- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Roles of microRNA-206 in Osteosarcoma Pathogenesis and Progression
- Bao, Yun-Ping (Medical School of Yangtze University, The First People's Hospital of Jingzhou) ;
- Yi, Yang (Department of Orthopedics, The First People's Hospital of Jingzhou) ;
- Peng, Li-Lin (Department of Orthopedics, The First People's Hospital of Jingzhou) ;
- Fang, Jing (Department of Neurology, The Second People's Hospital of Jingzhou) ;
- Liu, Ke-Bin (Department of Orthopedics, The First People's Hospital of Jingzhou) ;
- Li, Wu-Zhou (Department of Orthopedics, The First People's Hospital of Jingzhou) ;
- Luo, Hua-Song (Department of Orthopedics, The First People's Hospital of Jingzhou)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Backgroud and Aims: MicroRNA-206 has proven to be down-regulated in many human malignancies in correlation with tumour progression. Our study aimed to characterize miR-206 contributions to initiation and malignant progression of human osteosarcoma. Methods: MiR-206 expression was detected in human osteosarcoma cell 1ine MG63, human normal osteoblastic cell line hFOB 1.19, and paired osteosarcoma and normal adjacent tissues from 65 patients using quantitative RT-PCR. Relationships of miR-206 levels to clinicopathological characteristics were also investigated. Moreover, miR-206 mimics and negative control siRNA were transfected into MG63 cells to observe effects on cell viability, apoptosis, invasion and migration. Results: We found that miR-206 was down-regulated in the osteosarcoma cell line MG63 and primary tumor samples, and decreased miR-206 expression was significantly associated with advanced clinical stage, T classification, metastasis and poor histological differentiation. Additionally, transfection of miR-206 mimics could reduce MG-63 cell viability, promote cell apoptosis, and inhibit cell invasion and migration. Conclusions: These findings indicate that miR-206 may have a key role in osteosarcoma pathogenesis and development. It could serve as a useful biomarker for prediction of osteosarcoma progression, and provide a potential target for gene therapy.
- Alley MC, Scudiero DA, Monks A, et al (1988). Feasibility of drug screening with panels of human tumor cell lines using a microculture tetrazolium assay. Cancer Res, 48, 589-601.
- Ambros V (2003). MicroRNA pathways in flies and worms: growth, death, fat, stress, and timing. Cell, 113, 673-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(03)00428-8
- Bartel DP, and Chen CZ (2004). Micromanagers of gene expression: the potentially widespread influence of metazoan microRNAs. Nat Rev Genet, 5, 396-400.
- Calin GA, Dumitru CD, Shimizu M, et al (2002). Frequent deletions and down-regulation of micro- RNA genes miR15 and miR16 at 13q14 in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 99, 15524-9. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.242606799
- Calin GA, Sevignani C, Dumitru CD, et al (2004). Human microRNA genes are frequently located at fragile sites and genomic regions involved in cancers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 101, 2999-3004. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0307323101
- Casalini P, and Iorio MV (2009). MicroRNAs and future therapeutic applications in cancer. J Buon, 14, S17-22.
- Chen X, Yan Q, Li S, et al (2012). Expression of the tumor suppressor miR-206 is associated with cellular proliferative inhibition and impairs invasion in ERalpha-positive endometrioid adenocarcinoma. Cancer Lett, 314, 41-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2011.09.014
- Cho Y, Jung GH, Chung SH, et al (2011). Long-term survivals of stage IIb osteosarcoma: a 20-year experience in a single institution. Clin Orthop Surg, 3, 48-54. https://doi.org/10.4055/cios.2011.3.1.48
- Fabian MR, and Sonenberg N (2012). The mechanics of miRNAmediated gene silencing: a look under the hood of miRISC. Nat Struct Mol Biol, 19, 586-93. https://doi.org/10.1038/nsmb.2296
- Geller DS, and Gorlick R (2010). Osteosarcoma: a review of diagnosis, management, and treatment strategies. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol, 8, 705-18.
- Iorio MV, Ferracin M, Liu CG, et al (2005). MicroRNA gene expression deregulation in human breast cancer. Cancer Res, 65, 7065-70. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-1783
- Jovanovic M, and Hengartner MO (2006). miRNAs and apoptosis: RNAs to die for. Oncogene, 25, 6176-87. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209912
- Kobayashi E, Hornicek FJ, and Duan Z (2012). MicroRNA Involvement in Osteosarcoma. Sarcoma, 2012, 359739.
- Kondo N, Toyama T, Sugiura H, et al (2008). miR-206 Expression is down-regulated in estrogen receptor alphapositive human breast cancer. Cancer Res, 68, 5004-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-08-0180
- Krek A, Grun D, Poy MN, et al (2005). Combinatorial microRNA target predictions. Nat Genet, 37, 495-500. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1536
- Leivonen SK, Makela R, Ostling P, et al (2009). Protein lysate microarray analysis to identify microRNAs regulating estrogen receptor signaling in breast cancer cell lines. Oncogene, 28, 3926-36. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.241
- Lewis VO (2009). What’s new in musculoskeletal oncology. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 91, 1546-56. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.I.00375
- Liu ZY, Zhang GL, Wang MM, et al (2011). MicroRNA-663 targets TGFB1 and regulates lung cancer proliferation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2819-23.
- Marina N, Gebhardt M, Teot L, and Gorlick R (2004). Biology and therapeutic advances for pediatric osteosarcoma. Oncologist, 9, 422-41. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.9-4-422
- Missiaglia E, Shepherd CJ, Patel S, et al (2010). MicroRNA-206 expression levels correlate with clinical behaviour of rhabdomyosarcomas. Br J Cancer, 102, 1769-77. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605684
- Miyachi M, Tsuchiya K, Yoshida H, et al (2010). Circulating muscle-specific microRNA, miR-206, as a potential diagnostic marker for rhabdomyosarcoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 400, 89-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2010.08.015
- Schmittgen TD, and Livak KJ (2008). Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative C(T) method. Nat Protoc, 3, 1101-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2008.73
- Song G, Zhang Y, and Wang L (2009). MicroRNA-206 targets notch3, activates apoptosis, and inhibits tumor cell migration and focus formation. J Biol Chem, 284, 31921-7. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M109.046862
- Song T, Xia W, Shao N, et al (2010). Differential miRNA expression profiles in bladder urothelial carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 905-11.
- Taulli R, Bersani F, Foglizzo V, et al (2009). The muscle-specific microRNA miR-206 blocks human rhabdomyosarcoma growth in xenotransplanted mice by promoting myogenic differentiation. J Clin Invest, 119, 2366-78.
- Vickers MM, Bar J, Gorn-Hondermann I, et al (2012). Stagedependent differential expression of microRNAs in colorectal cancer: potential role as markers of metastatic disease. Clin Exp Metastasis, 29, 123-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10585-011-9435-3
- Wang X, Ling C, Bai Y, and Zhao J (2011). MicroRNA-206 is associated with invasion and metastasis of lung cancer. Anat Rec, 294, 88-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.21287
- Zhang T, Liu M, Wang C, et al (2011). Down-regulation of MiR-206 promotes proliferation and invasion of laryngeal cancer by regulating VEGF expression. Anticancer Res, 31, 3859-63.
- Screening for Metastatic Osteosarcoma Biomarkers with a DNA Microarray vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1817
- MicroRNA Expression Profile and Functional Analysis Reveal that miR-206 is a Critical Novel Gene for the Expression of BDNF Induced by Ketamine vol.16, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12017-014-8312-z
- Prognostic value of the microRNA-29 family in patients with primary osteosarcomas vol.31, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0037-1
- The downregulation of miR-144 is associated with the growth and invasion of osteosarcoma cells through the regulation of TAGLN expression vol.34, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2014.1963
- RETRACTED ARTICLE: Down-regulation of microRNA-26a and up-regulation of microRNA-27a contributes to aggressive progression of human osteosarcoma vol.10, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13000-015-0400-3
- Reduced expression of microRNA-206 regulates cell proliferation via cyclinD2 in gliomas vol.11, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2015.3171
- The expression and function of miRNA-451 in osteosarcoma vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-014-0324-x
- miRNAs Related to Skeletal Diseases vol.25, pp.17, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/scd.2016.0133
- Translating microRNAs into biomarkers: What is new for pediatric cancer? vol.33, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-016-0766-4
- RETRACTED ARTICLE: Downregulation of microRNA-217 and microRNA-646 acts as potential predictor biomarkers in progression, metastasis, and unfavorable prognosis of human osteosarcoma vol.37, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-3821-4
- Deregulated WWOX is involved in a negative feedback loop with microRNA-214-3p in osteosarcoma vol.38, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2016.2800
- The Anti-dementia Effects of Donepezil Involve miR-206-3p in the Hippocampus and Cortex vol.40, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b16-00898
- The Molecular Genetic Expression as a Novel Biomarker in the Evaluation and Monitoring of Patients With Osteosarcoma-Subtype Bone Cancer Disease vol.55, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10528-017-9801-1
- Effects of microRNA-206 and its target gene IGF-1 on sevoflurane-induced activation of hippocampal astrocytes in aged rats through the PI3K/AKT/CREB signaling pathway pp.00219541, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26248
- Whole transcriptome analysis identifies differentially regulated networks between osteosarcoma and normal bone samples pp.1535-3699, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1535370217736512
- MicroRNA-26a induces osteosarcoma cell growth and metastasis via the Wnt/β-catenin pathway vol.11, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.4073
- MicroRNA-150 upregulation reduces osteosarcoma cell invasion and metastasis by downregulating Ezrin vol.12, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5046
- Regulation of tumor angiogenesis by microRNAs: State of the art vol.234, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.27051
- MicroRNA-27a alleviates LPS-induced acute lung injury in mice via inhibiting inﬂammation and apoptosis through modulating TLR4/MyD88/NF-κB pathway vol.17, pp.16, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15384101.2018.1509635
- The oncomir face of microRNA-206: A permanent miR-206 transfection study vol.243, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1535370218795406
- MALAT1 induces osteosarcoma progression by targeting miR-206/CDK9 axis vol.234, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26923
- microRNA-206 is required for osteoarthritis development through its effect on apoptosis and autophagy of articular chondrocytes via modulating the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/protein kinase B-mTOR pathway by targeting insulin-like growth factor-1 pp.07302312, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.27803
- by Targeting the PAX3-MET Axis vol.60, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2019.60.2.163