- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Prevalence and Risk Factors of Colonic Polyps in Colonoscopy Examinees
대장내시경 수검자에서 관찰된 대장용종의 유병률 및 위험인자
- Kang, Yang-Hee (Department of Nursing, Changshin University)
- 강양희 (창신대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2013.06.11
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study was performed to evaluate the prevalence and risk factors of colonic polyps which is an established premalignant lesion and to provide basic data for the management of colon cancer in asymptomatic adults. The subjects of this study were 995 persons who underwent screening colonoscopy between January to December 2010 in health promotion center of an University Hospital located in Busan, and structured questionnaire, medical questionnaire, medical records were reviewed retrospectively. The data were analyzed by SPSS 18.0 program. Colonic polyps were found in 63.2% of the subjects. The prevalence rate of colonic polyps was significantly higher in males and it increased with age. Age, sex and exercise were found to be related independently to colonic polyps. Early detection of colonic polyps by colonoscopy is important for adults over 40 years, and it is necessary to advise such subjects to correct a wrong life-style in order to primarily prevent the development of colonic polyps.
Colonic Polyps;Prevalence;Risk Factors
- Jeon, G. S., Choi, E. S., Lee, H. Y., "Gender- related difference in the utilization of health care services by Korean adults", Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 24(2), pp. 182-196, 2010.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2008 National cancer registration statistics. Seoul; Author. 2010.
- Statistics Korea. 2009 Annual report on the causes of death statistics. Seoul; Author. 2010.
- National Cancer Information Center. 2010 Cancer Statics; Retrieved August 11, 2012, from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/index.html
- Waye, J. D., "Colon polyps: problems, promises, prospects". American Journal of Gastroenterology, 81(2), pp. 101-103, 1986.
- Bond, J. H., "Doubling time of flat and polypoid colorectal neoplasms: defining the adenoma- carcinoma sequence". American Journal of Gastroenterology, 95(7), pp. 1621-1623, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2214/ajr.183.5.1831343
- Park, S. H., Kim, H. S., Kim, S. E., Oh, K. H., Kim, J. H., & Kim, G. S., "Relationship between adults' optimistic bias about colorectal cancer and life styles". Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 23(2), pp. 186-198, 2009.
- Janne, P. A., Mayer, R. J., "Primary care: chemoprevention of colorectal cancer". The New England Journal of Medicine, 342, pp. 1960-1968, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200006293422606 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200006293422606
- Kelloff, G. J., Crowell, J. A., Steele, V. E., Lubet, R. A., Boone, C. W., Malone, W. A., Hawk, E. T., Lieberman, R., Lawrence, J. A., Kopelovich, L., Ali, I., Viner, J. L., Sigman, C. C., "Progress in cancer chemoprevention: Development of diet-derived chemopreventive agents". Journal of Nutrition, 130, pp. 4675-4715, 2000.
- Ozick, L. A., Jacob, L., Donelson, S. S., "Distribution of adenomatous polyps in African-Americans". American Journal of Gastroenterology, 90(7), pp. 1260-1270, 1995.
- Im, S. E., "Association of colon polyps with lifestyle at a health promotion center". Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul, 2010.
- Kim, D. H., Kim, M. C., Jung, T. H., "Risk factors of colorectal polyps in Korean adults". The Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 23(7), pp. 890-896, 2002.
- Park, J. H., "Clinical characteristics and risk factors for colon polyp in the health screen examinee". Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2008.
- Shin, H. S., "An analysis study of incidence and risk factors of colon polyps observed by colonoscopy in health promotion center". Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul, 2007.
- Song, H. S., "The risk factors for colonic adenomatous polyps in health examinee". Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungsang National University, Jinju, 2010.
- Almendingen, K., Hofstad, B., Vatn M. H., "Does high body fatness increase the risk of presence and growth of colorectal adenomas followed up in situ for 3years". American Journal of Gastroenterology, 96(7), pp. 2238-2246, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9270(01)02505-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9270(01)02505-9
- Nam, J. H., Yang, C. H., "Clinical characteristics and risk factors of colon polyps in gyeongju and pohang area", The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, 52(3), pp. 142-149. 2008.
- Choe, S. E., Lee, S. Y., "Characteristics and Risk Factors on Colorectal Polyps by the gender in Health Screen Examinees". Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 13(2), pp. 164-173, 2011.
- Yun, S. J., Kim, N. Y., Kim, Y. T., Jeong, H. C., Lee, H. S., Yun, Y. B., Song, I. S., Choi, K. W., Kim, J. R., "Colorectal polyp in Korea". The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, 23(2), pp. 450-457, 1991.
- Fruhmorgen, P., Matek, W., "Significance of polypectomy in the large bowel-endoscopy". Endoscopy 15, pp. 155. 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-1021495 https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-1021495
- Kim, M. C., "A study on the alcohol and smoking as risk factors for colorectal polyps in Korean adults". Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Inje University, Pusan, 2002.
- Kim, Y. H., Lee, H. Y., Son, H. J., Kim, H. J., Kim, J. J., Baek, S. W., Lee, J. C., Seong, I. K., Jeaon, S. G., Oh, Y. R., Go, K. C., Lee, P. R., "The prevalence and characteristics of colorectal polyps found by sigmoidoscopy in asymptomatic Korean adult". The Korean Journal of Medicine, 55(1), pp. 21-27, 1998.
- Kim, M. K., Lee, W. C., Choi, K. Y., Lee, S. Y., Kim, S. I., Lee, Y. J., Maeng, K. H., "Obesity and physical activity related to colorectal adenoma by anatomic sites in Korea". Epidemiology and Health, 21(2), pp. 245-265, 1999.
- Seo, D. I., Kim, S. K., Chang, H. K., "The effects of 12 weeks of walking exercise on body composition and physical fitness in middle aged women". Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 23(1), pp. 61-68, 2009.
- Lee, G. E., Park, H. S., Yun, K. E., Jun, S. H., Kim, H. K., Cho, S. i., Kim, J. H., "Association between BMI and metabolic syndrome and adenomatous colonic polyps in Korean men", Obesity, 16(6), pp. 1434-1439, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.216 https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.216
- Jung, M. K., "Early detection of colorectal cancer: Polypectomy and follow-up test after polypectomy". 18th Seminar of Korean Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Elective lecture, pp. 1-46, 1998.