- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Estimation of the Projections of the Incidence Rates, Mortality and Prevalence Due to Common Cancer Site in Isfahan, Iran
- Moradpour, Farhad (Department of Health, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Fatemi, Zeinab (Department of Health, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Background: Accurate statistics on the cancer burden are essential, both for purposes of research and for setting priorities in healthcare management. So that in vast countries with partial registration coverage, such as Iran, local data are more useful. We here estimated the incidence, prevalence and mortality time trend of four major cancer site, lung, stomach, breast and prostate, over the period 2001-2010 and provided short-range projections to 2015 in Isfahan. Materials and Methods: Estimates were derived by applying the mortality-incidence analysis method, a back-calculation approach to estimate and project incidence, prevalence and mortality of chronic degenerative disease, starting from knowledge of mortality and relative survival information. Results: Age adjusted incidence, mortality and prevalence rates in Isfahan exhibited a clear upward trend for all four sites during the period 2001-2015, with marked increasees in prostate and breast predicted for the future. Difference in incidence trends between males and females might be attributable to the difference in risk factors specific to certain cancer sites, with smoking being the main risk factor. Conclusions: In this study, males and females displayed an increasing pattern for incidence and mortality rate over the entire study period until 2015. This information can be used as basis for planning healthcare management and allocating recourses in public health.
- Grande E, Inghelmann R, Francisci S, et al (2007). Regional estimates of all cancer malignancies in Italy. Tumori, 93, 345-51.
- Grande E, Inghelmann R, Francisci S, et al (2007). Regional estimates of breast cancer burden in Italy. Tumori, 93, 374-9.
- Grande E, Inghelmann R, Francisci S, et al (2006). Estimating regional cancer burden in countries with partial registration coverage: an application to all malignant neoplasms in Italy over the period 1970-2010. Eur J Cancer, 42, 3236-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.07.016
- Inghelmann R, Grande E, Francisci S, et al (2007). Regional estimates of lung cancer burden in Italy. Tumori, 93, 360-6.
- James RE, Lukanova A, Dossus L, et al (2011). Postmenopausal serum sex steroids and risk of hormone receptor-positive and-negative breast cancer: a nested case-control study. Cancer Prev Res, 4, 1626-35. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0090
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Maracy MR, Moradpour F, Hosseini SM, Tirani M (2012). Cancer incidence and prevalence in isfahan: application of mortality data to estimates and projects for the period 2001-2015. Int J Prev Med, 3, 867-74. https://doi.org/10.4103/2008-7802.104858
- Mohagheghi MA, Mosavi-Jarrahi A, Malekzadeh R, Parkin M (2009). Cancer incidence in Tehran metropolis: the first report from the Tehran population-based cancer registry, 1998-2001. Arch Iran Med, 12, 15-23.
- Mokarian F, Ramezani MA, Heydari K, Tabatabaeian M, Tavazohi H (2011). Epidemiology and trend of cancer in Isfahan 2005-2010. J Res Med Sci, 16, 1228-33.
- Moller H, Fairley L, Coupland V, et al (2007). The future burden of cancer in England: incidence and numbers of new patients in 2020. Br J Cancer, 96, 1484-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603746
- Montazeri A, Sadighi J, Farzadi F, et al (2008). Weight, height, body mass index and risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women: a case-control study. BMC Cancer, 8, 278. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-278
- Adami H-O, Hunter DJ, Trichopoulos D (2008). Textbook of cancer epidemiology. New York ; Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Ali Mohagheghi M, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2010). Review of cancer registration and cancer data in Iran, a historical prospect. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1155-7.
- Ashktorab H, Daremipouran M, Wilson M, et al (2007). Transactivation of the EGFR by AP-1 is induced by Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer. Am J Gastroenterol, 102, 2135-46. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01400.x
- Babaei M, Jaafarzadeh H, Sadjadi A, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in ardabil: report of an an j publ health on going population-based cancer registry in Iran, 2004-2006. Iranian J Publ Health, 38, 35-45.
- Bidgoli SA, Eftekhari T, Sadeghipour R (2011). Role of xenoestrogens and endogenous sources of estrogens on the occurrence of premenopausal breast cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2425-30.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Noncommunicable Deputy Cancer Office. Iranian Annual National Cancer Registration Report 2003-2009 [in Persian]. Tehran (Iran): Ministry of Health and Medical Education; 2010.
- De Angelis G, De Angelis R, Frova L, Verdecchia A (1994). MIAMOD: a computer package to estimate chronic disease morbidity using mortality and survival data. Comput Methods Programs Biomed, 44, 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-2607(94)90091-4
- Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh R, Watabe H, et al (2008). Combination of gastric atrophy, reflux symptoms and histological subtype indicates two distinct aetiologies of gastric cardia cancer. Gut, 57, 298-305. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2007.137364
- Etemadi A, Sadjadi A, Semnani S, et al (2008). Cancer registry in Iran: a brief overview. Arch Iran Med, 11, 577-80.
- Ferlay J, International Agency for Research on Cancer. (2001). GLOBOCAN (2000) cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence worldwide. [IARC Cancer Base no 5]. Lyon, IARCPress: 1 CD-ROM.
- Francisci S, Capocaccia R, Grande E, et al (2009). The cure of cancer: a European perspective. Eur J Cancer, 45, 1067-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.11.034
- Ghiasvand R, Maram ES, Tahmasebi S, Tabatabaee SH (2011). Risk factors for breast cancer among young women in southern Iran. Int J Cancer, 129, 1443-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25748
- Mousavi SM (2009). Toward prostate cancer early detection in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 413-8.
- Mousavi SM, Alamolhoda AA, Gouya MM, Lickiss N (2008). Implementation of comprehensive national cancer control program in Iran: an experience in a developing country. Ann Oncol, 19, 398-400.
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, Davanlou M, Hajsadeghi N, Seddighi Z (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- National Cancer Registration Report 2004-2005 [in Persian]. Tehran (Iran): Ministry of Health and Medical Education; 2005.
- Parkin DM (2006). The evolution of the population-based cancer registry. Nat Rev Cancer, 6, 603-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1948
- Ravakhah K (2006). Death certificates are not reliable: Revivification of the autopsy. Southern Med J, 99, 728-33. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.smj.0000224337.77074.57
- Sadjadi A, Nooraie M, Ghorbani A, et al (2007). The incidence of prostate cancer in Iran: results of a population-based cancer registry. Arch Iran Med, 10, 481-5.
- Sadjadi A, Zahedi M, Moghadam SD, et al (2007). The first population-based cancer survey in Kerman Province of Iran. Iranian J Publ Health, 36, 26-34.
- Sanchez MJ, Payer T, De Angelis R, et al (2010). Cancer incidence and mortality in Spain: estimates and projections for the period 1981-2012. Ann Oncol, 21, 30-6.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Swaminathan R, Brenner H (2011). Stastistical methods for cancer survival analysis. IARC Sci Publ, 162, 7-13.
- Thun MJ, DeLancey JO, Center MM, Jemal A, Ward EM (2010). The global burden of cancer: priorities for prevention. Carcinogenesis, 31, 100-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgp263
- Verdecchia A, Capocaccia R, Egidi V, Golini A (1989). A method for the estimation of chronic disease morbidity and trends from mortality data. Stat Med, 8, 201-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.4780080207
- Verdecchia A, De Angelis R, Francisci S, Grande E (2007). Methodology for estimation of cancer incidence, survival and prevalence in Italian regions. Tumori, 93, 337-44.
- Verdecchia A, Mariotto A, Capocaccia R, et al (2001). Incidence and prevalence of all cancerous diseases in Italy: trends and implications. Eur J Cancer, 37, 1149-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00094-6
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Psychometric Analysis of a Persian Version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer OG25 Quality of Life Questionnaire in Oesophagogastric Cancer Patients vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2739
- Total and Partial Prevalence of Cancer Across Kerman Province, Iran, in 2014, Using an Adapted Generalized Network Scale-Up Method vol.16, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5493
- Epidemiology and Trend of Cancers in the Province of Kerman: Southeast of Iran vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1409
- What is the Most Suitable Time Period to Assess the Time Trends in Cancer Incidence Rates to Make Valid Predictions - an Empirical Approach vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3097
- Psychometric characteristics of the Muslim Religiosity Scale in Iranian patients with cancer vol.14, pp.06, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1478951516000237
- Relationship of SNP rs2645429 in Farnesyl-Diphosphate Farnesyltransferase 1 Gene Promoter with Susceptibility to Lung Cancer vol.2018, pp.2314-4378, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4863757
- Epidemiology of prostate cancer in Asian countries vol.25, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/iju.13593