- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Mining Proteins Associated with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Complex Networks
- Liu, Ying (State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, West China Hospital of Stomatology, Sichuan University) ;
- Liu, Chuan-Xia (State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, West China Hospital of Stomatology, Sichuan University) ;
- Wu, Zhong-Ting (State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, West China Hospital of Stomatology, Sichuan University) ;
- Ge, Lin (State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, West China Hospital of Stomatology, Sichuan University) ;
- Zhou, Hong-Mei (Department of Oral Medicine, West China School of Stomatology, Sichuan University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
The purpose of this study was to construct a protein-protein interaction (PPI) network related to oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC). Each protein was ranked and those most associated with OSCC were mined within the network. First, OSCC-related genes were retrieved from the Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database. Then they were mapped to their protein identifiers and a seed set of proteins was built. The seed proteins were expanded using the nearest neighbor expansion method to construct a PPI network through the Online Predicated Human Interaction Database (OPHID). The network was verified to be statistically significant, the score of each protein was evaluated by algorithm, then the OSCC-related proteins were ranked. 38 OSCC related seed proteins were expanded to 750 protein pairs. A protein-protein interaction nerwork was then constructed and the 30 top-ranked proteins listed. The four highest-scoring seed proteins were SMAD4, CTNNB1, HRAS, NOTCH1, and four non-seed proteins P53, EP300, SMAD3, SRC were mined using the nearest neighbor expansion method. The methods shown here may facilitate the discovery of important OSCC proteins and guide medical researchers in further pertinent studies.
Protein-protein interaction;nearest neighbor expansion;oral squamous cell carcinoma
- Chen JY, Shen C, Sivachenko AY (2006). Mining alzheimer disease relevant proteins from integrated protein interactome data. Pac Symp Biocomput, 11, 367-78.
- Cheng SJ, Kok SH, Lee JJ (2011). Significant association of SRC protein expression with the progression, recurrence, and prognosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma in taiwan. Head Neck, 34, 1340-5.
- Choi S, Myers JN (2008). Molecular pathogenesis of oral squamous cell carcinoma: implications for therapy. J Dent Res, 87, 14-32. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910808700104
Duan L, Yao J, Wu XX, Fan MW (2006). Growth suppression induced by Notch1 activation involves Wnt-
$\beta$-catenin down-regulation in human tongue carcinoma cells. Biol Cell, 98, 479-90. https://doi.org/10.1042/BC20060020
- Gayther SA, Batley SJ, Linger L, et al (2000). Mutations truncating the EP300 acetylase in human cancers. Nat Genet, 24, 300-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/73536
- Han GW, Wan XJ (2011). Roles of TGFb signaling smads in squamous cell carcinoma. Cell Biosci, 2011, 41, 1-8.
- Jayaraman B, Valiathan GM, Jayakumar K, et al (2012). Lack of mutation in p53 and H-ras genes in phenytoin induced gingival overgrowth suggests its non cancerous nature. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5535-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5535
- Lee1 CH, Hung HW, Hung PH, Shieh YS (2010). Epidermal growth factor receptor regulates b-catenin location, stability, and transcriptional activity in oral cancer. Mol Cancer, 9, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-9-1
- Maslov S, Sneppen K (2002). Specificity and stability in topology of protein networks. Science, 296, 910-3. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1065103
- Mroz EA, Rocco JW (2010). Functional P53 status as a biomarker for chemotherapy response in oral-cavity cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 715-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.3475
- Murugan AK, Hong NT, Cuc TT, et al (2009). Detection of two novel mutations and relatively high incidence of H-RAS mutations in vietnamese oral cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 161-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2009.05.638
- Batagelj V, Mrvar A (2011). Pajek program for analysis and visualization of large networks. Reference Manual, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Bonetta L (2010). Protein-protein interactions: interactome under construction. Nature, 468, 851-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/468851a
- Ning K, Ng HK, Srihari S, et al (2010). Examination of the relationship between essential genes in PPI network and hub proteins in reverse nearest neighbor topology. BMC Bioinformatics, 11, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-11-1
- Oti M, Ballouz S, Wouters MA (2011). Web tools for the prioritization of candidate disease genes. Methods Mol Biol, 760, 189-206. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-61779-176-5_12
- Pasini FS, Maistro S, Snitcovsky I (2012). Four-gene expression model predictive of lymph node metastases in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Oncol, 51, 77-85. https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2011.620619
Ravindran G, Devaraj H (2012). Aberrant expression of
$\beta$-catenin and its association with $\Delta$Np63, Notch-1, and clinicopathological factors in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Oral Investig, 16, 1275-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-011-0605-0
- Seal RL, Gordon SM, Lush MJ, et al (2011). Genenames Org: The HGNC resources in 2011. Nucleic Acids Res, 39, 514-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkq892
- Wagner A, Fell DA (2001). The small world inside large metabolic networks. Proceedings of the royal society of London. Int J Biol Sci, 268, 1803-10.
- Xia RH, Song XM, Wang XJ, et al (2013). The combination of SMAD4 expression and histological grade of dysplasia is a better predictor for the malignant transformation of oral leukoplakia. PLoS One, 8, 1-6.
Yang G, Yang X (2010). Smad4-mediated TGF-
$\beta$signaling in tumorigenesis. Int J Biol Sci, 6, 1-8.
- Zhang L, Hu K, Tang Y (2010). Predicting disease-related genes by topological similarity in human protein-protein interaction network. Cent Eur J Phys, 8 , 672-82. https://doi.org/10.2478/s11534-009-0114-9
- Construction of a Protein-Protein Interaction Network for Chronic Myelocytic Leukemia and Pathway Prediction of Molecular Complexes vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5325
- Network Analyses of Gene Expression following Fascin Knockdown in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cells vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5445
- Expression and influence of Notch signaling in oral squamous cell carcinoma vol.58, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.15-0535