- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Affecting Factors on Clinical Competence of Nursing Students
간호대학생의 임상수행능력 영향 요인
- Jang, Hee-Jung (School of Nursing, Yeungnam College of Science & Technology) ;
- Kwag, Youn-Kyoung (Department of Nursing, Silla University)
- Received : 2013.08.08
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the level of clinical competence and influencing factors of clinical competence in nursing students. Convenience sample of 197 subjects were recruited from two colleges in D city. The survey was conducted from March 2nd to 21th 2011. The data was collected by questionnaires and was analyzed with SPSS statistics 21.0. The mean score of clinical competence was 3.96. Significant positive correlation among clinical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, major satisfaction, satisfaction with clinical practice, clinical competence were found. It was found that the effect of clinical thinking disposition, completion of logic course, problem solving ability on clinical competence was 27.2% and clinical thinking disposition influence on clinical competence in nursing students. The study findings suggest that to develop the effective learning program with achievement level of clinical competency for nursing students.
Nursing student;Clinical competency
- I. S. Kwon, "An analysis of research in clinical nursing education", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 706-715, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.5.706
- J. W. Distler, "Critical thinking and clinical competence : result of the implementation of student-centered teaching strategies in an advanced practice nurse curriculum", Nurse Education in practice, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 53-59, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.08.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.08.003
- M. S. Choi, A study on the relation between teaching effectiveness of clinical nursing education and clinical competency in nursing students, Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2005.
- P. Burns. & F. C. Poster, "Competency development in new registered nurse graduates: closing the gap between education and practice", Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 67-73, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080201-03 https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20080201-03
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, Specify the college four-year term of study screening, retrieved April, 22, 2013, http://kabon.or.kr/kabon02/index04.php, 2013
- National Council of State Board of Nursing, http//www.ncsbn.org(accessed Mar, 30, 2013) (2003)
- D. Rane-Szostak, & J. F. Robertson, Issues in measuring critical thinking; meeting the challenge, Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 5-11, 1996.
- Z. Zhang, W. Luk, D. Arther, & T. Wong, "Nursing competencies; personal characteristic contributing to effective nursing performance". Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 467-479, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01688.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01688.x
- Y. H. Shon, H. S. Kang et al, "Comparison of student nurse graduating from a junior college or a university on observation and performance of nursing role" Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 172-181, 2006.
- K. R. Shin, J. Y. Ha &, & K. H. Kim, "A Longitudinal Study of Critical Thinking Dispositions & Critical Thinking Skills in Baccalaureate Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 382-389, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.382
- I. S. Kwon, et al., "Development of a Critical Thinking Disposition Scale for Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- S. G. Chun, "Study on the effectiveness of social skills training program for rehabilitation of the schizophrenic patients", Unpublished Doctor's thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul, 1995.
- H. S. Ha, A study if department satisfaction and school satisfaction of university students, Unpublished Master's thesis, Seoul Nation University, Seoul, 1999.
- W. H. Lee, J.G. Kim, J. S. Yoo, H. K. Hau, K. S. Kim, & S. M. Yim, A study in instrument development of clinical competence of nursing students, Yeonse Nursing, 13, pp17-29, 1991.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. "G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences". Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Y. H. Lee et al, Statistical methods for health care research, Koon Ja Medical, Seoul, 2006.
- H. O. Kang, A study on the clinical performance ability, self-concept of professional nursing and satisfaction with clinical practice on nursing student, Unpublished Mater's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 2009.
- J. A. Cha, Correlations between for nursing students in satisfaction with clinical practice and clinical practice and clinical performance ability, Mater's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2013.
- K. J. Ko, A study on the critical thinking disposition and clinical competency of nursing students, Mater's thesis, Kwandong University, Kangneung, 2003.
- S. K. Chaung, Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, and clinical competence in nursing students, Korean Academy of Fundamental of Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 71-78, 2011.
- K. H. Kim, G. D. Kim, The relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy of college nursing students, The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 229-236, 2007.
- J. J. Yang, The influencing factors on clinical competence of nursing student, Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 159-165, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.159 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.159
- I. S. Kwon et al , "Development of Critical Thinking Disposition Scale for Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 950-958, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.950
- M. R. Ma, Critical Thinking Disposition and Problem Solving Ability of Nursing Students, Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 2009.
- M. S. Park, M. H. Lee, & J. A. Gu, "Clinical Competency Professional Self-Concept, and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Undergraduate Nursing Students", Journal of Military Nursing Research, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 111-123, 2011.
- Study on Predictors of Academic Resilience in Nursing Students vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1615
- Factors Affecting the Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics of Nursing Students vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4423
- Factors Influencing Clinical Competence in Nursing Students vol.21, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.283
- Effects of a Simulation-based High-risk neonatal Care Education on Learning Satisfaction, Class Participation, Learning Motivation and Clinical Competency in Nursing Students vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6807
- The Relationship among Self-esteem, Empathy, Communication Skill and Clinical Competency of Nursing Students vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7698
- A Study on Clinical Reasoning Ability and Academic Achievements in Nursing Students vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1874
- Affecting Factors on Clinical Competence of Nursing Students vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.1884
- A Meta-analysis of the Effect of Simulation Based Education - Korean Nurses and Nursing Students - vol.21, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.308
- Effect of Attribution Disposition and Self-Efficacy on Clinical Practice Competence of Nursing Student vol.29, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.3.452
- Relationship between Problem Solving Ability, Critical Thinking Disposition, Creativity, Self Efficacy and Nursing Process Competence of Nursing Students vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.612