- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Age Distribution of Breast Cancer from a Thailand Population-Based Cancer Registry
- Kotepui, Manas (Medical Technology Program, School of Allied Health Sciences and Public Health, Walailak University) ;
- Chupeerach, Chaowanee (Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Background: Breast cancer is a common cancer worldwide. With the establishment of Thailand's population-based cancer registry and availability of complete data from 2002-2011, it is of interest to investigate the epidemiologic and clinic-pathological profiles of breast cancer based on the population-based registry data. Methods: The data of all breast cancer patients in the registry for the period of 2002-2011 were included. All medical records of the patients diagnosed from documents of National Cancer Registry of Thailand were retrieved and the following information abstracted: age, clinical characteristics, and histological variables. Thailand census data for the period of 2002-2011 were used to provide the general population's statistics on age, gender, and other related demographic factors. Results: Over the 10 year-period, 7,711 breast cancer cases were included. The disease incidence under age 40 years was relatively low (4.13/
- Bielinska B, Gaj P, Kluska A, et al (2013). Association of the BRCA1 promoter polymor-phism rs11655505 with the risk of familial breast and/or ovarian cancer. Fam Cancer, [Epub ahead of print].
- Caplan LS, Schoenfeld ER, O'Leary ES, Leske MC (2000). Breast cancer and electromag-netic fields--a review. Ann Epidemiol, 10, 31-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-2797(99)00043-5
- Ekpanyaskul C, Khuhaprema T, Wiangnon S, Sangrajrang S (2010). Case-control study of occupational categories and breast cancer risk in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 793-7.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Hauner D, Janni W, Rack B, Hauner H (2011). The effect of overweight and nutrition on prognosis in breast cancer. Dtsch Arztebl Int, 108, 795-801.
- Ligibel J (2011). Obesity and breast cancer. Oncology, 25, 994-1000.
- Liu X, Lv C, Luan X, Lv M (2013). C282Y polymorphism in the HFE gene is associated with risk of breast cancer. Tumour Biol, [Epub ahead of print].
- Luo J, Margolis KL, Wactawski-Wende J, et al (2011). Association of active and passive smoking with risk of breast cancer among postmenopausal women: a prospective co-hort study. BMJ, 342, 1016. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d1016
- National Cancer Institute (2013). Ministry of Public Health, Bangkok.
- National Statistical Office of Thailand (2012). Population from registration record by age group and sex, whole kingdom: 2001-2010. Bangkok.
- Peplonska B, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N (2001). Occupational risk factors for breast cancer in the epidemiological studies. Med Prev, 52, 483-95.
- Petralia SA, Vena JE, Freudenheim JL, et al (1999). Risk of premenopausal breast cancer in association with occupational exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and ben-zene. Scand J Work Environ Health, 25, 215-21. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.426
- Pierce JP, Natarajan L, Caan BJ, et al (2007). Influence of a diet very high in vegetables, fruit, and fiber and low in fat on prognosis following treatment for breast cancer: the Women's Healthy Eating and Living (WHEL) randomized trial. JAMA, 298, 289-98. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.3.289
- Ramalhinho AC, Marques J, Fonseca-Moutinho J, Breitenfeld L (2013). Genetic polymor-phims of estrogen receptor alpha-397 PvuII (T>C) and -351 XbaI (A>G) in a portuguese population: prevalence and relation with breast cancer susceptibility. Mol Biol Rep, [Epub ahead of print].
- Sriplung H, Sontipong S, Martin N, et al (2005). Cancer incidence in Thailand, 1995-1997. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 276-81.
- Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sontipong S, Sumitsawan Y, Martin N (2006). Cancer incidence trends in Thailand, 1989-2000. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 239-44.
- Stoll BA (1998). Western diet, early puberty, and breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 49, 187-93. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006003110909
- Teng Y, Ghoshal P, Ngoka L, Mei Y, Cowell JK (2013). Critical role of the WASF3 gene in JAK2/STAT3 regulation of cancer cell motility. Carcinogenesis, [Epub ahead of print].
- Comparison of Male and Female Breast Cancer Incidence and Mortality Trends in Central Serbia vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5681
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- SLC35B2 Expression is Associated with a Poor Prognosis of Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6065
- Incidence and Mortality of Female Breast Cancer in Jiangsu, China vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2727
- Differences in Incidence, Mortality and Survival of Breast Cancer by Regions and Countries in Asia and Contributing Factors vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2857
- Proanthocyanidin in Red Rice Inhibits MDA-MB-231 Breast Cancer Cell Invasion via the Expression Control of Invasive Proteins vol.38, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b14-00719