- Volume 14 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Biomarkers Screening Between Preoperative and Postoperative Patients in Pancreatic Cancer
- Li, Pei (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Yang, Juan (Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University/Key Laboratory of Environment and Disease-Related Gene, Ministry of Education) ;
- Ma, Qing-Yong (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wu, Zheng (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Huang, Chen (Department of Genetics and Molecular Biology, Medical School of Xi'an Jiaotong University/Key Laboratory of Environment and Disease-Related Gene, Ministry of Education) ;
- Li, Xu-Qi (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wang, Zheng (Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Published : 2013.07.30
Objective: To investigate discriminating protein patterns and potential biomarkers in serum samples between pre/postoperative pancreatic cancer patients and healthy controls. Methods: 23 serum samples from PC patients (12 preoperative and 11 postoperative) and 76 from healthy controls were analyzed using matrix-assisted laser desorption and ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) technique combined with magnetic beads-based weak cation-exchange chromatography (MB-WCX). ClinProTools software selected several markers that made a distinction between pancreatic cancer patients and healthy controls. Results: 49 m/z distinctive peaks were found among the three groups, of which 33 significant peaks with a P < 0.001 were detected. Two proteins could distinguish the preoperative pancreatic cancer patients from the healthy controls. About 15 proteins may be potential biomarkers in assessment of pancreatic cancer resection. Conclusion: MB-MALDI-TOF-MS method could generate serum peptidome profiles of pancreatic cancer and provide a new approach to identify potential biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis of this malignancy.
Pancreatic cancer;biomarker;prognosis;mass spectrometry;magnetic beads
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Blackford A, SerranoOK, Wolfgang CL, et al (2009). SMAD4 gene mutations are associated with poor prognosis in pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 4674-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-09-0227
- Brody JR, Witkiewicz AK, Yeo CJ (2011). The past, present, and future of biomarkers: a need for molecular beacons for the clinical management of pancreatic cancer. Adv Surg, 45, 301-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yasu.2011.04.002
- Carrette O, Demalte I, Scherl A, et al (2003). A panel of cerebrospinal fluid potential biomarkers for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. Proteomics, 3, 1486-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200300470
- Chan A, Diamandis EP, Blasutig IM (2012). Strategies for discovering novel pancreatic cancer biomarkers. J Proteomics, 81, 126-34.
- Chung JC, Oh MJ, Choi SH, et al (2008). Proteomic analysis to identify biomarker proteins in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. ANZ J Surg, 78, 245-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2008.04429.x
- Diamandis EP (2006). Peptidomics for cancer diagnosis: present and future. J Proteome Res, 5, 2079-82. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr060225u
- Fiedler GM, Baumann S, Leichtle A, et al (2007). Standardized peptidome profiling of human urine by magnetic bead separation and matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Clin Chem, 53, 421-8. https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2006.077834
- Fiedler GM, Leichtle AB, Kase J, et al (2009). Serum peptidome profiling revealed platelet factor 4 as a potential discriminating Peptide associated with pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 3812-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2701
- Gao H, Zheng Z, Yue Z, et al (2012). Evaluation of serum diagnosis of pancreatic cancer by using surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Int J Mol Med, 30, 1061-8.
- Goonetilleke KS, Siriwardena AK (2007). Systematic review of carbohydrate antigen (CA 19-9) as a biochemical marker in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol, 33, 266-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2006.10.004
- Guo JH, Wang WJ, Liao P, et al (2010). Application of serum protein profiling in diagnosis, prognosis and evaluation of curative effect of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi, 32, 33-6.
- Infante JR, Matsubayashi H, Sato N, et al (2007). Peritumoral fibroblast SPARC expression and patient outcome with resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 25, 319-25. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.07.8824
- Li J, Zhang Z, Rosenzweig J, et al (2002). Proteomics and bioinformatics approaches for identification of serum biomarkers to detect breast cancer. Clin Chem, 48, 1296-304.
- Liotta LA, Petricoin EF (2006). Serum peptidome for cancer detection: spinning biologic trash into diagnostic gold. J Clin Invest, 116, 26-30.
- Liu C, Pan C, Shen J, et al (2011). MALDI-TOF MS combined with magnetic beads for detecting serum protein biomarkers and establishment of boosting decision tree model for diagnosis of colorectal cancer. Int J Med Sci, 8, 39-47.
- Niederhuber JE, Brennan MF, Menck HR (1995). The National Cancer Data Base report on pancreatic cancer. Cancer, 76, 1671-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19951101)76:9<1671::AID-CNCR2820760926>3.0.CO;2-R
- Palmblad M, Tiss A, Cramer R (2009). Mass spectrometry in clinical proteomics - from the present to the future. Proteomics Clin Appl, 3, 6-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.200800090
- Petricoin EF 3rd, Ornstein DK, Paweletz CP, et al (2002). Serum proteomic patterns for detection of prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 94, 1576-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/94.20.1576
- Petricoin EF, Ardekani AM, Hitt BA, et al (2002). Use of proteomic patterns in serum to identify ovarian cancer. Lancet, 359, 572-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)07746-2
- Petricoin EF, Liotta LA (2003). Mass spectrometry-based diagnostics: the upcoming revolution in disease detection. Clin Chem, 49, 533-4. https://doi.org/10.1373/49.4.533
- Petricoin EF, Zoon KC, Kohn EC, et al (2002). Clinical proteomics: translating benchside promise into bedside reality. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 1, 683-95. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd891
- Pusch W, Flocco MT, Leung SM, et al (2003). Mass spectrometry-based clinical proteomics. Pharmacogenomics, 4, 463-76. https://doi.org/10.1517/phgs.4.4.463.22753
- Qian JY, Mou SH, Liu CB (2012). SELDI-TOF MS combined with magnetic beads for detecting serum protein biomarkers and establishment of a boosting decision tree model for diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1911-15. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1911
- Schaub NP, Jones KJ, Nyalwidhe (2009). Serum proteomic biomarker discovery reflective of stage and obesity in breast cancer patients. J Am Coll Surg, 208, 970-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.12.024
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA, 63, 11-30.
- Spinelli GP, Zullo A, Romiti A, et al (2006). Long-term survival in metastatic pancreatic cancer. JOP, 7, 486-91.
- Tascilar M, Skinner HG, Rosty C, et al (2001). The SMAD4 protein and prognosis of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 7, 4115-21.
- Villanueva J, Shaffer DR, Philip J, et al (2006). Differential exoprotease activities confer tumor-specific serum peptidome patterns. J Clin Invest, 116, 271-84.
- Vincent A, Herman J, Schulick R, et al (2011). Pancreatic cancer. Lancet, 378, 607-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)62307-0
- Wang CL, Wang CI, Liao PC, et al (2009). Discovery of retinoblastoma-associated binding protein 46 as a novel prognostic marker for distant metastasis in nonsmall cell lung cancer by combined analysis of cancer cell secretome and pleural effusion proteome. J Proteome Res, 8, 4428-40. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr900160h
- Weeks ME, Hariharan D, Petronijevic L, et al (2008). Analysis of the urine proteome in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Proteomics Clin Appl, 2, 1047-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/prca.200780164
- Wray CJ, Ahmad SA, Matthews JB, et al (2005). Surgery for pancreatic cancer: recent controversies and current practice. Gastroenterology, 128, 1626-41. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.03.035
- Xue A, Gandy RC, Chung L, et al (2012). Discovery of diagnostic biomarkers for pancreatic cancer in immunodepleted serum by SELDI-TOF MS. Pancreatology, 12, 124-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pan.2012.02.009
- Yang J, Song YC, Dang CX, et al (2012). Serum peptidome profiling in patients with gastric cancer. Clin Exp Med, 12, 79-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10238-011-0149-2
- Yang J, Yang SY, Hu XY, et al (2010). Serum peptidome profiling in patients with lung cancer. Anat Rec, 293, 2027-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.21267
- Zhu D, Wang J, Ren L, et al (2012). Serum proteomic profiling for the early diagnosis of colorectal cancer. J Cell Biochem, 114, 448-55.
- Differential peptidomics assessment of strain and age differences in mice in response to acute cocaine administration vol.135, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jnc.13265
- Plasma Phosphoproteome and Differential Plasma Phosphoproteins with Opisthorchis Viverrini-Related Cholangiocarcinoma vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1011
- Identification of peptide regions of SERPINA1 and ENOSF1 and their protein expression as potential serum biomarkers for gastric cancer vol.36, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3163-2
- Enrichment of serum biomarkers by magnetic metal-organic framework composites vol.409, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-016-0136-2