- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Patho-epidemiological Features of Esophageal and Gastric Cancers in an Endemic Region: a 20-year Retrospective Study
- Hajmanoochehri, Fatemeh (Pathology Department, Metabolic and Diseases Research Center, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mohammadi, Navid (Department of Community Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Nasirian, Neda (Pathology Department, Metabolic and Diseases Research Center, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Hosseinkhani, Mohsen (Anatomical Sciences Department, Metabolic and Diseases Research Center, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2013.06.30
Background: Gastric and esophageal cancers are among the most lethal human malignancies worldwide. Of all malignancies estimated in Iran (47,100), gastric and esophageal cancers were responsible for 7,800 and 3,500 deaths in 2008 respectively. The present study aimed to provide an image of patho-epidemiological characteristics with their trends during two past decades with emphasis on topographic, morphologic, and some demographic features. Materials and Methods: In a hospital-based retrospective study in 2009, all pathological reports from esophageal endoscopies and gastric biopsies through a 20 years period (1989-2008) were collected and analyzed in four interval periods(five years each). Also, all eligible samples in hospital archives were enrolled for further testing. Besides, demography, topography and morphology of all samples were determined and analyzed by statistical software. Results: No significant statistical difference was seen in frequency of espohageal and gastric tumors throughout the study. Esophageal cancer cases were older than gastric. Sex ratio was 2.33/1 and men had a higher rate of both esophageal and gastric tumors. Stomach cancer included 64.3% of all cases. Inferior third and end of esophagus were common locations for esophageal tumors whereas proximal stomach was common for gastric tumors. Squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma were common morphological types of tumors in esophagus and stomach respectively. Conclusions: Morphological trends showed an increase of esophageal adenocarcinoma and diffuse/intestinal ratio in stomach cancers. Trends in incidence from gastric cancer decreased based on topographic studies but we could not find a topographical trend toward cadia.
Stomach;esophagus;neoplasm;adenocarcinoma;squamous cell carcinoma
- Abdi-Rad A, Ghaderi-Sohi S, Nadimi-Barfroosh H, Emami S (2006). Trend in incidence of gastric adenocarcinoma by tumor location from 1969-2004: a study in one referral center in Iran. Diagnostic Pathology, 1, 5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1596-1-5
- Aghaei A, Ahmadi-Jouibari T, Baiki O, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2013). Estimation of the gastric cancer incidence in Tehran by two-source capture-recapture. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 673-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.673
- Aragones N, Izarzugaza MI, Ramos M, et al (2010). Trends in oesophago-gastric cancer incidence in Spain: analysis by subsite and histology. Ann Oncol, 21, 69-75.
- Babaei M, Pourfarzi F, Yazdanbod A, et al (2010). Gastric cancer in Ardabil, Iran - a review and update on cancer registry data. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 595-9.
- Bafandeh Y, Hashemzadeh Sh, Sokouti M, Esmaili H (2006). Clinicopathologic characteristics of esophageal cancer patients in Northwest Iran - very low incidence of adenocarcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 480-2.
- Bennett A, Goldblum JR, Odze RD (2009). Inflammatory disorders of esophagus. In: Odze RD, Goldblum JR, editors. Surgical pathology of GI tract, liver, biliary tract and pancreas. 2nd edition, Sunders-Elsevier, P: 536.
- Botterweck AAM, Schouten LJ, Volovics A, Dorant E, Van den Brandt PA (2000). Trends in incidence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia in ten European countries. Int J Epidemiol, 29, 645-54. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/29.4.645
- Devesa SS, Blot WJ, Fraumeni JF (1998). Changing patterns in the incidence of esophageal and gastric carcinoma in the United States. Cancer, 83, 2049-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19981115)83:10<2049::AID-CNCR1>3.0.CO;2-2
- Hajiani E, Sarmast Shoshtari MH, Masjedizadeh R, Hashemi J, Azmi M, Rajabi T (2006). Clinical profile of gastric cancer in Khuzestan, southwest of Iran. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 4832-5.
- Henson DE, Dittus C, Younes M, Nguyen H, Albores-Saavedra J (2004). Differential trends in the intestinal and diffuse types of gastric carcinoma in the United States, 1973-2000. Arch Pathol & Laboratory Med, 128, 765-70.
- Islami F, Kamangar F, Aghcheli K, et al (2004). Epidemiologic features of upper gastrointestinal tract cancers in Northeastern Iran. Br J Cancer, 90, 1402-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601737
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center M, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA: A Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kaneko S, Yoshimura T (2001). Time trend analysis of gastric cancer incidence in Japan by histological types, 1975-1989. Br J Cancer, 84, 400-5. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2000.1602
- Gopala Krishnappa BR, Vijay CR, Ramesh C, et al (2013). Trends in oesophagus and stomach cancer incidence in Bangalore, India. Gulf J Oncol, 13, 42-50.
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Mitchell RN (2007). The oral cavity and gastrointestinal tract. In: Robbins Basic pathology, 8th edition, Sunders-Elsevier, 2007, pp: 590-8.
- Lauwers GY (2009). Epithelial neoplasms of the stomach. In: Odze RD, Goldblum JR, editors. Surgical pathology of GI tract, Liver, Biliary tract and pancreas. 2nd edition, 2009, Sunders-Elsevier, p: 567.
- Lee JY, Kim HY, Kim KH, et al (2003). No changing trends in incidence of gastric cardia cancer in Korea. J Korean Med Sci, 18, 53-7. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2003.18.1.53
- Macfarlane GJ, Plesko I, Kramarova E, Obsitnikova A, Boyle P (1994). Epidemiological features of gastric and esophageal cancers in Slovakia. Br J Cancer, 70, 177-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1994.272
- Makhdoomi R, Khan AR, Khurshid N, et al (2005). The changing pattern of oesophago-gastric cancer in Kashmir. JK-Practitioner, 12, 189-92.
- Mansour-Ghanaei F, Heidarzadeh A, Naghipour MR, et al (2012). A 10-year study of esophageal cancer in Guilan Province, Iran: the guilan cancer registry study (GCRS). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6277-83. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6277
- Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Pourhoseingholi MA, Zali MR (2008). Effect of demographic and clinicopathologic factors on prognosis of early gastric cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 585-8.
- Mousavi SM, Somi MH (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran 1966- 2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 407-12.
- Nagini S (2012). Carcinoma of the stomach: a review of epidemiology, pathogenesis, molecular genetics and chemoprevention. World J Gastr Oncol, 4, 156-69. https://doi.org/10.4251/wjgo.v4.i7.156
- Newnham A, Quinn MJ, Babb P, Kang JY, Majeed A (2003). Trends in the subsite and morphology of esophageal and gastric cancer in England and Wales 1971-1998. Aliment Pharm Therap, 17, 665-76. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.2003.01521.x
- Popiela T, Kulig J, Kolodziejczyk P, Sierzega M (2002). Changing patterns of gastric carcinoma over the past two decades in a single institution: clinicopathological findings in 1557 patient. Scand J Gastr, 37, 561-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/00365520252903116
- Rampazzo A, Motta G, Fontana K, Fagundes R (2012). Gastric adenocarcinoma trends in the central region of Rio Grande Do Sul (Southern Brazil): what has changed in 25 years? Arquivos de Gastr, 49, 178-83. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0004-28032012000300002
- Rodriguez-Vargas B, Arevalo-Suarez F, Monge-Salgado E, Montes-Teves P (2013). Histologic and endoscopic characteristics of gastric cancer diagnosed in a national hospital of Callao, Peru. Revista Peruana de Medicina Experimentaly Salud Publica, 30, 12-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1726-46342013000100003
- Roshandel Gh, Sadjadi A, Aarabi M, et al (2012). Cancer incidence in Golestan province: report of an ongoing population-based cancer registry in Iran between 2004 and 2008. Archive of Iranian Medicine, 15, 196-200.
- Sadighi S, Raafat J, Mohagheghi M, Meemary F (2005). Gastric carcinoma: 5 year experience of a single institute. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 6, 195-6.
- Shibata A, MatsudaT, Ajiki W, Sobue T (2008). Trend in Incidence of Adenocarcinoma of the Esophagus in Japan, 1993-2001. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 38, 464-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyn064
- Siewert JR, Feith M, Werner M, Stein HJ (2000). Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. Ann Surg, 232, 353-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200009000-00007
- Triboulet JP, Mariette C (2008). Esophageal cancer: what's new during the last 10 years? Bulletin du Cancer, 95, 425-31.
- WHO Global Health Observatory Data Repository, release May 2011. http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/en/index.html, access date: 28 July 2011.
- Yahyapour Y, Shamsi-Shahrabadi M, Mahmoudi M, et al (2012). Evaluation of human papilloma virus infection in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma from the caspian sea area, North of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1261-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1261
- Zhou Y, Zhang Zh, Zhang Zh, et al (2008). A rising trend of gastric cardia cancer in Gansu province of China. Cancer Lett, 269, 18-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.04.013
- Genetic Susceptibility to Esophageal Cancer due to CYP1A1 Gene Variant rs4646903 in Tobacco Addicted Patients of Pashtun Ethnicity: a Case Control Study in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province of Pakistan vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6715
- Adjuvant Radiotherapy for Gastric Carcinoma: 10 years Follow-up of 244 cases from a Single Institution vol.15, pp.20, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.20.8871
- Clinicopathological and p53 Gene Alteration Comparison between Young and Older Patients with Gastric Cancer vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1375
- A Registry Program for Familial Gastric Cancer Patients Referred to Cancer Institute of Iran vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2141
- Late Stage and Grave Prognosis of Esophageal Cancer in Thailand vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1747
- Dietary and Demographical Risk Factors for Oesophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma in the Eastern Anatolian Region of Turkey Where Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers are Endemic vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1913
- Epidemiology Characteristics and Trends of Incidence and Morphology of Stomach Cancer in Iran vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2757