- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
S100A14 Promotes the Growth and Metastasis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Zhao, Fu-Tao (Department of Infectious Diseases, Wuhan General Hospital, Guangzhou Military Area Command) ;
- Jia, Zhan-Sheng (The State Key Discipline and Center for Infectious Diseases, Tangdu Hospital Affiliated to the Fourth Military Medical University) ;
- Yang, Qun (Department of Infectious Diseases, Wuhan General Hospital, Guangzhou Military Area Command) ;
- Song, Le (Department of Infectious Diseases, Wuhan General Hospital, Guangzhou Military Area Command) ;
- Jiang, Xiao-Jing (Department of Infectious Diseases, Wuhan General Hospital, Guangzhou Military Area Command)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Background: S100A14 has recently been implicated in the progress of several types of cancers. This study aimed to investigate the clinical significance and possible mechanisms of action of S100A14 in the invasion and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Methods: S100A14 expression in HCC was detected at mRNA and protein levels and its prognostic significance was assessed. Functional roles of S100A14 in HCC were investigated using MTT, BrdU, wound healing, transwell invasion assay and HCC metastatic mouse model. Results: S100A14 was significantly elevated in HCC tissues, correlated with multiple tumor nodes, high Edmondson-Steiner grade and vascular invasion. Multivariate Cox analysis showed that the S100A14 expression level was a significant and independent prognostic factor for overall survival (OS) of HCC patients (hazard ratio=1.98, 95% confidence interval=1.14-3.46, P=0.013). S100A14 promoted cell proliferation, invasion and metastasis of HCC in vitro and in vivo. Conclusion: These results suggest S100A14 is a novel prognostic marker and therapeutic target for HCC.
- Boye K, Maelandsmo GM (2010). S100A4 and metastasis: a small actor playing many roles. Am J Pathol, 176, 528-35. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2010.090526
- Bulk E, Sargin B, Krug U, et al (2009). S100A2 induces metastasis in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 22-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-0953
- Chen H, Yu D, Luo A, et al (2009). Functional role of S100A14 genetic variants and their association with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res, 69, 3451-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-4231
- Chen H, Yuan Y, Zhang C, et al (2012). Involvement of S100A14 protein in cell invasion by affecting expression and function of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 via p53-dependent transcriptional regulation. J Biol Chem, 287, 109-19.
- El-Serag HB (2012). Epidemiology of viral hepatitis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology, 142, 1264-73. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2011.12.061
- Gao J, Xie L, Yang WS, et al (2012). Risk factors of hepatocellular carcinoma--current status and perspectives. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 743-52. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.743
- Hiratsuka S, Watanabe A, Aburatani H, Maru Y (2006). Tumor mediated up-regulation of chemoattractants and recruitment of myeloid cells predetermines lung metastasis. Nat Cell Biol, 8, 1369-75. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncb1507
- Jin Q, Chen H, Luo A, Ding F, Liu Z (2011). S100A14 stimulates cell proliferation and induces cell apoptosis at different concentrations via receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE). PLoS One, 6, e19375. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0019375
- Li P, Lin Y, Zhang Y, Zhu Z, Huo K (2013). SSX2IP promotes metastasis and chemotherapeutic resistance of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Transl Med, 11, 52. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5876-11-52
- Li W, Tan D, Zhang Z, Liang JJ, Brown RE (2008). Activation of Akt-mTOR- p70S6K pathway in angiogenesis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncol Rep, 20, 713-9.
- Lukanidin E, Sleeman JP (2012). Building the niche: the role of the S100 proteins in metastatic growth. Semin Cancer Biol, 22, 216-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2012.02.006
- McClune AC, Tong MJ (2010). Chronic hepatitis B and hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Liver Dis, 14, 461-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cld.2010.05.009
- Nordenstedt H, White DL, El-Serag HB (2010). The changing pattern of epidemiology in hepatocellular carcinoma. Dig Liver Dis, 42, S206-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1590-8658(10)60507-5
- Sapkota D, Costea DE, Blø M, et al (2012). S100A14 inhibits proliferation of oral carcinoma derived cells through G1-arrest. Oral Oncol, 48, 219-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.10.001
- Tao YM, Huang JL, Zeng S, et al (2013). BTB/POZ domaincontaining protein 7: Epithelial-mesenchymal transition promoter and prognostic biomarker of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 57, 2326-37. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.26268
- Wang HY, Zhang JY, Cui JT, et al (2010). Expression status of S100A14 and S100A4 correlates with metastatic potential and clinical outcome in colorectal cancer after surgery. Oncol Rep, 23, 45-52.
- Xue TC, Chen RX, Han D, et al (2012). Down-regulation of CXCR7 inhibits the growth and lung metastasis of human hepatocellular carcinoma cells with highly metastatic potential. Exp Ther Med, 3, 117-23.
- Yang Y, Nagano H, Ota H, et al (2007). Patterns and clinicopathologic features of extrahepatic recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection. Surgery, 141, 196-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2006.06.033
- Zhou L, Liu J, Luo F (2006). Serum tumor markers for detection of hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 1175-81.
- Comparison of the Effects of Transarterial Chemoembolization for Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma between Patients with and without Extrahepatic Metastases vol.9, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0113926
- Curcumin Inhibits the Proliferation and Invasiveness of MHCC97-H Cells via p38 Signaling Pathway pp.02724391, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/ddr.21210
- Downregulation of 425G>A variant of calcium-binding protein S100A14 associated with poor differentiation and prognosis in gastric cancer vol.141, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-014-1830-0
- S100 proteins in cancer vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc3893
- S100A12 and RAGE Expression in Human Bladder Transitional Cell Carcinoma: a Role for the Ligand/RAGE Axis in Tumor Progression? vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2725
- Calcium-binding protein S100A14 induces differentiation and suppresses metastasis in gastric cancer vol.8, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/cddis.2017.297
- S100A16 is a prognostic marker for colorectal cancer pp.00224790, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.24822
- Overexpression of S100A14 contributes to malignant progression and predicts poor prognosis of lung adenocarcinoma vol.9, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1759-7714.12654
- S100A14 Is Increased in Activated NK Cells and Plasma of HIV-Exposed Seronegative People Who Inject Drugs and Promotes Monocyte–NK Crosstalk vol.80, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1097/QAI.0000000000001911