- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Bcl-2 Gene Expression in Human Breast Cancers in Iran
- Rostamizadeh, Leila (Biotechnology Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Fakhrjou, Ashraf (Department of Pathology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Montazeri, Vahid (Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Estiar, Mehrdad Asghari (Students' Scientific Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Naghavi-Behzad, Mohammad (Medical Philosophy and History Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Hosseini, Somayyeh (Genetics and Genomics Department, UAB) ;
- Sakhinia, Masoud (Faculty of Medicine, University of Liverpool) ;
- Sakhinia, Ebrahim (Biotechnology Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.07.30
Background: Breast cancer is among the five most common cancers and ranks first among cancers diagnosed in Iranian women. Screening and treatment of this disease with molecular methods, especially regarding high incidences at early age and advanced stage, is essential. Several genes with altered expression have been identified by cDNA microarray studies in breast cancer, with the Bcl-2 gene indicated as a likely candidate. In this study, we studied Bcl-2 gene expression levels in parallel tumor and non-tumor breast tissues. Materials and Methods: Forty samples including 21 tumor, 16 non tumor (marginal) and 3 benign breast tissues which were all pathologically diagnosed, were subjected to RNA extraction and polyA RT-PCR with the expression level of Bcl-2 quantified using real-time PCR. Results: There is higher expression levels of the Bcl-2 gene in tumor samples compared with marginal samples, but not attaining significance(p>0.05). Bcl-2 expression in 14 (66.7%) of the cases of tumor samples and 9 (56.3%) cases of the marginal samples were positive. Comparison of the expression of the Bcl-2 gene in histological grade showed that a high expression of Bcl-2 was associated with a high histological grade (p<0.41). Conclusions: Our data suggests that dysregulated Bcl-2 gene expression is potentially involved in the pathogenesis of breast cancer. Using gene expression analysis may significantly improve our ability for screening cancer patients and will prove a powerful tool in the diagnosis and prognostic evaluation of the disease whilst aiding the cooperative group trials in the Bcl-2 based therapy project.
Breast Cancer;Bcl-2;over expression;real-time quantitative PCR
- Amirnia M, Babaie-Ghazani A, Fakhrjou A, et al (2012). Immunohistochemical study of cyclooxygenase-2 in skin tumors. J Dermatolog Treat, [Epub ahead of print].
- Carlquist JF, Anderson JL (2011). Using pharmacogenetics in real time to guide warfarin initiation A clinician update. Circulation, 124, 2554-9. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.019737
- Chipuk JE, Moldoveanu T, Llambi F, et al (2010). The Bcl-2 family reunion. Molecular Cell, 37, 299-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcel.2010.01.025
- Cleland MM, Norris KL, Karbowski M, et al (2010). Bcl-2 family interaction with the mitochondrial morphogenesis machinery. Cell Death and Differentiation, 18, 235-47.
- Das S, Sen S, Mukherjee A, et al (2012). Risk factors of breast cancer among women in eastern india: a tertiary hospital based case control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4979-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4979
- Dawson S, Makretsov N, Blows FM, et al (2010). Bcl-2 in breast cancer: a favourable prognostic marker across molecular subtypes and independent of adjuvant therapy received. Bri J Cancer, 103, 668-75. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605736
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2012). Globocan 2008 v2.0, cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010. This report provide estimates of the incidence of major type of cancers, at the national level, for 184 countries of the world.
- Ghojazadeh M, Azar ZF, Saleh P, et al (2012). Knowledge and attitude of Iranian University students toward human papilloma virus. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6115-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6115
- Ghojazadeh M, Naghavi-Behzad M, Azar ZF, et al (2012). Parental knowledge and attitudes about human papilloma virus in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6169-73. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6169
- Ghojazadeh M, Mohammadi M, Azami-Aghdash S, et al (2013). Estimation of Cancer Cases Using Capture-Recapture Method in Northwest Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3237-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3237
- Gyorffy B, Lanczky A, Eklund AC, et al (2010). An online survival analysis tool to rapidly assess the effect of 22,277 genes on breast cancer prognosis using microarray data of 1,809 patients. Breast Cancer Res Tr, 123, 725-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-009-0674-9
- Harirchi I, Kolahdoozan S, Karbakhsh M, et al (2011). Twenty years of breast cancer in Iran: downstaging without a formal screening program. Ann Oncol, 22, 93-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq303
- Hoerger TJ, Ekwueme DU, Miller JW, et al (2011). Estimated effects of the national breast and cervical cancer early detection program on breast cancer mortality. Am J Prev Med, 40, 397-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.12.017
- Houssami N, Abraham LA, Miglioretti DL, et al (2011). Accuracy and outcomes of screening mammography in women with a personal history of early-stage breast cancer. J Am Med Assoc, 305, 790-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.188
- Jaberipour M, Habibagahi M, Hosseini A, et al (2010). Detection of B cell lymphoma 2, tumor protein 53, and FAS gene transcripts in blood cells of patients with breast cancer. Indian J Cancer, 47, 412-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.73576
- Logan J, Edwards K, Saunders NA, et al (2009). Real-time PCR: current technology and applications, Caister Academic Pr. Caister Academic Press: 7-22.
- Luo X, Zhang J, Wang H, et al (2012). PolyA RT-PCR-based quantification of microRNA by using universal TaqMan probe. Biotechnol Lett, 34, 627-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-011-0813-3
- Martinou JC, Youle RJ (2011). Mitochondria in apoptosis: Bcl-2 family members and mitochondrial dynamics. Developmental Cell, 21, 92-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.devcel.2011.06.017
- Moul JW (2012). Angiogenesis, p53, Bcl-2 and Ki-67 in the progression of prostate cancer after radical prostatectomy. Eur Urol, 35, 399-407.
- Razavi SE, Aaghajani H, Haghazali M, et al (2009). The most common cancers in Iranian women. Iran J Public Health, 38, 109-12.
- Reddy N, Ninan T, Tabar L, et al (2012). The results of a breast cancer screening camp at a district level in Rural India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6067-72. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6067
- Roder DM, de Silva P, Zorbas HN, et al (2012). Adherence to recommended treatments for early invasive breast cancer: decisions of women attending surgeons in the breast cancer audit of Australia and New Zealand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1675-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1675
- Rajput S, Kumar BN, Sarkar S, et al (2013). Targeted apoptotic effects of thymoquinone and tamoxifen on XIAP mediated akt regulation in breast cancer. PloS one, 8, 61342. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0061342
- Sadjadi A, Nouraie M, Ghorbani A, et al (2009). Epidemiology of breast cancer in the Islamic republic of Iran: first results from a population-based cancer registry. East Mediterr Health J, 15, 1426-31.
- Smerage JB, Budd GT, Doyle GV, et al (2013). Monitoring apoptosis and Bcl-2 on circulating tumor cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Molecular Oncology, 7, 680-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molonc.2013.02.013
- Tang L, Tan YX, Jiang BG, et al (2013). The prognostic significance and therapeutic potential of hedgehog signaling in intrahepatic cholangiocelluar carcinoma. Clin Canc Res, 19, 2014-24. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-0349
- Van Slooten HJ, Clahsen PC, van Dierendonck JH, et al (1996). Expression of Bcl-2 in node-negative breast cancer is associated with various prognostic factors, but does not predict response to one course of perioperative chemotherapy. Bri J Cancer, 74, 78-85. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1996.319
- Won KY, Kim GY, Kim YW, et al (2010). Clinicopathologic correlation of beclin-1 and Bcl-2 expression in human breast cancer. Hum Pathol, 41, 107-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2009.07.006
- Yan JJ, Chen FF, Tsai YC, et al (2009). Immunohistochemical detection of Bcl-2 protein in small cell carcinomas. Oncology, 53, 6-11.
- Knowledge Production Status of Iranian Researchers in the Gastric Cancer Area: Based on the Medline Database vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.5083
- Low Expression of the bcl2 Gene in Gastric Adenocarcinomas in Mazandaran Province of Iran vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6067
- Ki-67/MIB-1 as a Prognostic Marker in Cervical Cancer - a Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6997
- Expression of Cox-2 and Bcl-2 in Paget's Disease of the Breast vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1041
- Gene Expression Analyses of HER-2/neu and ESR1 in Patients with Breast Cancer vol.60, pp.0, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-4324-2017160733