- Volume 14 Issue 7
Breast cancer is the most frequent malignancy of women worldwide. It is the leading cause of female cancer related disability and mortality. In Saudi Arabia breast cancer ranks first among cancerous diseases in females. In the Gulf region, and especially in Saudi Arabia, few studies have been conducted to address breast cancer awareness. The purpose of the current study was therefore to investigate the level of breast cancer awareness among Saudi females in Jeddah, focusing on knowledge of breast cancer warning signs, risk factors, screening programs and breast self-examination (BSE). The design of this study was an exploratory correlational analysis. The sample comprised 200 Saudi females aged 20 and older living in Jeddah. Data were collected using face-to-face interviews. Breast cancer awareness was measured using a modified Arabic version of the Breast Cancer Awareness Measure (Breast CAM) version 2. Descriptive statistical analysis, Pearson's Product Moment correlation coefficients and ANOVA test were used to answer study questions. Out of 200 participants, 50.5% were aware of breast lump as a warning sign of breast cancer, 57.5% claimed that family history was risk factor, 20.5% had undergone breast screening, 79% heard about BSE, and 47.5% knew how to perform BSE. Findings indicated that Saudi females level of awareness of breast cancer is very inadequate. Public awareness interventions are needed in order to overcome an ever-increasing burden of this disease among Saudi females.
Breast cancer;awareness;adult females;Jeddah;Saudi Arabia
- Abdel Hadi M (2000). Breast cancer awareness among health professionals. Ann Saudi Med, 20, 135-6.
- Agarwal G, Pradeep V, Aggarwal V, Yip H, Cheung S (2007).Spectrum of breast cancer in Asian women. World J Sur,31, 1031-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-005-0585-9
- Alam A (2006). Knowledge of breast cancer and its risk and protective factors among women in Riyadh. Ann Saudi Med, 26, 272-7.
- Alharbi N, Alshammari M, Almutairi B, Makboul G, El-Shazly M (2012). Knowledge, awareness, and practices concerning breast cancer among Kuwaiti female school teachers. AJM, 48, 75-82.
- American Cancer Society, Breast cancer facts and figures, 2012. [http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsfigures/breastcancerfactsfigures/breast-cancer-facts-andfigures- 2011-2012].
- Azaiza F, Cohen M (2006). Health beliefs and rates of breast cancer screening among Arab women. J Women Health, 15, 520-30. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2006.15.520
- Baig M, Subramaniam V, Chandrasegar A, Khan T (2011). A population based survey on knowledge and awareness of breast cancer in the suburban females of Sungai Petani, Kedah, Malaysia. IJCRIMPH, 3, 670-9.
- Bener A, Ayub H, Kakil R, Ibrahim W (2008). Patterns of cancer incidence among the population of Qatar: a worldwide comparative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 19-24.
- Bener A, El Ayoubi H, Moore M, et al (2009). Do we need to maximize the breast cancer screening awareness?: Experience with an endogamous society with high fertility. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 599-604.
- Cancer Research United Kingdom, King's College London and University College London (2009). Breast Cancer Awareness Measure (Breast CAM) version 2.
- Chiedozi C, El-Hag A, Kollur M (2003). Breast diseases in the Northern region of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 24, 623-7.
- Dandash K, Al-Mohaimeed A (2007). Knowledge, attitudes, and practices surrounding breast cancer and screening in female teachers of Buraidah, Saudi Arabia. Int J Health Sciences, 1, 61-71.
- Habib F, Salman S, Safwat M, Shalaby S (2010). Awareness and knowledge of breast cancer among university students in Al Madina Al Munawara region. MEJC, 1, 159-66.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer, Breast cancer statistics (2008). [http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheet.asp].
- Jahan S, Al-Saigul M, Abdelgadir H (2006). Breast cancer: Knowledge, attitudes and practices of breast self examination among women in Qassim region of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 27, 1737-41.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E (2009). Cancer Statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 54, 225-9.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center M, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-80. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Linsell L, Burgess C, Ramirez J (2008). Breast cancer awareness among older women. BJC, 99, 1221-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604668
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, et al (2008). Breast cancer in Iran: need for greater women awareness of warning signs and effective screening methods. Asia Pac Fam Med, 7, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1447-056X-7-1
- Saudi Cancer Registry, Cancer incidence reports, 2008. [http://www.scr.org.sa/reports/SCR2008].
- Soskolne V, Marie S, Manor O (2007). Beliefs, recommendations and intentions are important explanatory factors of mammography screening behavior among Muslim Arab women in Israel. Health Educ Res, 22, 666-76.
- WHO (2008). Breast cancer: Data and statistics.
- WHO (2011). Breast cancer: Prevention and control.
- Knowledge, attitude and practice of breast self examination and breast cancer among female medical students in Taif, Saudi Arabia vol.04, pp.02, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojpm.2014.42011
- Awareness of Cancer and Cancer Screening by Korean Community Residents vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4939
- Awareness of Risk Factors for Cancer among Omani adults- A Community Based Study vol.15, pp.13, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5401
- Are Women in Kuwait Aware of Breast Cancer and Its Diagnostic Procedures? vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6307
- Breast Cancer Screening Awareness, Knowledge, and Practice among Arab Women in the United Arab Emirates: A Cross-Sectional Survey vol.9, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0105783
- Evaluation of Breast Cancer Awareness among Female University Students in University of Sharjah, UAE vol.04, pp.01, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4236/abcr.2015.41002
- Predictors of Knowledge Level and Awareness towards Breast Cancer among Turkish Females vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.275
- Breast Cancer Awareness at the Community Level among Women in Delhi, India vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5243
- Impact of a Breast Health Awareness Activity on the Knowledge Level of the Participants and its Association with Socio-Demographic Features vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.5817
- Knowledge Regarding Early Detection of Cancer among Romanian Women having Relatives with Cancer vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1091
- Knowledge and Awareness about Breast Cancer and its Early Symptoms among Medical and Non-Medical Students of Southern Punjab, Pakistan vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.979
- The Spectrum of Genetic Mutations in Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.6.2177
- Knowledge, Barriers and Attitudes Towards Breast Cancer Mammography Screening in Jordan vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3981
- A Cross Sectional Study of the Knowledge and Practice of Self-Breast Examination among Market Women at the Makola Shopping Mall, Accra, Ghana vol.05, pp.03, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/abcr.2016.53013
- Development of a Breast Cancer Awareness Scale for Thai Women: Moving towards a Validated Measure vol.17, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.2.851
- I Do Not Even Say "It" - a Mixed Methods Study on Breast Cancer Awareness of Omani Women vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2247
- Cultural Beliefs and Attitudes About Breast Cancer and Screening Practices Among Arabic Women in Australia vol.39, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000325
- Transcultural adaptation of the Breast Cancer Awareness Measure vol.63, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/inr.12265
- Low Awareness of Breast Cancer and Considerable Barriers to Early Presentation Among Saudi Women at a Primary Care Setting pp.1543-0154, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-016-1119-x
- Women’s Performance of Breast Cancer Screening (Breast Self-Examination, Clinical Breast Exam and Mammography) vol.06, pp.01, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4236/abcr.2017.61002
- Awareness of cervical cancer and socio-demographic variations among women in Libya: An exploratory study in Az-Zawiya city pp.09615423, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12750
- Breast cancer awareness, attitude and practices among female university students: A descriptive study from Jordan pp.1096-4665, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/07399332.2017.1368516
- Impact of a Breast Cancer Educational Program on Female University Students’ Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1304-6
- Cancer Awareness and Barriers to Seeking Medical Help Among Syrian Refugees in Jordan: a Baseline Study pp.1543-0154, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1260-1