- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The effect of sociality on school adjustment among middle school students from formally broken families, focusing on the mediating role of ego-resilience
한부모가정 중학생의 사회성이 학교적응에 미치는 영향 -자아탄력성의 매개 효과를 중심으로-
- Kim, Hyeon-Mi (Division of Nursing, Simon Mental Health Hospital)
- 김현미 (시몬정신건강병원 간호과)
- Received : 2013.08.19
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study was designed to find out what influences sociality on school adjustment among middle school students from formally broken families, and whether ego-resilience may have a mediating effect on the relationship between sociality and school adjustment. The participants were 147 middle school students from formally broken families in D city. Data were analyzed using the SPSS/WIN 18.0. version. As a result, both sociality(r=.716) and ego-resilience(r=.706) had significant influence on school adjustment. And also their ego-resilience played a mediating role between sociality and school adjustment. Therefore, it is necessary to develop and apply programs for improving the students' sociality and ego-resilience that can influence school adjustment.
Broken Family;Ego-resilience;School Adjustment;Sociality
- "2011 Divorce.Marriage statistics", Korea National Statistical Office, 2012.
- S. D. Hwang, E. H. Park, "The Effect of Parental Attitude and Social Support on School Adjustment among Children from Multi-Cultural Families, Focusing on the Mediating Role of Self-Esteem", Social Science Research Review, Kyungsung University, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp.123-145, 2010.
- S. Y. Jo, "Social Support and School Adaptation of Adolescents from Broken-home", Unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, 2011.
- Masten, A. S., "Ordinary magic: Resilience Process in Development", American psychologist, Vol. 56, pp.277-238, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.227 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.227
- M. R. Song, "The Relationship Between Emotion Neglect and Children's Ego Resilience and School-related Adjustment", Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, 2005.
- Y. S. Lee, "A Study on School Stress, Self-resilience and School Adaptation of Adolescents: with Female Students at High School", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2004.
- Y. M. Park, "The Effects of Children from Low Income Families' Perceived Social Support on Eog-resiliency and Sociality : Focused on Community Child Center", Unpublished master's thesis, Myongji University, 2010.
- M. S. Jung, "The Influence of Family Structure on the Child's Personality and Social Development", Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Baekseok University, 2009.
- S. A. Lee, J. Y. Park, Y. H. Kim, Y. E. Chang, S. Y. Auh, "The Effects of Perceived Family Strength and Ego-resilience on the Adjustment of Children from Low-income Families to School", Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp.305-312, 2009.
- Y. S. Park, "A Study on the Factors Influencing School Adjustment of Adolescents from Divorced Families", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2003.
- Kyu-Mee, Lee, "A Study of Middle-School Students' School Adjustment Constructs", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.383-398, 2005.
- Baron, R. M., Kenny, D. A., "The Moderator-mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic and Statistical Consideration", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, pp.1173-1182. 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.113 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Ok-seon, Kim, "The Impacts on Elementary School Students' Satisfaction with School Life of Family Strengths Perceived by them and their Ego Resiliency", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University, 2005.
- S. J. Kim, "Relationships between Self-esteem, Sociality and School-related Adjustment in Elementary School Students", Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, 2005.
- H. L. Song, "The Relationship between the Group Ostracizing and Adolescen's Ego-resiliency and School-adjustment", Unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, 2009.
- S. S. Shim, J. B. Ahn, R. Y. Kim, "Influence of Leisure Experiences on Development of Sociality and Adaption of School Life of Middle School Students", The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp.111-127, 2011.
- E. M. Hyun & H. Y. Park, "A Study on the Ego-Resilience and Social Adaptability of the Children and Adolescence in Institutional Care", Journal of Korean Home Management Association, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp.21-31 , 2005.