- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Expression and Significance of TSGF, CEA and AFP in Patients Before and after Radical Surgery for Colon Cancer
- Hu, Yi (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Wang, Jing-Liang (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Tao, Hai-Tao (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Wu, Bai-Shou (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Sun, Jin (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Cheng, Yao (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Dong, Wei-Wei (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital) ;
- Li, Rui-Xin (Department of Oncology, Chinese PLA General Hospital)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Objective: To explore the expression and significance of tumor specific growth factor (TSGF), carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) and alpha fetoprotein (AFP) in cancer tissue and serum of patients with colon cancer. Materials and Methods: Radical surgery for colon cancer was performed on 43 patients with laparoscopu under conditions of general anesthesia. The Elisa method was used to detect the levels of serum TSGF, CEA and AFP before and after radical operation, and cancer tissue underwent TSGF, CEA and AFP immunohistochemistry staining after laparoscopic surgery. The decreased conditions of serum TSGF, CEA and AFP in patients with colon cancer at different levels of differentiation and clinical stagings were analyzed, and the relationships of expression rates between histological types, colon cancer morphology, lymph node metastasis and TSGF, CEA as well as AFP in cancer tissue were assessed. Results: Compared with before radical surgery, the levels of serum TSGF, CEA and AFP decreased notably in patients after operations (p<0.01). The decreased degree of TSGF and CEA was the largest in patients with poorly differentiated cancer tissue (p<0.01), while that of AFP was noted in patients with moderately differentiated cancer tissue (p<0.01). The decreased degree of TSGF and AFP was the largest in patients at phase Dukes A (p<0.01), while that of CEA in patients at phase Dukes C (p<0.01). There were no significant differences among the positive expression rates of TSGF, CEA and AFP with different histological types and colon cancer morphologies (p>0.05). The positive expression rates of TSGF and CEA in patients with lymph node metastasis were significantly higher than those without lymph node metastasis (p<0.01). Conclusions: TSGF, CEA and AFP can be used to evaluate the effect of radical operation for colon cancer, and the changed levels of different markers are associated with tumor differentiation, clinical stating and presence or absence of lymph node metastasis.
Supported by : Foundation of Roche Gastrointestinal College
- Benhaim L, Loupakis F, Labonte MJ, et al (2012). Selecting the best targeted agent in first-line treatment of unresectable liver metastases from colorectal cancer: does the bench have the answers? J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci, 19, 528-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00534-012-0526-6
- Church D, Midgley R, Kerr D (2012). Biomarkers in early-stage colorectal cancer: ready for prime time? Dig Dis, 30, 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1159/000341890
- Clark MJ, Robien K, Slavin JL (2012). Effect of prebiotics on biomarkers of colorectal cancer in humans: a systematic review. Nutr Rev, 70, 436-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00495.x
- de Cuba EM, Kwakman R, van Egmond M, et al (2012). Understanding molecular mechanisms in peritoneal dissemination of colorectal cancer: future possibilities for personalised treatment by use of biomarkers. Virchows Arch, 461, 231-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-012-1287-y
- Duffy MJ, van Dalen A, Haglund C, et al (2007). Tumour markers in colorectal cancer: European Group on Tumour Markers (EGTM) guidelines for clinical use. Eur J Cancer, 43, 1348-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2007.03.021
- Duffy MJ (2013). Tumor markers in clinical practice: a review focusing on common solid cancers. Med Princ Pract, 22, 4-11. https://doi.org/10.1159/000338393
- Efferth T (2012). Signal transduction pathways of the epidermal growth factor receptor in colorectal cancer and their inhibition by small molecules. Curr Med Chem, 19, 5735-44. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986712803988884
- Fiorentino F, Hunt I, Teoh K, et al (2010). Pulmonary metastasectomy in colorectal cancer: a systematic review and quantitative synthesis. J R Soc Med, 103, 60-6. https://doi.org/10.1258/jrsm.2009.090299
- Herrere MA, Chu TM, Pinsky CM, et al (1979). Preoperative carcionembryonic antigen level as prognostic indicator in colorectal cancer. N Engl J Med, 299, 448-51.
- Koukourakis GV, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A (2011). Targeted therapy with bevacizumab (Avastin) for metastatic colorectal cancer. Clin Transl Oncol, 13, 710-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-011-0720-z
- Lawicki S, Mroczko B, Szmitkowski M (2002). Neoplasm markers useful for diagnosis and monitoring of colonic neoplasms. Postepy Hig Med Dosw, 56, 617-34.
- Akagi Y, Adachi Y, Kinugasa T, et al (2013). Lymph node evaluation and survival in colorectal cancer: review of population-based, prospective studies. Anticancer Res, 33, 2839-47.
- Amayo AA, Kuria JG (2009). Clinical application of tumour markers: a review. East Afr Med J, 86, S76-83.
- Lupinacci R, Penna C, Nordlinger B (2007). Hepatectomy for resectable colorectal cancer metastases-indicators of prognosis, definition of resectability, techniques and outcomes. Surg Oncol Clin N Am, 16, 493-506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soc.2007.04.014
- Molinari C, Casadio V, Foca F, et al (2013). Gene methylation in rectal cancer: Predictive marker of response to chemoradiotherapy? J Cell Physiol, [Epub ahead of print].
- Pritchard CC, Grady WM (2011). Colorectal cancer molecular biology moves into clinical practice. Gut, 60, 116-29. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2009.206250
- Sasahira T, Ueda N, Kurihara M, et al (2013). Tropomyosin receptor kinases B and C are tumor progressive and metastatic marker in colorectal carcinoma. Hum Pathol, 44, 1098-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2012.09.016
- Spelt L, Andersson B, Nilsson J, et al (2012). Prognostic models for outcome following liver resection for colorectal cancer metastases: A systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol, 38, 16-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2011.10.013
- Soreide K, Nedrebø BS, Knapp JC, et al (2009). Evolving molecular classification by genomic and proteomic biomarkers in colorectal cancer: potential implications for the surgical oncologist. Surg Oncol, 18, 31-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suronc.2008.06.006
- Stillwell AP, Ho YH, Veitch C (2011). Systematic review of prognostic factors related to overall survival in patients with stage IV colorectal cancer and unresectable metastases. World J Surg, 35, 684-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-010-0891-8
- Turriziani M, Fantini M, Benvenuto M, et al (2012). Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)-based cancer vaccines: recent patents and antitumor effects from experimental models to clinical trials. Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov, 7, 265-96. https://doi.org/10.2174/157489212801820020
- Wu XY, Huang XE, You SX, et al (2013). Phase II study of pemetrexed as second or third line combined chemotherapy in patients with colorectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2019-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2019
- Xu HX, Huang XE, Qian ZY, et al (2011). Clinical observation of Endostar(R) combined with chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3087-90.
- Yamashita K, Watanabe M (2009). Clinical significance of tumor markers and an emerging perspective on colorectal cancer. Cancer Sci, 100, 195-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2008.01022.x
- Yu B, Xu PZ, Wang QW, et al (2009). Clinical value of tumour specific growth factor (TSGF) and carbohydrate antigen-125 (CA-125) in carcinoma of the endometrium. J Int Med Res, 37, 878-83. https://doi.org/10.1177/147323000903700333
- Yu DS, Huang XE, Zhou JN, et al (2012). A Comparative Study on the Value of Anal Preserving Surgery for Aged People with Low Rectal Carcinoma in Jiangsu, China. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 2339-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2339
- Zhang LQ, Huang XE, Wang J, (2011). The cyclin D1 G870A polymorphism and colorectal cancer susceptibility: a metaanalysis of 20 populations. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 81-5.
Zhou G, Niu L, Chiu D, et al (2012). Changes in the expression of serum markers CA242, CA199, CA125, CEA, TNF-
$\alpha$and TSGF after cryosurgery in pancreatic cancer patients. Biotechnol Lett, 34, 1235-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-012-0908-5
- Zorcolo L (2006). Biomolecular prognostic factors in colorectal cancer. Chir Ital, 58, 733-42.
- Down-regulated MYH11 Expression Correlates with Poor Prognosis in Stage II and III Colorectal Cancer vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7223
- Association of Paraoxonase-1(Q192R and L55M) Gene Polymorphisms and Activity with Colorectal Cancer and Effect of Surgical Intervention vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.803
- Intestinal differentiated mucinous adenocarcinoma of the endometrium with sporadic MSI high status: a case report vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13000-017-0629-0
- Biomarkers in Urachal Cancer and Adenocarcinomas in the Bladder: A Comprehensive Review Supplemented by Own Data vol.2018, pp.1875-8630, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7308168
- Circulating tumor DNA detectable in early- and late-stage colorectal cancer patients vol.38, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1042/BSR20180322