- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Clinical Significance and Prognostic Value of Pentraxin-3 as Serologic Biomarker for Lung Cancer
- Zhang, Dai (Department of Clinical Laboratory, the First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine) ;
- Ren, Wei-Hong (Department of Clinical Laboratory, the First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine) ;
- Gao, Yun (Center of Clinical Laboratory, Henan Province Tumour Hospital) ;
- Wang, Nian-Yue (Department of Clinical Laboratory, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Southeast University) ;
- Wu, Wen-Jun (Department of Clinical Laboratory, the First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine)
- Published : 2013.07.30
Purposes: Lung cancer is prevalent worldwide and improvements in timely and effective diagnosis are need. Pentraxin-3 as a novel serum marker for lung cancer (LC) has not been validated in large cohort studies. The aim of the study was to assess its clinical value in diagnosis and prognosis. Methods: We analyzed serum PTX-3 levels in a total of 1,605 patients with LC, benign lung diseases and healthy controls, as well as 493 non-lung cancer patients including 12 different types of cancers. Preoperative and postoperative data were further assessed in patients undergoing LC resection. The diagnostic performance of PTX-3 for LC and early-stage LC was assessed using receiver operating characteristics (ROC) by comparing with serum carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), cytokeratin 19 fragments (CYFRA 21-1). Results: Levels of PTX-3 in serum were significantly higher in patients with LC than all controls. ROC curves showed the optimum diagnostic cutoff was 8.03ng/mL (AUC 0.823, [95%CI 0.789-0.856], sensitivity 72.8%, and specificity 77.3% in the test cohort; 0.802, [95%CI 0.762-0.843], sensitivity 69.7%, and specificity 76.4% in the validate cohort). Similar diagnostic performance of PTX-3 was observed for early-stage LC. PTX-3 decreased following surgical resection of LC and increased with tumor recurrence. Significantly elevated PTX-3 levels were also seen in patients with non-lung cancers. Conclusions: The present data revealed that PTX-3 was significantly increased in both tissue and serum samples in LC patients. PTX-3 is a valuable biomarker for LC and improved identification of patients with LC and early-stage LC from those with non-malignant lung diseases.
Lung neoplasm;serum marker;pentraxin-3;diagnosis
Supported by : Henan Basic and Frontier Technology Research
- Alessandro R, Fontana S, Kohn E, De Leo G (2005). Proteomic strategies and their application in cancer research. Tumori, 9, 447-55.
- Allin KH, Bojesen SE, Nordestgaard BG (2009). Baseline C-Reactive Protein Is Associated With Incident Cancer and Survival in Patients With Cancer. J Clin Oncol, 27, 2217-24. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.19.8440
- Balkwill F, Mantovani A (2001). Inflammation and cancer: back to Virchow? Lancet, 357, 539-45 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)04046-0
- Banks R, Selby P (2003). Clinical proteomics-insights into pathologies and benefits for patients. Lancet, 362, 415-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14096-2
- Deban L, Jaillon S, Garlanda C, et al (2010). Pentraxins in innate immunity: lessons from PTX3. Cell Tissue Res, 343, 237-49.
- Diamandis EP, Goodglick L, Planque C, et al (2011). Pentraxin-3 is a novel biomarker of lung Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 2395-99. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-3024
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Garlanda C, Bottazzi B, Bastone A, et al (2005). Pentraxins at the crossroads between innate mmunity,inflammation, matrix deposition, and female fertility. Annu Rev Immunol, 23, 337-66. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.immunol.23.021704.115756
- Groome PA, Bolejack V, Cruwley JJ, et a1 (2007).The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: validation of the proposals for revision of the T, N, and M descriptors and consequent stage groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM classification of malignant tumours. J Thorac Oncol, 2, 694-705. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31812d05d5
- Hassanein M, Callison JC, Callaway-Lane C, et al (2012). The state of molecular biomarkers for the early detection of lung cancer. Cancer Prev Res, 5, 992-1006. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0441
- IARC Working Group (1997). IARC handbook of cancer prevention, volume 1: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Lyon (France): IARC-WHO.
- Jackson JR, Seed MP, Kircher CH, et al (1997). The codependence of angiogenesis and chronic inflammation. FASEB J, 11, 457-65.
- Jaiswal M, LaRusso NF, Burgart LJ, et al (2000). Inflammatory cytokines induce DNA damage and inhibit DNA repair in cholangiocarcinoma cells by a nitric oxide-dependent mechanism. Cancer Res, 60, 184-90.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Keller A, Leidinger P, Gislefoss R, et a1(201l). STable serum miRNA profiles as potential tool for non-invasive lung cancer diagnosis. RNA Biol, 8, 506-16. https://doi.org/10.4161/rna.8.3.14994
- Kulasingam V, Diamandis EP (2008). Strategies for discovering novelcancer biomarkers through utilization of emerging technologies. Nat Clin Pract Oncol, 5, 588-99. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncponc1187
- Kuper H, Adami HO, Trichopoulos D (2000). Infections as a major prevenTable cause of human cancer. J Intern Med, 248, 171-83. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2796.2000.00742.x
- Coussens LM, Werb Z (2002). Inflammation and cancer. Nature, 19, 860-67
- Locatelli M, Ferrero S, Martinelli Boneschi F, et al.The long pentraxin PTX3 as a correlate of cancer-related inflammation and prognosis of malignancy in gliomas(2013). J Neuroimmunol, 260, 99-106
- Locker GY, Hamilton S, Harris J, et al (2006). ASCO 2006 update of recommendations for the use of tumor markers in gastrointestinal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 24, 5313-27. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.2644
- Martini N,Baills MS, Burt ME, et a1(1995). Incidence of local recurrence and second primaries in resected stage I lung cancer. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 109, 120-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5223(95)70427-2
- McWilliams A, Lmn B, Sutedja T (2009). Early proximal lung cancer diagnosis and treatment. Eur Respir J, 33, 656-65. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00124608
- Okutani D (2006). The role of long pentraxin 3, a new inflammatory mediator in inflammatory responses. Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi, 29, 107-13. https://doi.org/10.2177/jsci.29.107
- Pepe MS, Etzioni R, Feng Z, et al (2001). Phases of biomarker development for early detection of cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 93, 1054-61. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/93.14.1054
- Planque C, Kulasingam V, Smith CR, et al (2009). Identification of five candidate lung cancer biomarkers by proteomics analysis of conditioned media of four lung cancer cell lines. Mol Cell Proteomics, 8, 2746-58. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M900134-MCP200
- Pujol JL, Grenier J, Daures JP, et al (1993). Serum fragment of cytokeratin subunit 19 measured by CYFRA 21-1 immunoradiometric assay as a marker of lung cancer. Cancer Res, 53, 61-6.
- Rabman SM, Gonzalez AL, Li M, et a1 (2011). Lung cancer diagnosis from proteomic analysis of preinvasive lesions. Cancer Res, 71, 3009-17. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-2510
- Ravenna L, Sale P, Di Vito M, et al (2009). Up-regulation of the inflammatory-reparative phenotype in human prostate carcinoma. The Prostate, 69, 1245-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20966
- Reed MF, Molloy M, Dalton EL, et al (2004). Survival after resection for lung cancer is the outcome that matters. Am J Surg, 188, 598-602. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2004.07.037
- Sehramm M, Wrobel C, Born I, et al (2011). Equivocal cytology in lung cancer diagnosis: improvement of diagnostic accuracy using adjuvant multicolor FISH, DNA-image cytometry, and quantitative promoter hypermethylation analysis. Cancer Cytopathol, 119, 177-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncy.20142
- Shinkai T, Saijo N, Tominaga K, et al (1986). Serial plasma carcinoembryonic antigen measurement for monitoring patients with advanced lung cancer during chemotherapy. Cancer, 57, 1318-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19860401)57:7<1318::AID-CNCR2820570711>3.0.CO;2-2
- Spiro SG, Gould MK, Colice GL,et al (2007). Initial evaluation of the patient with lung cancer: symptoms, signs, laboratory tests, and paraneoplastic syndromes: ACCP evidenced-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition). Chest, 132, S149-60. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.07-1358
- Wagner PD, Verma M, Srivastava S (2004). Challenges for biomarkers in cancer detection. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1022, 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1318.003
- Willeke F, Assad A, Findeisen P, et al (2005). Overexpression of a member of the pentraxins family (PTX3) in human soft tissue liposarcoma. Eur J Cancer, 42, 2639-46.
- Prediction of Lung Cancer Based on Serum Biomarkers by Gene Expression Programming Methods vol.15, pp.21, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9367
- Inflammation, Oxidative Stress and L-Fucose as Indispensable Participants in Schistosomiasis-Associated Colonic Dysplasia vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1125
- Pentraxin-3 as a prognostic marker in patients with small-cell lung cancer vol.31, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0207-1
- Genome-wide expression analysis suggests a crucial role of dysregulation of matrix metalloproteinases pathway in undifferentiated thyroid carcinoma vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-015-1372-0
- Increased Plasma Levels of Pentraxin 3 Are Associated with Poor Prognosis of Colorectal Carcinoma Patients vol.240, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.240.39
- IL-6 trans-signaling increases expression of airways disease genes in airway smooth muscle vol.309, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1152/ajplung.00288.2014
- Increased serum pentraxin-3 level predicts poor prognosis in patients with colorectal cancer after curative surgery, a cohort study vol.97, pp.40, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000011780
- Serum Lipidomics Profiling to Identify Biomarkers for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5276240