- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Lack of Association of a Common Polymorphism in the 3'-UTR of Interleukin 8 with Non Small Cell Lung Cancer in Kashmir
- Bhat, Imtiyaz Ahmad (Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar) ;
- Pandith, Arshid A. (Advanced Center for Human Genetics, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar) ;
- Bhat, Bashir A. (Department of Plastic Surgery, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar) ;
- Naykoo, Niyaz A. (Sher-e- Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir) ;
- Qasim, Iqbal (Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar) ;
- Rasool, Roohi (Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar) ;
- Aziz, Sheik Aejaz (Department of Medical Oncology, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar) ;
- Shah, Zafar Amin (Department of Immunology and Molecular Medicine, Sher i Kashmir institute of Medical Sciences Srinagar)
- Published : 2013.07.30
Background: Chronic inflammation is considered as an important factor in the pathogenesis of lung cancer. The presence of inflammatory cells and higher levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines in the tumor microenvironment and their surrounding tissues is gaining much importance in research. Materials and Methods: One hundred ninety NSCLC cases and 200 age, smoking and sex matched controls were evaluated for association of IL-8 -251 (rs4073) and IL-8 -845 (rs2227532) in our population. Restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) was used followed by direct sequencing for the detection of SNPs. Results: The IL-8 -845 polymorphism was not found in our population. No significant association was observed between the IL-8 -251 AT genotypes and IL-8 -25 AA genotypes and NSCLC (p=0.05) in our population. The IL-8 -251 A allele was also non-significant (p=0.05) in NSCLC patients. Conclusions: In conclusion, this report reveals lack of association between IL-8 - 251 A/T polymorphism and NSCLC in our Kashmir Valley population.
Interleukin 8;restriction fragment length polymorphism;non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
- Andia DC, de Oliveira NF, Letra AM, et al (2011). Interleukin-8 gene promoter polymorphism (rs4073) may contribute to chronic periodontitis. J Periodontol, 82, 893-9. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.100513
- Araki S, Omori Y, Lyn D, et al (2007). Interleukin-8 is a molecular determinant of androgen independence and progression in prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 67, 6854-62. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-1162
- Balkwill F (2004). Cancer and the chemokine network. Nat Rev Cancer, 4, 540-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1388
- Balkwill F, Mantovani A (2001). Inflammation and cancer: back to virchow? Lancet, 357, 539-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)04046-0
- Ben Nasr H, Chahed K, Mestiri S, et al (2007). Association of IL-8 (-251) T/A polymorphism with susceptibility to and aggressiveness of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Hum Immunol, 68, 761-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humimm.2007.06.006
- Bidwell J, Keen L, Gallagher G, et al (2001). Cytokine gene polymorphism in human disease: on-line databases, supplement 1. Genes Immun, 2, 61-70. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.gene.6363733
- Boffetta P, Ye W, Boman G, Nyren (2002). Lung cancer risk in a population-based cohort of patients hospitalized for asthma in Sweden. Eur Respir J, 19, 127-33. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.02.00245802
- Brew R, Southern SA, Flanagan BF, McDicken IW, Christmas SE (1996). Detection of interleukin-8 mRNA and protein in human colorectal carcinoma cells. Eur J Cancer, 32, 2142-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(96)00221-3
- Campa D, Hung RJ, Mates D, et al (2005). Lack of association between -251 T>A polymorphism of IL-8 and lung cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 2457-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0446
- Campa D, Zienolddiny S, Maggini V, et al (2004). Association of a common polymorphism in the cyclooxygenase 2 gene with risk of non-small cell lung cancer. Carcinogenesis, 2, 229-35.
- Cohen RF, Contrino J, Spiro JD, et al (1995). Interleukin-8 expression by head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 121, 202-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.1995.01890020064013
- Cohen BH, Diamond EL, Graves CG, et al (1977). A common familial component in lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Lancet, 2, 523-6.
- Dan H, Liu W, Zhou Y, et al (2010). Association of Interleukin-8 gene polymorphisms and haplotypes with oral lichen planus in a Chinese population. Inflammation, 33, 76-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10753-009-9160-0
- Du H, Bay BH, Mahendran R, Olivo M (2002). Endogenous expression of interleukin-8, interleukin-10 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells, the effect of photodynamic therapy. Int J Mol Med, 10, 73-6.
- Gao LB, Pan XM, Jia J, et al (2010). IL-8 -251A/T polymorphism is associated with decreased cancer risk among populationbased studies: Evidence from a meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer, 46, 1333-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.03.011
- Aggarwal BB, Vijayalekshmi RV, Sung B (2009). Targeting inflammatory pathways for prevetion and therapy of cancer: short-term friend, long-term foe. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 425-30. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-0149
- Ahmed OI, Adel AM, Diab DR, Gobran NS (2006). Prognostic value of serum level of interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in metastatic breast cancer patients. Egypt J Immunol, 13, 61-8.
- Hull J, Thomson A, Kwiatkowski D (2000). Association of respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis with the interleukin 8 gene region in UK families. Thorax, 55, 1023-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/thorax.55.12.1023
- Hu LX, Du YY, Zhang Y, Pan YY (2012). Lack of association between Interleukin-8-251 T>A polymorphism and colorectal cancer risk: a meta-analysis based on 3,019 cases and 3,984 controls. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5075-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.5075
- Lee EB, Kim JY, Zhao J (2007). Haplotype association of IL-8 gene with Behcet's disease. Tissue Antigens, 69, 128-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-0039.2006.00736.x
- Lee WP, Tai DI, Lan KH, et al (2005). The IL8 -251T Allele of the Interleukin-8 promoter is associated with increased risk of gastric carcinoma featuring diffuse-type histopathology in Chinese Population. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 6431-41. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-0942
- Li K, Yao S, Liu S, Wang B, Mao D (2009). Genetic polymorphisms of interleukin 8 and risk of ulcerative colitis in the Chinese population. Clin Chem Acta, 405, 30-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2009.03.053
- Lin WW, Karin M (2007). A cytokine mediated link between innate immunity, inflammation and cancer. J Clin Invest, 117, 1175-83. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI31537
- Lurje G, Zhang W, Schultheis AM, et al (2008). Polymorphisms in VEGF and IL-8 predict tumor recurrence in stage III colon cancer. Ann Oncol, 19, 1734-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdn368
- Mantovani A (2009). Cancer related inflammation: the seven the hall mark of cancer. Am Soc Clin Oncol, 1092, 1-10.
- Mayne ST, Buenconsejo J, Janerich DT (1999). Previous lung disease and risk of lung cancer among men and women nonsmokers. Am J Epidemiol, 149, 13-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009722
- McCarron SL, Edwards S, Evans PR, et al (2002). Influence of cytokine gene polymorphisms on the development of prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 62, 3369-72.
- Millar HJ, Nemeth JA, McCabe FL, Pikounis B, Wickstrom E (2008). Circulating human interleukin-8 as an indicator of cancer progression in a nude rat orthotopic human non-small cell lung carcinoma model. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 2180-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-2915
- Mukaida N, Shiroo M, Matsushima K (1989). Genomic structure of the human monocyte-derived neutrophil chemotactic factor IL-8. J Immunol, 143, 1366-71.
- Mustapha MA, Shahpudin SN, Aziz AA, Ankathil R (2012). Risk modification of colorectal cancer susceptibility by interleukin-8 -251T>A polymorphism in Malaysians. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 2668-73. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i21.2668
- Ohyauchi M, Imatani A, Yonechi M, et al (2005). The polymorphism interleukin 8 -251 A/T influences the susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori related gastric diseases in the Japanese population. Gut, 54, 330-5. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2003.033050
- Peebles KA, Lee JM, Mao JT, et al (2007). Inflammation and lung carcinogenesis: applying findings in prevention and treatment. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 7, 1405-21. https://doi.org/10.1586/14737126.96.36.1995
- Qin X, Deng Y, Liao XC, et al (2012). The IL-8 gene polymorphisms and the risk of the hepatitis B virus/infected patients. DNA Cell Biol, 31, 1125-30. https://doi.org/10.1089/dna.2011.1438
- Shahzad A, Knapp M, Lang I, Kohler G (2010). Interleukin 8 (IL-8) - a universal biomarker. Int Arch Med, 3, 11. https://doi.org/10.1186/1755-7682-3-11
- Song B, Zhang D, Wang S, Zheng H, Wang X (2009). Association of Interleukin-8 with cachexia from patients with low-third gastric cancer. Comp Funct Genomics, [Epub ahead of print].
- Taguchi A, Ohmiya N, Shirai K, et al (2005). Interleukin-8 promoter polymorphism increases the risk of atrophic gastritis and gastric cancer in Japan. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 2487-93. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0326
- Takizawa H, Tanaka M, Takami K, et al (2000). Increased expression of inflammatory mediators in small-airway epithelium from tobacco smokers. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 278, 906-13.
- Vicari AP, Caux C (2002). Chemokines in cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev, 13, 143-54.Wang N, Zhou R, Wang C, et al (2012). -251 T/A polymorphism of the interleukin-8 gene and cancer risk: a HuGE review and meta-analysis based on 42 case-control studies. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 2831-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1042-5
- Wang Z, Wang C, Zhao Z, et al (2013). Association between -251A>T polymorphism in the interleukin-8 gene and oral cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Gene, 2, 168-76.
- Waugh DJ, Wilson C (2008). The Interleukin-8 pathway in cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 6735-41. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-4843
- Wei YS, Lan Y, Tang RG, et al (2007). Single nucleotide polymorphism and haplotype association of the interleukin-8 gene with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Clin Immunol, 125, 309-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clim.2007.07.010
- Xie K (2001). Interleukin-8 and human cancer biology. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev, 12, 375-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6101(01)00016-8
- Xue H, Liu J, Lin B, et al (2012). A meta-analysis of Interleukin-8 -251 promoter polymorphism associated with gastric cancer risk. PLoS One, 7, 28083. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0028083
- Assessment of the Prognostic Value of Methylation Status and Expression Levels of FHIT, GSTP1 and p16 in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer in Egyptian Patients vol.15, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4281
- Inferring Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in MicroRNA Binding Sites of Lung Cancer-related Inflammatory Genes vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3601
- Interleukin-8 and Interleukin-17 for Cancer vol.32, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3109/07357907.2014.898156
- Meta-Analysis of the Association between the rs8034191 Polymorphism in AGPHD1 and Lung Cancer Risk vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2713
- Interleukin-8 -251A/T gene polymorphism and lung cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis vol.19, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.12466
- Influence of functional polymorphisms in TNF-α, IL-8, and IL-10 cytokine genes on mRNA expression levels and risk of gastric cancer vol.36, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3593-x
- Association of TNFα−308, IFNγ+874, and IL10−1082 gene polymorphisms and the risk of non-small cell lung cancer in the population of the South Indian state of Telangana vol.21, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-016-0972-2