- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Clinicopathological and Prognostic Characteristics of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) in Chinese Patients: A Retrospective Study
- Li, Chun-Yan (3rd Department of Breast Cancer, China Tianjin Breast Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Research Center, Tianjin Medical University, Cancer Institute and Hospital) ;
- Zhang, Sheng (3rd Department of Breast Cancer, China Tianjin Breast Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Research Center, Tianjin Medical University, Cancer Institute and Hospital) ;
- Zhang, Xiao-Bei (3rd Department of Breast Cancer, China Tianjin Breast Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Research Center, Tianjin Medical University, Cancer Institute and Hospital) ;
- Wang, Pei (3rd Department of Breast Cancer, China Tianjin Breast Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Research Center, Tianjin Medical University, Cancer Institute and Hospital) ;
- Hou, Guo-Fang (3rd Department of Breast Cancer, China Tianjin Breast Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Research Center, Tianjin Medical University, Cancer Institute and Hospital) ;
- Zhang, Jin (3rd Department of Breast Cancer, China Tianjin Breast Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Research Center, Tianjin Medical University, Cancer Institute and Hospital)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Aims: To determine the clinical, pathological and prognostic features associated with triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC). Methods: Clinical and histologic data of 21,749 breast cancer patients who were treated at Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital between July 2002 and December 2011 were collected. Patients were divided into two groups: those with TNBC and those with other types of breast cancer. Patients and tumor characteristics were compared between the two groups using the Chi-square test. The prognostic results of 9,823 patients in the study population were also analyzed to determine long-term survival rates in the two groups of breast cancer patients. Results: Among the breast cancer patients treated in our hospital between 2003 and 2011, 10.4%-13.5% of them had triple-negative breast cancers. Data analyses revealed significant differences in disease onset age, family history of breast cancer, tumor size, tumor histologic grade, lymph note positivity and metastatic status between TNBC and non-TNBC patients. There were also significant differences in 5-year, 7-year and 9-year disease-free and 7-year and 9-year overall survival probability between the groups. Conclusions:TNBC are associated with younger disease onset age, larger tumor size, higher rate of axillary lymph node positivity, and higher tumor histologic grade. TNBC is also related to family history of breast cancer, increased metastatic risk and poor prognosis.
Breast cancer;triple negative;prognosis;grade;age at onset;lymph node metastasis
- Albergaria A, Ricardo S, Milanezi F, et al (2011). Nottingham Prognostic Index in triple-negative breast cancer: a reliable prognostic tool? BMC Cancer, 11, 299. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-299
- Bertucci F, Finetti P, Birnbaum D (2012). Basal breast cancer: a complex and deadly molecular subtype. Curr Mol Med, 12, 96-110. https://doi.org/10.2174/156652412798376134
- Blows FM, Driver KE, Schmidt MK, et al (2010). Subtyping of breast cancer by immunohistochemistry to investigate a relationship between subtype and short and long term survival: a collaborative analysis of data for 10,159 cases from 12 studies. PLoS Med, 7, e1000279. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000279
- Carey LA, Dees EC, Sawyer L, et al (2007). The triple negative paradox: primary tumor chemosensitivity of breast cancer subtypes. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 2329-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-1109
- Carey LA, Perou CM, Livasy CA, et al (2006). Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study. JAMA, 295, 2492-502. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.21.2492
- Clarke MJ, WITHDRAWN (2008). Ovarian ablation for early breast cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 4, CD000485.
- Dent R, Trudeau M, Pritchard KI, et al (2007). Triple-negative breast cancer: clinical features and patterns of recurrence. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 4429-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-3045
- DeSantis C, Siegel R, Bandi P, Jemal A (2011). Breast cancer statistics, 2011. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 409-18.
- Furberg H, Millikan R, Dressler L, Newman B, Geradts J (2001). Tumor characteristics in African American and white women. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 68, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017994726207
- Ghafoor A, Jemal A, Ward E, et al (2003). Trends in breast cancer by race and ethnicity. CA Cancer J Clin, 53, 342-55. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.53.6.342
- Gluz O, Liedtke C, Gottschalk N, et al (2009). Triple-negative breast cancer--current status and future directions. Ann Oncol, 20, 1913-27. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp492
- Haffty BG, Yang Q, Reiss M, et al (2006). Locoregional relapse and distant metastasis in conservatively managed triple negative early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 24, 5652-7. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.06.5664
- Hudis CA, Gianni L (2011). Triple-negative breast cancer: an unmet medical need. Oncologist, 16, 1-11.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kandel M, Stadler, Z, Masciari, S., et al (2006). Prevalence of BRCA1 mutations in triple negative breast cancer (BC). J Clin Oncol, 24, 508.
- Kennedy RD, Quinn JE, Mullan PB, Johnston PG, Harkin DP (2004). The role of BRCA1 in the cellular response to chemotherapy. J Natl Cancer Inst, 96, 1659-68. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh312
- Livasy CA, Karaca G, Nanda R, et al (2006). Phenotypic evaluation of the basal-like subtype of invasive breast carcinoma. Mod Pathol, 19, 264-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.3800528
- Menashe I, Anderson WF, Jatoi I, Rosenberg PS (2009). Underlying causes of the black-white racial disparity in breast cancer mortality: a population-based analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst, 101, 993-1000. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp176
- Minn AJ, Gupta GP, Siegel PM, et al (2005). Genes that mediate breast cancer metastasis to lung. Nature, 436, 518-24. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03799
- Oakman C, Moretti E, Pacini G, Santarpia L, Di Leo A (2011). Triple negative breast cancer: a heterogeneous subgroup defined by what it is not. Eur J Cancer, 47, S370-2.
- Peddi PF, Ellis MJ, Ma C (2012). Molecular basis of triple negative breast cancer and implications for therapy. Int J Breast Cancer, 2012, 217185.
- Piccart-Gebhart MJ, Procter M, Leyland-Jones B, et al (2005). Trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 353, 1659-72. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa052306
- Rakha EA, El-Sayed ME, Green AR, et al (2007). Prognostic markers in triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer, 109, 25-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22381
- Ray M, Polite BN (2010). Triple-negative breast cancers: a view from 10,000 feet. Cancer J, 16, 17-22. https://doi.org/10.1097/PPO.0b013e3181d3eef5
- Romond EH, Perez EA, Bryant J, et al (2005). Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med, 353, 1673-84. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa052122
- Rouzier R, Perou CM, Symmans WF, et al (2005). Breast cancer molecular subtypes respond differently to preoperative chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 5678-85. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2421
- Siziopikou KP, Cobleigh M (2007). The basal subtype of breast carcinomas may represent the group of breast tumors that could benefit from EGFR-targeted therapies. Breast, 16, 104-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2006.09.003
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, et al (2001). Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor subclasses with clinical implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 98, 10869-74. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.191367098
- Stoppa-Lyonnet D, Ansquer Y, Dreyfus H, et al (2000). Familial invasive breast cancers: worse outcome related to BRCA1 mutations. J Clin Oncol, 18, 4053-9.
- Tischkowitz M, Brunet JS, Begin LR, et al (2007). Use of immunohistochemical markers can refine prognosis in triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer, 7, 134. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-7-134
- Trivers KF, Lund MJ, Porter PL, et al (2009). The epidemiology of triple-negative breast cancer, including race. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 1071-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9331-1
- Wolff AC, Hammond ME, Schwartz JN, et al (2007). American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 118-45.
- Yuan ZY, Wang SS, Gao Y, et al (2008). Clinical characteristics and prognosis of triple-negative breast cancer: a report of 305 cases. Ai Zheng, 27, 561-65.
- Yuli C, Shao N, Rao R, et al (2007). BRCA1a has antitumor activity in TN breast, ovarian and prostate cancers. Oncogene, 26, 6031-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1210420
- Zhao P, Dai M, Chen W, Li N (2010). Cancer trends in China. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 40, 281-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp187
- Relation of Alcohol/Tobacco use with Metastasis, Hormonal (Estrogen and Progesterone) Receptor Status and c-erbB2 Protein in Mammary Ductal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5709
- SLC35B2 Expression is Associated with a Poor Prognosis of Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma vol.15, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6065
- Clinico-Morphological Profile and Receptor Status in Breast Cancer Patients in a South Indian Institution vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7839
- Triple Negative Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2427
- Outcomes of Triple-Negative Versus Non-Triple-Negative Breast Cancers Managed with Breast-Conserving Therapy vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2577
- Associations Between Mammography and Ultrasound Imaging Features and Molecular Characteristics of Triple-negative Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3555
- Clinicopathology Figures and Long-term Effects of Tamoxifen Plus Radiation on Survival of Women with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and Triple Negative Breast Cancer vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4863
- Ultrasonographic Features of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: a Comparison with Other Breast Cancer Subtypes vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3229
- Epidemiological Study of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Patients in North Indian Population: a Hospital-Based Study vol.8, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-017-0642-5
- Clinicopathological and Molecular Study of Triple-Negative Breast Cancer in Algerian Patients pp.1532-2807, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-017-0242-2
- Triple Negative Breast Cancer: Experience from a North Indian Tertiary Care Center vol.80, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-017-1638-7
- Triple-negative invasive breast carcinoma: the association between the sonographic appearances with clinicopathological feature vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-27222-6