- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Multidisciplinary Collaborative Therapy for 30 Children with Orbital Rhabdomyosarcoma
- Ge, Xin (Key Laboratory of Beijing Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Beijing Tongren Eye Center) ;
- Huang, Dong-Sheng (Department of Pediatrics, Affiliated Beijing Tongren Hospital of Capital Medical University) ;
- Shi, Ji-Tong (Key Laboratory of Beijing Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Beijing Tongren Eye Center) ;
- Ma, Jian-Min (Key Laboratory of Beijing Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Beijing Tongren Eye Center)
- Published : 2013.08.30
Objective: To explore clinical experience and propose new ideas for treating children diagnosed with orbital rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS). Methods: We retrospectively analyzed the clinical data for30 patients (16 males and 14 females, with a median age of 6.2 years) with primary orbital RMS who were enrolled in the Department of Eye Oncology and Pediatrics of our hospital from November 2004 to December 2012. International Rhabdomyosarcoma Organization Staging Standards indicated that among the 30 patients, 4 cases were in phase II, 20 were in phase III, and 6 were in phase IV. All patients underwent a multidisciplinary collaborative model of comprehensive treatment (surgery, chemotherapy, external radiotherapy,
- Trahair T, Andrews L, Cohn RJ (2007). Recognition of Li Fraumeni syndrome at diagnosis of a locally advanced extremity rhabdomyosarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 48, 345-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.20795
- Van Gaal JC, Van Der Graaf WT, Rikhof B, et al (2012). The impact of age on outcome of embryonal and alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma patients. A multicenter study. Anticancer Res, 32, 4485-97.
- Walterhouse DO, Meza JL, Raney RB, et al (2006). Dactinomycin (A) and vincristine (V) with or without cyclophosphamide (C) and radiation therapy (RT) for newly diagnosed patients with low risk embryonal/botryoid rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS). an IRS-V report from the Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee of the Children's Oncology Group [abstract]. J Clin Oncol, 24, 18S. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.1143
- Gupta AA, Anderson JR, Pappo AS, et al (2012). Patterns of chemotherapy-induced toxicities in younger children and adolescents with rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee. Cancer, 15, 1131-7.
- Hawkins DS, Spunt SL, Skapek SX (2013). Children's Oncology Group's 2013 blueprint for research: Soft tissue sarcomas. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 60, 1001-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24435
- Joshi D, Anderson JR, Paidas C, et al (2004). Age is an independent prognostic factor in rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee of the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 42, 64-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.10441
- Kim NK, Kim HS, Suh CO, Kim HO, Lyu CJ (2012). Clinical results of high-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in children with advanced stage rhabdomyosarcoma. J Korean Med Sci, 27, 1066-72. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2012.27.9.1066
- Koscielniak E, Klingebiel T, Peters C, et al (1997). Do patients with metastatic and recurrent rhabdomyosarcoma benefit from high-dose therapy with hematopoietic rescue? Report of the German/Austrian Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplantation Group. Bone MarrowTransplant, 19, 227-31.
- Kuru TH, Roethke MC, Nyarangi-Dix J, et al (2013). Pediatric case report on magnetic resonance imaging/transrectal ultrasound-fusion biopsy of rhabdomyosarcoma of the bladder/prostate: a new tool to reduce therapy-associated morbidity? Urology, 81, 417-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2012.10.043
- Maurer H, Beltangady M, Gehan EA, et al (1988). The Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study-I. A final report. Cancer, 61, 209-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19880115)61:2<209::AID-CNCR2820610202>3.0.CO;2-L
- Maurer H, Gehan E, Beltangady M, et al (1993). The Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study-II. Cancer, 71, 1904-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930301)71:5<1904::AID-CNCR2820710530>3.0.CO;2-X
- Meng N, Jiang YL, Wang JJ, et al (2012). Permanent implantation of iodian-125 seeds as a salvage therapy for recurrent head and neck carcinoma after radiotherapy. Cancer Invest, 30, 236-42. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357907.2012.654869
- Meza JL, Anderson J, Pappo AS, Meyer WH (2006). Analysis of prognostic factors in patients with nonmetastatic rhabdomyosarcoma treated on intergroup rhabdomyosarcoma studies III and IV: The Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol, 24, 3844-51. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.3801
- Oberlin O, Rey A, Anderson J, et al (2001). Treatment of orbital rhabdomyosarcoma: survival and late effects of treatment-results of an international workshop. J Clin Oncol, 19, 197-204.
- Pappo AS, Shapiro DN, Crist WM, Maurer HM (1995). Biology and therapy of pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma. J Clin Oncol, 13, 2123-39.
- Rodeberg D, Paidas C (2006). Childhood rhabdomyosarcoma. Semin Pediatr Surg, 15, 57- 62. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2005.11.009
- Rodeberg D, Arndt C, Breneman J, et al (2005). Characteristics and outcomes of rhabdomyosarcoma patients with isolated lung metastases from IRS-IV. J Pediatr Surg, 40, 256-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2004.09.045
- Sandler E, Lyden E, Ruymann F, et al (2001). Efficacy of ifosfanmide and doxorubin given as a phase II “window” in children with newly diagnosed metastatic rhabodomyosarcoma: a report form the Intergroup Rhabodomyosarcoma Study Group. Med Pediatr Oncol, 37, 442-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/mpo.1227
- Ballard KS, Tedjarati SS, Robinson WR, Homesley HD, Thurston EL (2010). Rhabdomyosarcoma adjuvant and ex vivo assayydirected chemotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 20, 561-3. https://doi.org/10.1111/IGC.0b013e3181d320dd
- Bearman SI, Appelbaum FR, Buckner CD, et al (1988). Regimen related toxicity in patients undergoing bone marrow transplantation. Clin Oncol, 6, 1562-8.
- Breneman J, Meza J, Donaldson SS, et al (2012). Local control with reduced-dose radiotherapy for low-risk rhabdomyosarcoma: a report from the Children’s Oncology Group D9602 study. Int J Radiat Oncol Boil Phys, 83, 721-6.
- Burke ME, Lyden ER, Meza JL, et al (2013). Does body mass index at diagnosis or weight change during therapy predict toxicity or survival in intermediate risk rhabdomyosarcoma? A report from the Children's Oncology Group Soft Tissue Sarcoma Committee. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 60, 748-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24322
- Corrias MV, Haupt R, Carlini B, et al (2006). Peripheral blood stem cell tumor cell contamination and survival of neruoblastoma patients. Clin Cancer Res, 12, 5680-5. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-0740
- Crist W, Gehan EA, Ragab AH, et al (1995). The Third Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study. J Clin Oncol, 13, 610-30.
- Dasgupta R, Rodeberg DA (2012). Update on rhabdomyosarcoma. Semin Pediatr Surg, 21, 68-78. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2011.10.007
- Eaton BR, McDonald MW, Kim S, et al (2013). Radiation therapy target volume reduction in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma: implications for patterns of disease recurrence and overall survival. Cancer, 119, 1578-85. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27934
- Gosiengfiao Y, Reichek J, Walterhouse D (2012). What is new in rhabdomyosarcoma management in children? Paediatr Drugs, 14, 389-400.
- Compound HRAS/PIK3CA Mutations in Chinese Patients with Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcomas vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1771
- Clinical research on the treatment effects of radioactive 125I seeds interstitial brachytherapy on children with primary orbital rhabdomyosarcoma vol.31, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0027-3
- Replacing Actinomycin-D with Carboplatin for Newly Diagnosed Rhabdomyosarcoma vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3351