- Volume 14 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Variation of ABCB1 and ABCC3 Genotypes on the Survival of Bone Tumor Cases after Chemotherapy
- Yang, Jie (Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Shanghai Children's Medical Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University) ;
- Wang, Zhi-Gang (Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Shanghai Children's Medical Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University) ;
- Cai, Hai-Qing (Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Shanghai Children's Medical Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University) ;
- Li, Yu-Chan (Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Shanghai Children's Medical Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University) ;
- Xu, Yun-Lan (Department of Pediatric Orthopedics, Shanghai Children's Medical Center, Shanghai Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2013.08.30
We conducted a comprehensive study to investigate the role of genes involved in transport pathways in response to chemotherapy and clinical outcome of osteosarcoma cases. Genotyping of six SNPs was performed in a 384-well plate format on the Sequenom MassARRAY platform for 208 osteosarcoma patients to reveal any correlations of the six SNPs with response to chemotherapy and clinical outcome. Individuals with the ABCB1 rs1128503 TT and ABCC3 rs4148416 TT genotypes had a higher probability of responding poorly to chemotherapy, indicated by odds ratios (ORs) of 2.46 (95%CI, 1.21-5.74) and 3.78 (95% CI, 1.20-13.85), respectively. Moreover, the ABCB1 rs1128503 TT and ABCC3 rs4148416 TT genotypes were significantly associated with shorter diseasefree survival (DFS) and overall survival (OS). Our study found the two SNPs in two transporter genes and one phase II metabolism enzyme to be associated with response to chemotherapy and overall survival in osteosarcoma patients, suggesting potential prognostic biomarker applications of the two SNPs.
APT-binding cassette;osteosarcoma;clinical outcome
- Bacci G, Bertoni F, Longhi A, et al (2003). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for high-grade central osteosarcoma of the extremity. Histologic response to preoperative chemotherapy correlates with histologic subtype of the tumor. Cancer, 97, 3068-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11456
- Borst P, Evers R, Kool M, et al (2000). A family of drug transporters: the multidrug resistance-associated proteins. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 1295-302. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.16.1295
- Caronia D, Patino-Garcia A, Perez-Martinez A, et al (2011). Effect of ABCB1 and ABCC3 polymorphisms on osteosarcoma survival after chemotherapy: a pharmacogenetic study. PLoS One, 6, e26091. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0026091
- Cheng Y, Xu J, Guo J, et al (2013). Circulating autoantibody to ABCC3 may be a potential biomarker for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Transl Oncol, 15, 398-402. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-012-0941-9
- Clarke R, Leonessa F, Trock B (2005). Multidrug resistance/Pglycoprotein and breast cancer: review and meta-analysis. Semin Oncol, 32, S9-S15.
- Fromm MF (2002). The influence of MDR1 polymorphisms on P-glycoprotein expression and function in humans. Adv Drug Deliv Rev, 54, 1295-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-409X(02)00064-9
- Hao T, Feng W, Zhang J, et al (2012). Association of four ERCC1 and ERCC2 SNPs with survival of bone tumour patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3821-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3821
- Longhi A, Errani C, De Paolis M, et al (2006). Primary bone osteosarcoma in the pediatric age: state of the art. Cancer Treat Rev, 32, 423-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2006.05.005
- Ottaviani G, Jaffe N (2009). The epidemiology of osteosarcoma. Cancer Treat Res, 152, 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-0284-9_1
- Partanen L, Staaf J, Tanner M, et al (2012). Amplification and overexpression of the ABCC3 (MRP3) gene in primary breast cancer. Genes Chromosomes Cancer, 51, 832-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/gcc.21967
- Redlich G, Zanger UM, Riedmaier S, et al (2008). Distinction between human cytochrome P450 (CYP) isoforms and identification of new phosphorylation sites by mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res, 7, 4678-88. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr800231w
- Rost D, Konig J, Weiss G, et al (2001). Expression and localization of the multidrug resistance proteins MRP2 and MRP3 in human gallbladder epithelia. Gastroenterology, 121, 1203-8. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.2001.28648
- Salama NN, Yang Z, Bui T, et al (2006). MDR1 haplotypes significantly minimize intracellular uptake and transcellular P-gp substrate transport in recombinant LLC-PK1 cells. J Pharm Sci, 95, 2293-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.20717
- Tahara T, Arisawa T, Shibata T, et al (2007). Multidrug resistance 1 polymorphism is associated with reduced risk of gastric cancer in the Japanese population. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 22, 1678-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2007.04848.x
- Tran QN (2013). A novel method for finding non-small cell lung cancer diagnosis biomarkers. BMC Med Genomics, 6, S11.
- Wei L, Song XR, Wang XW, et al (2006). Expression of MDR1 and GST-pi in osteosarcoma and soft tissue sarcoma and their correlation with chemotherapy resistance. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 28, 445-8.
- Windsor RE, Strauss SJ, Kallis C, et al (2012). Germline genetic polymorphisms may influence chemotherapy response and disease outcome in osteosarcoma: a pilot study. Cancer, 118, 1856-67. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26472
- Zeng H, Liu G, Rea PA, et al (2000). Transport of amphipathic anions by human multidrug resistance protein 3. Cancer Res, 60, 4779-84.
- Zelcer N, Saeki T, Reid G, et al (2001). Characterization of drug transport by the human multidrug resistance protein 3 (ABCC3). J Biol Chem, 276, 46400-7. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M107041200
- Zhou SF, Di YM, Chan E, et al (2008). Clinical pharmacogenetics and potential application in personalized medicine. Curr Drug Metab, 9, 738-84. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920008786049302
- Establishment and Partial Characterization of an Epirubicin-Resistant Gastric Cancer Cell Line with Upregulated ABCB1 vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6849
- Gemcitabine for the Treatment of Patients with Osteosarcoma vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7159
- Predictive potential of ABCB1, ABCC3, and GSTP1 gene polymorphisms on osteosarcoma survival after chemotherapy vol.35, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-1917-x
- New insights in the biology of ABC transporters ABCC2 and ABCC3: impact on drug disposition vol.11, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1517/17425255.2015.981152
- Quantitative Assessment of the Association between ABC Polymorphisms and Osteosarcoma Response: a Meta-analysis vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4659
- RETRACTED ARTICLE: Common genetic variants in microRNA processing machinery genes are associated with risk and survival in patients with osteosarcoma vol.291, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00438-015-1006-x
- The pharmacogenomics of osteosarcoma vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/tpj.2016.45
- A Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacogenetic Analysis of Osteosarcoma Patients Treated With High-Dose Methotrexate: Data From the OS2006/Sarcoma-09 Trial pp.00912700, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcph.1252