarc.fr/en/Publications/PDFs-online/World-Cancer- Report/World-Cancer-Report.
- BreastLight Apparatus Performance in Detection of Breast Masses Depends on Mass Size vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1181
- Breast-i Is an Effective and Reliable Adjunct Screening Tool for Detecting Early Tumour Related Angiogenesis of Breast Cancers in Low Resource Sub-Saharan Countries vol.2018, pp.2090-3189, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/2539056