- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of a fast spin echo technique using the signal void in acquisition of black blood images
흑혈류영상 획득 시 신호소실을 활용한 고속스핀에코기법의 유용성
- Choi, Kwan-Woo (Department of Health Science, Graduate School Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Yoon-Shin (Department of Health Science, Graduate School Hanyang University) ;
- Son, Soon-Yong (Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center) ;
- Lee, Hee-Ju (Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center) ;
- Min, Jung-Whan (Department of Radiology, Shin-Gu University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Seok (Department of Radiotechnology, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Yoo, Beong-Gyu (Department of Radiotechnology, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- 최관우 (한양대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 김윤신 (한양대학교 대학원 보건학과) ;
- 손순룡 (서울아산병원 영상의학과) ;
- 이희주 (서울아산병원 영상의학과) ;
- 민정환 (신구대학교 방사선과) ;
- 이종석 (원광보건대학교 방사선과) ;
- 유병규 (원광보건대학교 방사선과)
- Received : 2013.06.24
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
The purpose of our study is to shorten the scanning time and minimize the inconveniences of the patients in acquisition of the black blood images using the signal void effect in the fast spin echo technique while keeping the diagnostic value of the test. Thirty-two consecutive patients who underwent black blood MR imaging were examed with additional double inversion recovery (DIR) sequence and the conventional fast spin echo (FSE) sequence. Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and Contrast to Noise Ratio (CNR) of the internal carotid arteries' lumen were compared in T1 and T2 weighted images to determine whether there are differences between the two techniques for depiction of the signal void effect inside the vessel wall. The FSE images showed lower SNR values than the DIR images in both of the T1 and T2 weighted images (11.49% and 13.66% respectively). While the CNR values were higher in the FSE images than in the DIR images in both of the T1 and T2 weighted images (8.69% and 7.55% respectively).There was no significant difference between the two techniques for either of the SNR or CNR (p>0.05, p>0.05 respectively). The DIR and the FSE images demonstrated almost identical imaging patterns. Therefore, it is anticipated that the use of FSE technique in acquisition of the black blood imaging could reduce the inconveniences of the patients during the scanning and minimize exam time while keeping the diagnostic value of the test.
Atherosclerosis;Black blood imaging;Double inversion recovery;Turbo spin echo;ICA;SNR;CNR
Supported by : 원광보건대학교
- H. S. Seo, "Pathophysiology of Atherosclerosis", Clinical Vascular Medicine, pp. 14-25, 2009.
- Seoul National University Hospital. Knowledge encyclopedia. NHN Corp., Available From: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?cid=865&docId=92733 8&mobile&categoryId=1747, (accessed Jan., 23, 2013)
- D. K. Lee, Y. J. Kwon, S. M. Lee, J. Y. Yang, C. S. Choi, M. B. Ju, "MR Angiographic Findings in Ischemic Stroke patients with Extracranial Caretid Artery Stenosis", J Korean Neurosurg Soc., Vol. 33, pp. 353-357, 2003.
- Jean M, Rikin A, Evis Sala, Martin J, Mathew G, Nicholas J, Justin C, William H, Richard A, Peter J, Nagui M, Jonathan H, "Evaluation of carotid stenosis with acial high resolution black-blood MR imaging", Eur Radiol., Vol. 14, pp. 1154-1161, 2004.
- Tobias S, Jose G, Clemens C, Katja B, Georgios M, Olaf D, Dirk A, Ute F, Chun Y, Thomas S, Abd W, Maximilian F, Konstantin N, "High resolution carotid black-blood 3T MR with parallel imaging and dedicated 4-channel surface coils", J Cardiovasc Magn Reson., pp. 1-12, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1532-429X-11-41 https://doi.org/10.1186/1532-429X-11-41
- H. K. Song, Alexander C, Ronald L, Felix W, "Multislice Double Inversion Pulse Sequence for Efficient Black-Blood MRI", Magn Reson Med., Vol. 47, pp. 616-620, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mrm.10094 https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.10094
- Stavros M, Jonathan N, William A, Alan J, "Does black blood MRA have an rele in th assessment of intracerebral aneurysms?", Eur Radiol, Vol. 19, pp. 184-192, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00330-008-1127-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-008-1127-2
- Mathias Goyen, Tomas C. Lauenstein, Christoph U. Herborn, Jorg F, Debatin, MBA, Silke Bosk, Stefan G, Ruehm, "0.5M Gd chelate(Magnevist) Versus 1.0M Gd Chelate(Gadovist): Dose-Independent Effect on Image Quality of Pelvic Three-Dimensional MR-Angiography", J Magn Reson Imaging., Vol 14, pp. 602-607, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jmri.1225 https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.1225
- S. Haneder, U. Attenberger1, S. O. Schonberg, C. Loewe, J. Arnaiz Garcia, H. J. Michaely, Mannheim/DE, Vienna/AT, Santander/ES, "Intra-individual efficacy evaluation of Dotarem(R)-enhanced MRA compared to Gadovist(R)-enhanced MRA in the diagnosis of clinically significant abdominal or lower limb arterial diseases", Eur Radiol., pp. C-1016, 2010.
- Tobias S, Jose G, Clemens C, Katja B, Georgios M, Olaf D, Dirk A, Ute F, Chun Y, Thomas S, Abe W, Maximilian F, Konstantin N, "High resolution carotid black-blood 3T MR with parallel imaging and dedicated 4-channel surface coils", J Cardiovasc Magn Reson., Vol. 11, pp. 1-12, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1186/1532-429X-11-1
- Sarah C, Khaled A, Daniel R, Messroghli, Timothy J, John P, Ridgway Mohan U, "The reproducibility of left ventricular volume and mass measurements: a comparison between dual-inversion-recovery black-blood sequence and SSFP", Eur Radiol, Vol. 16, pp. 32-37, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00330-005-2853-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-005-2853-3
- SeshaSailaja A, H. K. Song, Alexander C, Felix W, "High-resolution black-blood MRI of the carotid vessel wall using phased-array coils at 1.5 and 3 Tesla", Acad Radiol., Vol. 12, pp. 1521-1526, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2005.08.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2005.08.009
- Indesey C, Peter G, Clare C, David N, FIRMIN, "A Volume Selective 3D Turbo Spin Echo Sequence for Vessel Wall and Ompliance Measurement", J Magn Reson Imaging., Vol. 10, pp. 1, 2002.
- Benjamin W, Lowie M, Han W. K, Lubna B, Christoph J, Elizabeth J, Wolfgang G, Deneen Spatz1, Y. Y. Kim, Michele P, Raymond J, "Assessment and improvement of image homogeneity in black-blood T2-weighted turbo spin-echo CMR", J Cardiovasc Magn Reson., pp. 1-2, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186%2F1532-429X-14-S1-O113 https://doi.org/10.1186%2F1532-429X-14-S1-O113
- Meihan W, Christopher M, Craig H, "DANTE preparation for black-blood coronary wall imaging", J Cardiovasc Magn Reson., pp. 237, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1532-429x-15-s1-p237