- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Serum Talin-1 is a Potential Novel Biomarker for Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Egyptian Patients
- Youns, Mahmoud M. (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Helwan University) ;
- Abdel Wahab, Abdel Hady A. (Department of Cancer Biology, National Cancer institute, Cairo University) ;
- Hassan, Zeinab A. (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Helwan University) ;
- Attia, Mohamed S. (Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Helwan University)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Background: Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is a major cause of cancer mortality worldwide. The outcome of HCC depends mainly on its early diagnosis. To date, the performance of traditional biomarkers is unsatisfactory. Talins were firstly identified as cytoplasmic protein partners of integrins but Talin-1 appears to play a crucial role in cancer formation and progression. Our study was conducted to assess the diagnostic value of serum Talin-1 (TLN1) compared to the most feasible traditional biomarker alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) for the diagnosis of HCC. Methods: TLN1 was detected using enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) in serum samples from 120 Egyptian subjects including 40 with HCC, 40 with liver cirrhosis (LC) and 40 healthy controls (HC). Results: ROC curve analysis was used to create a predictive model for TLN1 relative to AFP in HCC diagnosis. Serum levels of TLN1 in hepatocellular carcinoma patients were significantly higher compared to the other groups (p<0.0001). The diagnostic accuracy of TLN1 was higher than that of AFP regarding sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value and negative predictive value in diagnosis of HCC. Conclusions: The present study showed for the first time that Talin-1 (TLN1) is a potential diagnostic marker for HCC, with a higher sensitivity and specificity compared to the traditional biomarker AFP.
Hepatocellular carcinoma;Talin-1;alpha-fetoprotein;liver cirrhosis;marker
- Abdel-Aziz F, Habib M, Mohamed MK, et al (2000). Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in a community in the Nile Delta: population description and HCV prevalence. Hepatology, 32, 111-5. https://doi.org/10.1053/jhep.2000.8438
- Altekruse S, McGlynn K Reichman M (2009). Hepatocellular carcinoma incidence, mortality, and survival trends in the United States from 1975 to 2005. J Clin Oncol, 27,1485-91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.20.7753
- Attallah AM, El-Far M, Abdel Malak C, et al (2011). Evaluation of cytokeratin-1 in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Clinica Chimica Acta, 412, 2310-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2011.08.029
- Bessa S, Elwan N, Suliman G, El-Shourbagy S (2010). Clinical significance of plasma osteopontin level in Egyptian patients with hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma. Arch Med Res, 41, 541-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2010.10.007
- Bruix J and Sherman M (2005). Management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 42, 1208-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20933
- Critchley DR, Talin In Kreis T, Vale R (1999). Guidebook to the extracellular matrix, anchor, and adhesion proteins. Oxford University Press, pp. 82-85, Oxford.
- El-Serag HB (2004). Hepatocellular carcinoma: recent trends in the United States. Gastroenterology, 127, 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2004.09.013
- El-Serag HB, Rudolph KL (2007). Hepatocellular carcinoma: epidemiology and molecular carcinogenesis. Gastroenterology, 132, 2557-76. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2007.04.061
- El-Zayadi AR, Badran HM, Barakat EM, et al (2005). Hepatocellular carcinoma in Egypt: a single center study over a decade. World J Gastroenterol, 11, 5193-8.
- Ferlay J, Bray F, Pisani P (2004). GLOBOCAN 2002: Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide. IARC Press; Lyon: 2004. IARC CancerBase No. 5. version 2.0.
- Freedman L, Edwards B, Ries L (2006). Cancer incidence in four member countries (Cyprus, Egypt, Israel, and Jordan) of the middle east cancer consortium (MECC) compared with US SEER. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD: NIH Pub. No. 06-5873.
- Hassan MM, Zaghloul AS, El-Serag HB (2001). The role of hepatitis C in hepatocellular carcinoma: a case control study among Egyptian patients. J Clin Gastroenterol, 33, 123-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004836-200108000-00006
- Horwitz A, Duggan K, Buck C, et al (1986). Interaction of plasma-membrane ﬁbronectin receptor with talin - a transmembrane linkage. Nature, 320, 531-3. https://doi.org/10.1038/320531a0
- Kanamori H, Kawakami T, Effendi K, et al (2011). Identification by differential tissue proteome analysis of Talin-1 as a novel molecular marker of progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncology, 80, 406-15. https://doi.org/10.1159/000330734
- Khattab MA, Eslam M, Sharwae MA (2010). Seroprevalence of hepatitis C and B among blood donors in Egypt: Minya Governorate, 2000-2008. Am J Infect Control, 38, 640-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2009.12.016
- Liotta LA, Kohn E (2004). Anoikis: cancer and the homeless cell. Nature, 430, 973-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/430973a
- Makuuchi M, Kokudo N, Arii S, et al (2008). Development of evidence-based clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma in Japan. Hepatol Res, 38, 37-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1872-034X.2007.00216.x
- Mendy M, Walton R (2009). Molecular pathogenesis and early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma-perspectives from West Africa. Cancer Lett, 286, 44-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2009.04.039
- Mizejewski GJ (1999). Role of integrins in cancer: survey of expression patterns. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 222, 124-38. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1373.1999.d01-122.x
- Parkin D, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2001). Estimating the world cancer burden: Globocan 2000. Int J Cancer, 94, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1440
- Parkin D, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Sakamoto S, McCann RO, Dhir R, Kyprianou N (2010). Talin1 promotes tumor invasion and metastasis via focal adhesion signaling and anoikis resistance. Cancer Res, 70, 1885-95. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-2833
- Senetar M, Moncman C, McCann R (2007). Talin2 is induced during striated muscle differentiation and istargeted to stable adhesion complexes in mature muscle. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton, 64, 157-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cm.20173
- Senetar MA, McCann RO (2005). Gene duplication and functional divergence during evolution of the cytoskeletal linker protein talin. Gene, 362, 141-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2005.08.012
- Slater M, Cooper M, Murphy CR (2007). The cytoskeletal proteins alpha-actinin, Ezrin, and talin are De-expressed in endometriosis and endometrioid carcinoma compared with normal uterine epithelium. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol, 15, 170-4. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pai.0000194762.78889.26
- Tadokoro S, Shattil SJ, Eto K, et al (2003). Talin binding to integrin beta tails:a final common step in integrin activation. Science, 302, 103-6. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1086652
- Teofanescu I, Gologan E, Stefanescu E, Balan G (2010). Surveillance of cirrhosis for hepatocellular carcinoma--clinical validation of new serological biomarkers for improved diagnosis. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi, 114, 39-46.
- Thomas M, Zhu A (2005). Hepatocellular carcinoma: the need for progress. J Clin Oncol, 23, 2892-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.03.196
- Tsujioka M, Yoshida K, Inouye K (2004). Talin B is required for force transmission in morphogenesis of dictyostelium. EMBO J, 23, 2216-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.emboj.7600238
- Zhang JL, Qian YB, Zhu LX, Xiong QR (2011). Talin1, a valuable marker for diagnosis and prognostic assessment of human hepatocelluar carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3265-9.
- Zhang X, Jiang G, Cai Y, et al (2008). Talin depletion reveals independence of initial cell spreading from integrin activation and traction. Nat Cell Biol, 10, 1062-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncb1765
- Talin-1 Correlates with Reduced Invasion and Migration in Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2655
- Hepatoprotective Effects of Curcumin Against Diethyl Nitrosamine Induced Hepatotoxicity in Albino Rats vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.103
- Plasma Nuclear Factor Kappa B and Serum Peroxiredoxin 3 in Early Diagnosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1657
- Both Talin-1 and Talin-2 correlate with malignancy potential of the human hepatocellular carcinoma MHCC-97 L cell vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-016-2076-9
- Accuracy of novel diagnostic biomarkers for hepatocellular carcinoma: An update for clinicians (Review) vol.36, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.4842
- TRPV4 plays a role in breast cancer cell migration via Ca2+-dependent activation of AKT and downregulation of E-cadherin cell cortex protein vol.6, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/oncsis.2017.39
- Effect of talin1 on apoptosis in hepatoma carcinoma cells via the PI3K/Akt/NF-κB signaling pathway vol.7, pp.64, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7RA05792J
- Serological tumor markers of hepatocellular carcinoma: a meta-analysis vol.30, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5301/jbm.5000119