- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Hookah Smoking: Characteristics, Behavior and Perceptions of Youth Smokers in Pune, India
- Kakodkar, Pradnya V. (Medilinkers Research Consultancy) ;
- Bansal, Shruti S. (Dr. DY Patil Dental College and Hospital)
- 발행 : 2013.07.30
Background: Hookah smoking has been referred to as a global tobacco epidemic by public health officials. This study aimed to investigate the characteristics, behaviour and perceptions related to hookah smoking among the youth smokers in Pune. Methods: Two hundred and eighty established hookah smokers participated in this study. Data was collected using a 29-item questionnaire, constructed using three main domains: Characteristics (socio-demographic and personal), behaviour and perceptions (about harmful effects in comparison to cigarette smoking). Results: The results indicated that the mean age of starting hookah smoking was 17.3 years; 75% of participants did not have parental acceptance; light-headedness, dizziness and headache were most common reported nicotine effects, post hookah smoking. Hookah smoking on a daily basis was reported by 24.6% participants. The mean time of hookah session was 1 hour and 19 minutes. 68.2% participants were reported to smoke hookah in hookah-cafes and 35.7% participants were found to share the hookah. Some 66.7% participants had no intention to quit. Most of them (71-80%) had misperception about the safety of hookah smoking over cigarette smoking and 54-82% participants were unaware of health effects. Conclusions: Educational intervention is urgently needed to create awareness among the youth about the harmful effects of hookah smoking.
Hookah smoking;youth;perceptions;harmful effects;India
- Anjum Q, Ahmed F, Ashfaq T (2008). Knowledge, attitude and perception of water pipe smoking (Shisha) among adolescents aged 14-19 years. J Pak Med Assoc, 58, 312-7.
- Asfar T, Ward KD, Eissenberg T, Maziak W (2005). Comparison of patterns of use, beliefs, and attitudes related to waterpipe between beginning and established smokers. BMC Public Health, 25, 5-19.
- Aljarrah K, Ababneh ZQ, Al-Delaimy WK (2009). Perceptions of hookah smoking harmfulness: predictors and characteristics among current hookah users. Tob Induc Dis, 5, 16. https://doi.org/10.1186/1617-9625-5-16
- Ahmed B, Jacob P, Allen F, Benowitz N (2011). Attitudes and practices of hookah smokers in the San Francisco Bay Area. J Psychoactive Drugs, 43, 146-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/02791072.2011.587707
- AL-Naggar RA, Saghir Fatma SA (2011). Water pipe (Shisha) smoking and associated factors among Malaysian University Students. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3041-7
- Braun RE, Glassman T, Wohlwend J, Whewell A, Reindl DM (2012). Hookah use among college students from a Midwest University. J Community Health, 37, 294-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-011-9444-9
- Brockman LN, Pumper MA, Christakis DA, Moreno MA (2012). Hookah's new popularity among US college students: a pilot study of the characteristics of hookah smokers and their Facebook displays. BMJ Open, 2, 1709. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001709
- Chaouachi K (2009). Hookah (Shisha, Narghile) Smoking and environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). A critical review of the relevant literature and the public health consequences. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 6, 798-843. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph6020798
- Combrink A, Irwin N, Laudin G, et al (2010). High prevalence of hookah smoking among secondary school students in a disadvantaged community in Johannesburg. S Afr Med J, 10, 297-9.
- Dar-Odeh NS, Bakri FG, Al-Omiri MK, et al (2010). Narghile (water pipe) smoking among university students in Jordan: prevalence, pattern and beliefs. Harm Reduct J, 7, 10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7517-7-10
- Deshpande A, Kudtarkar P, Dhaware D, Chowgule R (2010). Study of secondhand smoke levels pre and post implementation of the comprehensive smoking ban in Mumbai. Indian J Community Med, 35, 409-13. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-0218.69269
- Jordan HM, Delnevo CD (2010). Emerging tobacco products: hookah use among New Jersey youth. Prev Med, 51, 394-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2010.08.016
- Knishkowy B, Amitai Y (2005). Water-pipe (narghile) smoking: an emerging health risk behavior. Pediatrics, 116,113-9. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-2173
- Maziak W, Fouad FM, Asfar T, et al (2004). Prevalence and characteristics of narghile smoking among university students in Syria. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis, 8, 882-9.
- Maziak W, Rastam S, Ibrahim I, et al (2009). CO exposure, puff topography, and subjective effects in waterpipe tobacco smokers. Nicotine Tob Res, 11, 806-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntp066
- Martinasek MP, McDermott RJ, Martini L (2011). Waterpipe (hookah) tobacco smoking among youth. Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care, 41, 34-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cppeds.2010.10.001
- Nuzzo E, Shensa A, Kim KH, et al (2013). Associations between hookah tobacco smoking knowledge and hookah smoking behavior among US college students. Health Educ Res, 28, 92-100. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cys095
- Poyrazoglu S, Sarli S, Gencer Z, Gunay O (2010). Waterpipe (narghile) smoking among medical and non-medical university students in Turkey. Ups J Med Sci, 115, 210-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/03009734.2010.487164
- Smith-Simone S, Maziak W, Ward KD, Eissenberg T (2008). Waterpipe tobacco smoking: knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behavior in two US samples. Nicotine Tob Res, 10, 393-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200701825023
- Report (2008). The Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places. The Gazette of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; Notification GSR. 417 (E) No. 304.
- Waterpipes and Electronic Cigarettes: Increasing Prevalence and Expanding Science vol.27, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1021/tx500200j
- Prevalence of Dokha Use among Secondary School Students in Ajman, United Arab Emirates vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.427
- The allure of the waterpipe: a narrative review of factors affecting the epidemic rise in waterpipe smoking among young persons globally vol.24, pp.Suppl 1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051906
- Tobacco, Nicotine, and Headache vol.55, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/head.12620
- Comparison of Shisha Smoking Behavior among Medical and Pharmacy Students vol.06, pp.07, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/jbbs.2016.67027
- The Influence of Drinking Motives on Hookah use Frequency Among Young Multi-Substance Users vol.14, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-016-9633-y
- Effectiveness of health warnings for waterpipe tobacco smoking among college students vol.61, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-016-0805-0
- Knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and patterns of waterpipe use among Jordanian adults who exclusively smoke waterpipes pp.1873-1953, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1474515117719592
- Urban college student self-report of hookah use with health care providers vol.66, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2018.1440586