- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Epidemiology of Esophageal Cancer in Ardabil Province During 2003-2011
- Amani, Firouz (Department of Community Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Science) ;
- Ahari, Saeid Sadeghieh (Department of Community Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Science) ;
- Akhghari, Lyla (General practitioner, Ardabil University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2013.07.30
Background: The aim of this research was to perform an epidemiologic survey of esophageal cancer in Ardabil province. Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional descriptive study, 661 patients diagnosed with EC were studied from March 2002 to May 2011 e. The necessary data were collected with a checklist from the documents in Ardabil Cancer Registry (ACR) and analyzed by statistical methods with SPSS.18 software. Results: Of the total new cases of EC registered in ARC during study period, 430 (65.1%) of patients were male with the male to female standard ratio was 1.18, with a statistically significant gender bias. The most common morphology of EC was squamous cell carcinoma (SCC, 68.8%) followed by adenocarcinoma (28.5%). It was observed that in most of patients, EC lesions were in the middle third of esophagus. In addition, most patients were rural and about 40% had smoking habits. The age-standardized incidence rate of cancers was 48.4 per 100,000 among females and males. The annual incidence rates in males and females was 7.1 and 6.7 per 100,000; respectively. Conclusions: Results showed that the prevalence and annual incidence rate of cancer in Ardabil province is lower than other areas of the country with a male predominance and a relatively high proprortion of adenocarcinomas.
Esophageal cancer;epidemiology;risk factor;Ardabil
- Anvari K, Aledavood A, Sabouri G (2011). Esophageal Cancer in Northeast of Iran. Iran J Cancer Prev, 4, 125-9.
- Babaeei M, Jafarzaadeh H, Sajadi S, Samadi F, Yazdanbod A (2009). Cancer Incidence and mortality in ardabil: report of an ongoing population-based cancer registry in Iran, 2004-2006. Iran J Public Health, 38, 35-45.
- Boyle P, Levin B (2008). World Cancer Report, IARC.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2008). GLOBOCAN v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet] Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2010. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr. Accessed May 2011.
- Freedman ND, Abnet CC, Leitzmann MF, et al (2007). A prospective study of tobacco, alcohol, and the risk of esophageal and gastric cancer subtypes. Am J Epidemiol, 165, 1424-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm051
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Heidarzadeh A, Naghipour MR (2012). A 10-year Study of Esophageal Cancer in Guilan Province, Iran: The Guilan Cancer Registry Study (GCRS). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6277-83. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6277
- Hajian K (2003). The epidemiologic investigation of patients suffering esophageal Cancer visiting Shahid Rajai radiotherapy center of Babolsar. J Gorgan Univ med sci, 5, 73-9.
- Jalali S, Mahami S (2005). The epidemiologic and pathologic investigation of upper digestive tract cancers (esophagus and stomach) in Ardabil clinic specialized in digestive system in 2000-2001. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ardabil University of medical science.
- Igissinov S, Igissinov N, Moore MA, Kalieva Z, Kozhakhmetov S (2012). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in Kazakhstan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 833-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.833
- Mashhadi MA, Nezam K, Bakhshipour AR, Ttorbati TF, Ansarimoghaddam AR (2011). High prevalence of esophageal cancer in South East of Iran. IJHOSCR, 5, 18-21.
- Mirineghad SK, Somi MH, Jangjoo AG, et al (2012). Survival rate and prognostic factors of esophageal cancer in East Azerbaijan Province, North-west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3451-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3451
- Pedram A, Mahmodlou R, Enshayi A, Sepehrvand N (2011). Esophageal cancer in northwestern Iran. Indian J Cancer, 48, 165-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.82875
- Pourfarzi F, Barak M, Babaei M, et al (2011). The features of esophageal cancer in ardabil province:report of a population-based cancer registry in Northwest Iran. Govaresh, 16, 55-60.
- Renehan AG, Tyson M, Egger M, Heller RF, Zwahlen M (2008). Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Lancet, 371, 569-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60269-X
- Semnani Sh, Basharat S, Abdolahi N, et al (2004). Factors associated with esophageal cancer in the southeast part of the Caspian Sea. J Guilan Univ Med Sci, 13, 24-28.
- Wild CP, Hardie LJ (2003). Hardie Reflux, Barrett's oesophagus and adenocarcinoma: burning questions. Nat Rev Cancer, 3, 676-84. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1166
- Yomralioglu T, Ebru H (2009). Geo-Relationship between cancer cases and the environment by GIS: a case study of Trabzon in Turkey. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 6, 3190-204. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph6123190
- Corrao G, Bagnardi V, Zambon A, La Vecchia C (2004). A meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and the risk of 15 diseases. Prev Med, 38, 613-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2003.11.027
- Estimation of Esophageal Cancer Incidence in Tehran by Log-linear Method using Population-based Cancer Registry Data vol.14, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5367
- Upregulation of STK15 in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinomas in a Mongolian Population vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6021
- Genetic Susceptibility to Esophageal Cancer due to CYP1A1 Gene Variant rs4646903 in Tobacco Addicted Patients of Pashtun Ethnicity: a Case Control Study in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province of Pakistan vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6715
- Prevalence and Age, Gender and Geographical Area Distribution of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinomas in North China from 1985 to 2006 vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.1981
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Incidence in East Azerbaijan, Iran: Update on 5 Year Incidence and Trends vol.15, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3945
- Prevalence of Esophageal Cancer in the Northern Part of Afghanistan vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10981
- Epidemiology of Childhood Cancer in Northwest Iran vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5459
- Late Stage and Grave Prognosis of Esophageal Cancer in Thailand vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1747
- Dietary and Demographical Risk Factors for Oesophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the Eastern Anatolian Region of Turkey Where Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers are Endemic vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1913
- Social group disparities in the incidence and prognosis of oesophageal cancer vol.6, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/2050640617751254