- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A study on pruritus of female alcoholics
여성알코올중독환자의 소양증에 관한 연구
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon (Health Science, Wonkwang General Graduate School) ;
- Kim, Hui-Kyung (Health Science, Wonkwang General Graduate School)
- Received : 2013.08.14
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
Alcohol affects human body very seriously by causing different types of disease. Therefore, a great deal of studies on alcohol addiction have been conducted. There is little, however, on skin problem in relation to alcohol abuse in domestic researches. This study, with this reason, has been conducted on alco holic women, especially who have sensitive skin, with pruritus. From May 1st until 20th, 2013, surveys using same questionnaires had been carried out for the two different groups. one with 114 female alcoholics from four different clinics for acoholics through the nation, the other with 106 residents without alcoholic problems in Cheong-ju and Seong-nam city. From the comparative study of those surveys, alcohol addicts showed higher scores on pruritus than those without alcoholic problems. In addition, Audit-K score had positive correlation with pruritus score, and drinking cycle and quantity, too, had been found related to pruritus. It is expected that the findings will be used as a fundamental data for treating alcohol addicts with skin disease and leading more active researches on this field for the future.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare(HP2020). The 3rd Master Plan for National Health Promotion. pp.292-319, 2011.
- Eun-sook park. A Compilation of Lectures for The Best Leadership Course For Women. Wonkwang Graduate School of Public Administration. p.99, 1992.
- ARNON D. COHEN, SIMA HALEVY. Alcohol Intake, Immune Response, and the Skin. Clinics in Dermatology pp.411-412, 1999.
- Stephanie W. Liu, MD, Mary H. Lien, MD, Neil Alan Fenske, MD. The effects of alcohol and drug abuse on the skin. Clinics in Dermatology pp.391-399, 2010.
- Ahn Seonggu, Lee Seungheon. Dermatology, Korean Medicine. p.270, 2002.
- Schuckit MA. Genetic and clinical implications of alcoholism and affective disorder. Am J Psychiatry. pp.140-147, 1986.
- Texon M. Medical aspects of an alcoholic service in a general hospital; report of 500 cases. Q J Stud Alcohol p.205, 1950.
- Rosset M, Oki G. Skin diseases in alcoholics. Q J Stud Alcohol. pp.1017-1024, 1971.
- Kari Poikolainen, Jaakko Karvonen, Eero Pukkala. Excess Mortality related to Alcohol and Smoking Among Hospital-treated patients with psoriasis. American Medical Association. pp. 1490-1493, 1999.
- Woo-seon Jang, Chan-eung Kim, Seong-eun Kim, Beom-jun Kim, and Beom-jun Kim. Effects of Alcohol Intake on the Skin Physiology. Korean Journal of Dermatology. pp.948-954, 2010.
- Mi-gyeong Yang and Gyeong-hyeon Seoh. The Relationship between Alcohol Consumption and Perceived Skin Health among Female Adults. Journal of The Korean Alcohol Science. pp.33-43, 2009.
- Jin-young Kim. The Effect of Drinking and Stress on Women's Skin Condition. Master's Thesis at Graduate School of Health and Welfare. Sahmyook Univ. pp.29-30, 2010.
- Korean Public Health Association, The Ministry of Health and Welfare.Statistical System on Alcohol Drinking - Harmful Use of Alcohol, http://stat.kpha.or.kr/.(accessed June, 6, 2013)
- Seon-young Jeong. The Relationship of Sex-roles Identity, Self-esteem, Social support and Satisfaction of life of the Alcoholic women and General women. Mater's Thesis at Graduate School of Social Development of Dongshin Univ. p8. 2003.
- Galanter, M. Gender Dkfferences in Alcohol Metabolism, in: Alcoholism & Women, Recent Devlopments in Alcoholism. 12, Ed. by Thomass-on HR, New Yor, Plenum Press. pp.163-179, 1995.
- Jeong-hwan Seong, Chang-hun Lee, Hyeon-jin Doh, Seung-won Oh, Ryeol-ri Im, Jae-gyeong Choi, Hyeok-jung Gwon, and Dong-young Cho. Performance of the AUDIT Alcohol Consumption Questions(AUDIT-C) and AUDIT-K Question 3 Alone in Screening for Problem Drinking. Family Medicine Class at Medical Graduate School of Konkuk Univ, Journal of Family Medicine Association. pp.695-702, 2009.
- Duo,L. J. Electrical Needle Therapy of Uremic Pruritus. Nephron, 47, 179-183. 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000184487 https://doi.org/10.1159/000184487
- Eun-jeong Kim. The Effects of Aromatherapy on Skin pH and Pruritus in Patients with xerosis cutis and Feeling of Satisfaction with Aroma Oils. Master's Thesis at Graduate School of Health Science of Daegu Haany Univ. pp18-19. 2004.
- Hae-woong Lee. A Study on the Effect of Drinking and Smoking on Psoriasis. Maser's Thesis at Graduate School of Ulsan Univ. p5. 2004.
- Sang-ah Kim. Alcohol and Depression. Korean Studies Information Co., Ltd. 2006.
- Jae-hee Choi. A Study on Skin Care Program for Dry Skin. Graduate School of Food and Drug Administration of Chung-Ang Univ. 2012.
- Rosset M, Oki G. Skin diseases in alcolholics. Q J Stud Alcohol 32: 1017-1024. 1971.
- Klecz, R. J., Schwartz, R.A. Pruritus. American Family Physician, 45(6), 2681-2686. 1992.
- Shin-hee Kim. Factors related to skin health of adult women. Master's Thesis at Graduate School of Health Science of Daegu Haany Univ. 2012.
- Ae-ri Sohn and Jin-young Kim. The Effect of Drinking Quantity on Skin Health State: Moderating Effect of Sleep Deprivation. Journal of The Korean Alcohol Science, Vol. 10, No.1. 2010.