- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Risk Effects of GST Gene Polymorphisms in Patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Prospective Study
- Zhou, Lei (Department of Hematology, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated of China Medical University) ;
- Zhu, Yan-Yun (Department of Internal Medical Oncology, General Hospital of PLA) ;
- Zhang, Xiao-Dong (Department of Hematology, No.202 Hospital of PLA) ;
- Li, Yang (Department of Hematology, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated of China Medical University) ;
- Liu, Zhuo-Gang (Department of Hematology, Shengjing Hospital Affiliated of China Medical University)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Glutathione S-transferase (GST) enzyme levels are associated with risk of many cancers, including hematologic tumours. We here aimed to investigate the relationships between GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1 polymorphisms and the risk of AML. Genotyping of GSTs was based upon duplex polymerase-chain-reactions with the confronting-two-pair primer (PCR-CTPP) method in 163 cases and 204 controls. Individuals carrying null GSTT1 genotype had a 1.64 fold risk of acute leukemia relative to a non-null genotype (P<0.05). A heavy risk was observed in those carrying combination of null genotypes of GSTM1 and GSTT1 and GSTP1 Val allele genotypes when compared with those carrying wild genotypes, with an OR (95% CI) of 3.39 (1.26-9.26) (P<0.05). These findings indicate that genetic variants of GST and especially the GSTT1 gene have a critical function in the development of AML. Our study offers important insights into the molecular etiology of AML.
Glutathione S-transferase;polymorphism;acute myeloid leukemia;risk
- Arruda VR, Lima CS, Grignoli CR, et al (2001). Increased risk for acute myeloid leukaemia in individuals with glutathione S-transferase mu 1 (GSTM1) and theta 1 (GSTT1) gene defects. Eur J Haematol, 66, 383-8. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0609.2001.066006383.x
- Benhamou S, Lee WJ, Alexandrie AK (2002). Meta- and pooled analyses of the effects of glutathione S-transferase M1 polymorphisms and smoking on lung cancer risk. Carcinogenesis, 23, 1343-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.8.1343
- Crump C, Chen C, Appelbaum FR, et al (2000). Glutathione S-transferase theta 1 gene deletion and risk of acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 9, 457-60.
- Das P, Shaik AP, Bammidi VK (2009). Meta-analysis study of glutathione-S-transferases (GSTM1, GSTP1, and GSTT1) gene polymorphisms and risk of acute myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma, 50, 1345-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/10428190903003236
- D'Alo F, Voso MT, Guidi F, et al (2004). Polymorphisms of CYP1A1 and glutathione S-transferase and susceptibility to adult acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica, 89, 664-70.
- Engel LS, Taioli E, Pfeiffer R, et al (2003). Pooled analysis and meta-analysis of glutathione S-transferase M1 and bladder cancer: a HuGE review. Am J Epidemiol, 156, 95-109.
- Evans DI, Steward JK (1972). Down's syndrome and leukaemia. Lancet, 2, 1322.
- Gunz FW, Veale AM (1969). Leukemia in close relativesaccident or predisposition? J Natl Cancer Inst, 42, 517-524.
- Hashibe M, Brennan P, Strange RC, et al (2003). Meta- and pooled analyses of GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1, and CYP1A1 genotypes and risk of head and neck cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev, 12, 1509-17.
- Jiang L, Zhou P, Sun A, et al (2011). Functional variant (21304T.G) in the MKK4 promoter is associated with decreased risk of acute myeloid leukemia in a southern Chinese population. Cancer Sci, 102, 1462-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.01965.x
- Jing C, Huang ZJ, Duan YQ, et al (2012). Glulathione-Stransferases gene polymorphism in prediction of gastric cancer risk by smoking and Helicobacter pylori infection status. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3325-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3325
- Kim HN, Kim NY, Yu L, et al (2012). Association of GSTT1 polymorphism with acute myeloid leukemia risk is dependent on smoking status. Leuk Lymphoma, 53, 681-7. https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2011.625576
- Le Beau MM, Albain KS, Larson RA, et al (1986). Clinical and cytogenetic correlations in 63 patients with therapy-related myelodysplastic syndromes and acute nonlymphocytic leukemia: further evidence for characteristic abnormalities of chromosomes no. 5 and 7. J Clin Oncol, 4, 325-45.
- Liu QX, Chen HC, Liu XF, et al (2005). Study on the relationship between polymorphisms of Cyp1A1, GSTM1, GSTT1 genes and the susceptibility to acute leukemia in the general population of Hunan province. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 26, 975-9.
- Mandegary A, Rostami S, Alimoghaddam K, et al (2011). Gluthatione-S-transferase T1-null genotype predisposes adults to acute promyelocytic leukemia; a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1279-82.
- Ma W, Zhuang L, Han B, et al (2013). Association between glutathione S-transferase T1 null genotype and gastric cancer risk: a meta-analysis of 48 studies. PLoS One, 8, e60833. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0060833
- Naoe T, Takeyama K, Yokozawa T, et al (2000). Analysis of genetic polymorphism in NQO1, GST-M1, GST-T1, and CYP3A4 in 469 Japanese patients with therapy-related leukemia/ myelodysplastic syndrome and de novo acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Cancer Res, 6, 4091-5.
- Rebbeck TR (1997). Molecular epidemiology of the human glutathione S-transferase genotypes GSTM1 and GSTT1 in cancer susceptibility. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 6, 733-43.
- Rollinson S, Roddam P, Kane E, et al (2000). Polymorphic variation within the glutathione S-transferase genes and risk of adult acute leukaemia. Carcinogenesis, 21, 43-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/21.1.43
- Ryberg D, Skaug V, Hewer A, et al (1997). Genotypes of glutathione transferase M1 and P1 and their significance for lung DNA adduct levels and cancer risk. Carcinogenesis, 18, 1285-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/18.7.1285
- Schneider S, Uchida K, Brabender J, et al (2005). Downregulation of TS, DPD, ERCC1, GST-Pi, EGFR, and HER2 gene expression after neoadjuvant three-modality treatment in patients with esophageal cancer. J Am Coll Surg, 200, 336-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2004.10.035
- Seedhouse C, Faulkner R, Ashraf N, et al (2004). Polymorphisms in genes involved in homologous recombination repair interact to increase the risk of developing acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Cancer Res, 10, 2675-80. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-03-0372
- Song K, Yi J, Shen X, et al (2012). Genetic polymorphisms of glutathione S-transferase genes GSTM1, GSTT1 and risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One, 7, e48924. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048924
- Taspinar M, Aydos SE, Comez O, et al (2008). CYP1A1, GST gene polymorphisms and risk of chronic myeloid leukemia. Swiss Med Wkly, 138, 12-7.
- Thirman MJ, Gill HJ, Burnett RC, et al. (1993). Rearrangement of the MLL gene in acute lymphoblastic and acute myeloid leukemias with 11q23 chromosomal translocations. N Engl J Med, 329, 909-14. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199309233291302
- Vardiman JW, Harris NL, Brunning RD (2002). The World Health Organization (WHO) classification of the myeloid neoplasms. Blood, 100, 2292-302. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2002-04-1199
- Yang X, Qiu MT, Hu JW, et al (2013a). GSTT1 Null Genotype Contributes to Lung Cancer Risk in Asian Populations: A Meta-Analysis of 23 Studies. PLoS One, 8, e62181. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0062181
- Yang Q, Du J, Yao X (2013b). Significant association of Glutathione S-transferase T1 null genotype with prostate cancer risk: a meta-analysis of 26,393 subjects. PLoS One, 8, e53700. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0053700
- Zhao Y, Luo Y, Huang B, et al (2013). GSTT1 null genotype contributes to increased risk of gastric cancer in Chinese population: evidence from a meta-analysis. Tumour Biol, 34, 1691-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-013-0706-2
- Glutathione-S-Transferase Polymorphisms (GSTM1, GSTT1 and GSTP1) and Acute Leukemia Risk in Asians: a Meta-analysis vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2075
- Genetic Polymorphisms in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: A Case-Control Study vol.2014, pp.1942-0994, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/875861
- Demographic and Clinical Characteristics of Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia - Tertiary Care Experience vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.357
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Clinical Spectrum of 125 Patients vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.369
- GSTM1 and GSTP1 Genetic Polymorphisms and Their Associations With Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Susceptibility in a Jordanian Population vol.38, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/MPH.0000000000000609
- Distribution of polymorphic variants of the GSTP1 gene involved in biotransformation of xenobiotics in Tundra Nenets and Nganasans in comparison to Russians vol.42, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1134/S036211971602016X
- metabolic genes: A case-control study in oncohematological diseases vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5306/wjco.v7.i5.395
- Catalase C-262T Polymorphism Is a Risk Factor for Valproic Acid–Induced Abnormal Liver Function in Chinese Patients With Epilepsy vol.41, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1097/FTD.0000000000000574