- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Expression and Significance of ER, PR, VEGF, CA15-3, CA125 and CEA in Judging the Prognosis of Breast Cancer
- Zhang, Su-Jie (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Hu, Yi (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Qian, Hai-Li (National Key Lab of Molecular Oncology, Cancer Institute & Hospital, CAMS) ;
- Jiao, Shun-Chang (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Liu, Zhe-Feng (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Tao, Hai-Tao (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Han, Lu (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Objective: To explore the expression and significance of estrogen receptor (ER), progestrone receptor (PR), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), CA15-3, CA125 and carcinoma embryonic antigen (CEA) expression in judging the prognosis of breast cancer. Materials and Methods: Sixty-five patients with breast cancer undergoing operations in the general surgery department were considered as the observation group, and 50 healthy outpatients of our hospital as the control group. Cubital venous blood was drawn in the morning from fasting patients in the two groups and chemiluminescence immunoassays were used to detect the levels of CA15-3, CA125 and CEA in serum. The follow-up duration was from 4 months to 2 years, and change in levels of the indicators was detected by dynamically drawing blood. After surgery, cancer tissue samples of patients in observation group remained on file (the non-recurrent patients were biopsied). Immunohistochemistry was applied to determine the expression of ER, PR and VEGF in tissue. Results: The effective rate of 12 patients with negative ER and PR expression was 33.3% in the observation group, being associated with prognosis to varying extents. Serum CA15-3, CA125 and CEA in the observation group were all significantly higher than in control group (p<0.01). With increase in pathological staging, levels of serum CA15-3, CA125 and CEA gradually increased (p<0.01). Levels in patients with lymph node metastasis were markedly higher than in those without (p<0.01). In addition, values with distal lymph node metastasis were notably higher than with adjacent lymph node metastasis (p<0.01). The postoperative follow-up results revealed that positive VEGF and levels of serum VEGF, CA15-3, CA125 and CEA in recurrence group were obviously higher than in non-recurrence group (p<0.01). Conclusions: Joint detection of ER and PR expression as well as levels of serum VEGF, CA15-3, CA125 and CEA is meaningful and can guide the diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer.
Estrogen receptor;progestrone receptor;vascular endothelial growth factor;tumor markers;breast cancer
Supported by : Science Foundation of Jie-Ping Wu
- Aktas B, Kasimir-Bauer S, Lehmann N, et al (2013). Validity of bone marker measurements for monitoring response to bisphosphonate therapy with zoledronic acid in metastatic breast cancer. Oncol Rep, 30, 441-7.
- Bhattacharjee KG, Bhattacharyya M, Halder UC, et al (2012). The "Cross Talk" between the receptors of insulin, estrogen and progesterone in neutrophils in the synthesis of maspin through nitric oxide in breast cancer. Int J Biomed Sci, 8, 129-39.
- Bolayirli M, Papila C, Korkmaz GG, et al (2013). Serum thymidine kinase 1 activity in solid tumor (breast and colorectal cancer) patients treated with adjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Lab Anal, 27, 220-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.21587
- Dede DS, Gumuskaya B, Guler G, et al (2013). Evaluation of changes of biologic markers ER, PR, HER 2 and Ki-67 in breast cancer with administration of neoadjuvant dose-dense doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel. J BUON, 18, 57-63.
- Deng QQ, Huang XE, Ye LH, et al (2013).Phase II trial of Loubo® (Lobaplatin) and pemetrexed for patients with metastatic breast cancer not responding to anthracycline or taxanes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 413-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.413
- Gao LL, Huang XE, Zhang Q, et al (2011). 14.A Cisplatin and vinorelbine (NP) regimen as a postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected breast cancers in China: final results of a phase II clinical trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 77-80.
- Godfrey AC, Xu Z, Weinberg CR, et al (2013). Serum microRNA expression as an early marker for breast cancer risk in prospectively collected samples from the Sister Study cohort. Breast Cancer Res, 15, R42. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr3428
- Huang XE, Li CG, Li Y, et al (2011). Weekly TP regimen as a postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected breast cancer in China: final result of a phase II trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2797-2800.
- Jiang Y, Huang XE, Yan PW, et al (2010). Validation of treatment efficacy of a computer-assisted program for breast cancer patients receiving postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1059-62.
- Joensuu K, Leidenius M, Kero M, et al (2013). ER, PR, HER2, Ki-67 and CK5 in early and late relapsing breast cancerreduced CK5 expression in metastases. Breast Cancer (Auckl), 7, 23-34.
- Lawicki S, Bedkowska GE, Szmitkowski M (2013). VEGF, M-CSF and CA 15-3 as a new tumor marker panel in breast malignancies: a multivariate analysis with ROC curve. Growth Factors, 31, 98-105. https://doi.org/10.3109/08977194.2013.797900
- Lee M, Lee CS, Tan PH (2013). Hormone receptor expression in breast cancer: postanalytical issues. J Clin Pathol, 66, 478-84. https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2012-201148
- Luo T, Chen L, He P, et al (2013). Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) gene polymorphisms and breast cancer risk in a chinese population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2433-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2433
- Omran OM (2012). The prognostic value of breast cancer resistance protein (BCRB/ABCG2) expression in breast carcinomas. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol, 31, 367-76. https://doi.org/10.1615/JEnvironPatholToxicolOncol.2013006767
- Patel T, Gupta A, Shah M (2013). Pathological predictive factors for tumor response in locally advanced breast carcinomas treated with anthracyclin-based neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Cancer Res Ther, 9, 245-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.113366
- Petekkaya I, Sahin U, Gezgen G, et al (2013). Association of breast cancer subtypes and body mass index. Tumori, 99, 129-33.
- Prakhya S, Prakash G (2012). Analysis of BRCA1 gene rearrangements in breast carcinomas by RT-PCR and ER, PR, HER2NEU status by IHC and HPE correlation. J Clin Diagn Res, 6, 1663-8.
- Rosato V, Bertuccio P, Bosetti C, et al (2013). Nutritional factors, physical activity, and breast cancer by hormonal receptor status. Breast, [Epub ahead of print].
- Sandoval C, Rahal R, Forte T, et al (2013). Indicator measures er/pr and her2 testing among women with invasive breast cancer. Curr Oncol, 20, 62-3.
- Sun MQ, Meng AF, Huang XE, et al (2013). Comparison of psychological influence on breast cancer patients between breast-conserving surgery and modified radical mastectomy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 149-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.149
- Tarhan MO, Gonel A, Kucukzeybek Y, et al (2013). Prognostic significance of circulating tumor cells and serum CA15-3 levels in metastatic breast cancer, single center experience, preliminary results. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1725-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1725
- Thielemann A, Baszczuk A, Kopczynski Z, et al (2013). Clinical usefulness of assessing VEGF and soluble receptors sVEGFR-1 and sVEGFR-2 in women with breast cancer. Ann Agric Environ Med, 20, 293-7.
- Vermeulen JF, van der Wall E, Witkamp AJ, et al (2013). Analysis of expression of membrane-bound tumor markers in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: paving the way for molecular imaging. Cell Oncol (Dordr), [Epub ahead of print].
- Wang J, He Q, Shao YG, et al (2013). Chemokines fluctuate in the progression of primary breast cancer. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 17, 596-608.
Wang KH, Kao AP, Lin TC, et al (2012). Promotion of epithelialmesenchymal transition and tumor growth by
$17\beta$-estradiol in an ER(+)/HER2(+) cell line derived from human breast epithelial stem cells. Biotechnol Appl Biochem, 59, 262-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/bab.1022
- Yan PW, Huang XE, Jiang Y, et al (2010). A clinical comparison on safety and efficacy of Paclitaxel/Epirubicin (NE) with Fluorouracil/Epirubicin/Cyclophosphamide (FEC) as postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1115-8.
- Zubeda S, Kaipa PR, Shaik NA, et al (2013). Her-2/neu status: a neglected marker of prognostication and management of breast cancer patients in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2231-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2231
- Serum Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor-A (VEGF-A) as a Biomarker in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck Patients Undergoing Chemoradiotherapy vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3261
- MDA-MB-231 Human Breast Cancer Cells by RhoGDI-α Silencing and Overexpression vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3311
- Communication and monitor of breast cancer signal in the pulse-output genetic circuit network vol.57, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11432-014-5061-4
- Circulating glioma biomarkers pp.1523-5866, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/nou207
- Identifying the Association of Contrast Enhancement with Vascular Endothelia Growth Factor Expression in Anaplastic Gliomas: A Volumetric Magnetic Resonance Imaging Analysis vol.10, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0121380
- Serum Tumor Marker Levels might have Little Significance in Evaluating Neoadjuvant Treatment Response in Locally Advanced Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4603
- Immunohistochemical Profile of Breast Cancer Patients at a Tertiary Care Hospital in New Delhi, India vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4959
- Effects of Fresh Yellow Onion Consumption on CEA, CA125 and Hepatic Enzymes in Breast Cancer Patients: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7517
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications of the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Family in Cancer vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1677
- Usefulness of Salivary and Serum Auto-antibodies Against Tumor Biomarkers HER2 and MUC1 in Breast Cancer Screening vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.335
- Radiologic Features and Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Stratify Survival Outcomes in Patients with Glioblastoma vol.37, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A4567
- A printed SWCNT electrode modified with polycatechol and lysozyme for capacitive detection of α-lactalbumin vol.184, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-017-2481-z
- Plasma levels and diagnostic utility of VEGF, MMP-2 and TIMP-2 in the diagnostics of breast cancer patients vol.22, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/1354750X.2016.1252955
- Evaluation of a newly developed quantitative determination kit for tumor marker CA15-3 with chemiluminescent assay pp.08878013, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.22158
- Nipple Discharge of CA15-3, CA125, CEA and TSGF as a New Biomarker Panel for Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15069546
- Clinical significance of serum CA15-3 as a prognostic parameter during follow-up periods in patients with breast cancer vol.90, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4174/astr.2016.90.2.57
- Independent prognostic impact of preoperative serum carcinoembryonic antigen and cancer antigen 15-3 levels for early breast cancer subtypes vol.16, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-018-1325-6
- Anti-breast Cancer Activity of SPG-56 from Sweet Potato in MCF-7 Bearing Mice in Situ through Promoting Apoptosis and Inhibiting Metastasis vol.9, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-29099-x