- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of quantitative on T-spine exhalation technique and T-spine breathing technique of natural breathing
T-spine exhalation technique과 자연스런 호흡 상태에서 촬영하는 T-spine breathing technique의 정량적 평가
- Son, Soon-Yong (Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center) ;
- Choi, Kwan-Woo (Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center) ;
- Min, Jung-Whan (Department of Radiology, Shin-Gu University) ;
- Son, Jin-Hyun (Department of Radiology, Shin-Gu University) ;
- Kim, Ki-Won (Department of Radiology, Shin-Gu University) ;
- Jung, Jae-Hong (Department of Oncology, Soonchunhyang University Bucheon Hospital) ;
- Jeong, Hoi-Woun (Department of Radiology, Baekseok Culture University)
- 손순룡 (서울아산병원 영상의학과) ;
- 최관우 (서울아산병원 영상의학과) ;
- 민정환 (신구대학교 방사선과) ;
- 손진현 (신구대학교 방사선과) ;
- 김기원 (신구대학교 방사선과) ;
- 정재홍 (부천순천향대학병원) ;
- 정회원 (백석문화대학교)
- Received : 2013.06.19
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
Measurements of CNR(Contrast to Noise Ratio) and SNR(Signal to Noise Ratio) of T-spine breathing technique (TBT) using spontaneous breathing and T-spine exhalation technique (TET) with full exhalation were carried out, and with which the more appropriate method was suggested. Both TBT and TET were examined in a sample of fifty-three patients who visit to our hospital for spinal disease from June 2012 to November 2012. All images were evaluated with CNR measured from the differences between the mean pixels and contrast density as setting ROI of spinous process, pedicle, vertebral body, intervertebral foramen, and intervertebral disk using Image J. SNR was measured with the mean pixels and the standard deviation as setting ROI of vertebral body using Image J. In CNR comparison and SNR comparison of TET and TBT, TBT was indicated as excellent in ROI of pedicle, vertebral body, intervertebral foramen and intervertebral disk, and statistical analysis were significant(p<.01). As TBT indicated excellent images compared to the existing T-spine lateral radiography, T-spine lateral radiography would be reestablished and significant as applying to various medical institutions.
T-spine breathing technique;CNR;SNR
- Singh K, Kim D, Vaccaro AR, "Thoracic and lumbar spinal injuries". The spine 5th ed, Philadelphia, Saunders, pp.1132-1156, 2006.
- B. J. Shin, T. K. Yun, H. S. Kang, J. C. Lee, K. J. Kim, Y. I. Kim, "Intraspinal gas with lumberjack injury". J of Korean Society of Spine Surg, 3, pp.195-201, 1996.
- S. S. Kang, S. G. Ko, I. H. Ko, "TEXTBOOK of Radiographic Positioning and Clinical Diagnosis". Chung-Ku publishing Co, pp.225-250, 2008.
- B. J. Shin, "Thoracic and lumbar spine injury, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery". Journal of Korean Spine Surg, 6(2), pp.271-280, 1999.
- K. S. Kim, S. Y. Son, K. S. Lee, D. Y. Ha, "A Study on usefulness of T-spine breathing-technique for improving image quality". pp.99-106, 2012.
- Doi K, "Diagnostic imaging over the last 50 years: research and development in medical imaging science and tecnology". Phys Med Biol, 51(13), pp.R5-R27, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/51/13/R02 https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/51/13/R02
- J. M. Kim, J. W. Min, H. W. Jeong, E. K. Im, H. J. Yang, "The noise evaluation for Ragius 150 CR system". Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, 29(4), pp.237-240, 2006.
- J. W. Min, J. M. Kim, H. W. Jeong, "Mixed noise reduction filters for CR Images". Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, 30(1), pp.1-6, 2007.
- J. W. Min, J. M. Kim, H. W. Jeong, C. I. Ohk, "Research about filter association and clinical effect noise reduction of digital imaging system". Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, 30(4), pp.329-334, 2007.
- H. W. Jeong, J. W. Min, J. M. Kim, M. S. Park, K. Y. Lee, "Performance characteristic of a CsI(TI) flat panel detector radiography system". Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, 35(2), pp.109-117, 2012.
- H. S. Park, Y. N. Oh, H. J. Jo, S. T. Kim, Y. N. Choi, H. J. Kim, "Comparison study of image quality of direct and indirect conversion digital mammography system". Journal of Korean Society of Radiological Technology, 21(3), pp.239-245, 2010.
- Gertzbein SD, "Fractures of the thoracic and lumbar spine, Baltimore". Williams & Wikins, 1992.
- Shapiro S, Abel T, Rodgers RB, "Traumatic thoracic spinal fracture dislocation with minimal or no cord injury". Report of four cases and review of the literature, J neuro surg(Spine 3), pp.333-337, 2002.
- White A, Panjabi M, "Clinical biomechanics of the spine". J.B.Lippincott Company, pp.3-77, 1990.
- Andriacchi T, Schultz A, Belytschko T, Galante J, "A model for studies of mechanical interactions between the human spine and rib cage". J Biomech, pp.497-507, 1974. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(74)90084-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(74)90084-0
- Bohlman H, Freehafer A, Dejak J, "The results of treatment of acute injuries of the upper thoracic paralysis". J Bone Joint Surg, pp.360-369, 1985.
- H. K. Kim, M. K. Jo, "Investigation of radiation effects on the signal and noise characteristics in digital radiography". J. Biomed. Eng. Res, 28(6), pp.756-767, 2007.
- Fuller MJ, "Breathing Exposure Techniques in Radiography, Lateral chest x-ray Digital Double-Dipping, Soft Tissue Signs-Thoracic Spine". wikiRadiography.
- McEvoy RD, Bradford DS, "The management of burst fractures of the thoracic and lumbar spine, experience in 53 patients". Spine, 10, pp.631-637, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198509000-00007 https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198509000-00007
- Daffner RH, Deeb ZL, Rothfus WE, "The posterior vertebral body line: importance in detection of burst fractures". Am J Roentgenol, 148, pp.93-96, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2214/ajr.148.1.93 https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.148.1.93
- Wang SC, Grattan-Smith A, "Thoracolumbar burst fractures: two "new" plain film signs with CT correlation". Australas Radiol, 31, pp.404-413, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1673.1987.tb01862.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1673.1987.tb01862.x
- E. C. Jang, H. J. Jung, C. K. Park, "Diagnosis of Burst Fracture of the Spine on Plain Radiographs Using the Wintopo Program". J of Korean Orthop, ASSOC, 38, pp.432-436, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2003.38.4.432
- Andy C, "Modified Lateral Thoracic Spine Technique, Imaging Vertebral Body Wedge Fractures, Aluminium Filter Techniques in Radiography". wikiRadiography.