- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Study on the motivation for renaming and the level of self-perception scale attained after renaming
개명의 동기와 개명 후 자기지각척도에 관한 연구
- Shin, Sang-Chun (Department of Education at Dongbang Graduate University) ;
- Cho, Sung-Je (Department of Education at Dongbang Graduate University)
- Received : 2013.08.08
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
The objective of this study is to examine the motivation for renaming and the self-perception scale attained after renaming. The survey was conducted targeting 161 individuals across the country from April 1 to May 31, 2013. The analyzing methods include frequency analysis, correlation analysis, t-test, one-way ANOVA analysis and stepwise regression analysis, etc. All of the empirical analysis was verified at the 5% level of significance. According to the result of analysis, the renamed individuals scored higher on the success scale, the emotional scale and the personality scale after renaming. The study found that the individuals, who adopted a new name as per their own desire, scored significantly higher on the self perception scale. The study will serve as a reference material for persons who desire a new name, based on its result that the greatest motivation for renaming is the "desire to have a good name" and that the biggest changes accompanying the new name are the self confidence and satisfaction which have helped the renamed individuals score higher on the self-perception scale after renaming.
Changing one's name;Name;Naming;Name letter effect;Renaming
- Bureau of Statistics Population Trends and Society, 2013.
- The Supreme Court, Monthly Statistics court (Non-Contentious lyrics: 2001-2012), 2012.12.
- Supreme Court precedents press release, "If bad intentions renamed principle approval(2005스26 Renamed decision)" 2005.11.24.
- S. B. Lee, "In the Bible study on naming and renaming". Anyang University Graduate School of Theology. Master's Thesis, 1997.
- J. H. Park. Name-Changes of the People in the Goryeo Dynasty. Dong Bang Hak Chi, Vol. 141. pp. 121-177. 2008. 3.
- H. J. Kim, "Adolescent' Early Friendship Formation and Name Attractiveness". Ewha Womans University Graduate school. Master's Thesis. 2003.
- Kalist, D. E., Lee, D. Y., First Names and Crime: Does Unpopularity Spell Trouble? Social Science Quarterly Mar 2009, Vol. 90 Issue 1, pp. 39-49. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6237.2009.00601.x
- Gebauerl, J. E., Leary, M. R., Neberich, W., Unfortunate First Names: Effects of Name-Based Relational Devaluation and Interpersonal Neglect. Social Psychological and Personality Science 3(5) pp. 590-596. 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1948550611431644 https://doi.org/10.1177/1948550611431644
- Nelson, L. D., Simmons, J. P., Moniker maladies: When names sabotage success. Psychological Science, 18, pp. 1106-1112. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2007.02032.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2007.02032.x
- Abel, E. L., Kruger, M. L., :Athletes, Doctors, and Lawyers with First Names Beginning with "D" Die Sooner, Death Studies, 34:1, pp. 71-81. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07481180903411885 https://doi.org/10.1080/07481180903411885
- S. K. Cho, A Note on renaming. Daejeon University Institute of Legal Culture Mastering of Law 4(2000.2). pp. 3-38.
- M. H. Yang. A Sociolinguistic Study on the name of Koeran and Korean's language attitudes toward the name. The Association for Korean Linguistics. Korean Linguistics 55, pp. 239-266. 2012. 5.
- S. M. Kwon, Some characteristics of depressed people in the structure and process of self-cognition. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.17-31. 1996.
- Y. C. Kim, Simsangga of 400 personality trait adjectives and the Hawthorne. Keimyung University. Journal of Social Sciences, 2, pp. 17-32. 1984.
- J. H. Kim, "Perceived stress, cognitive coping strategies, and depression sets in action". Seoul National University PhD thesis. 1987.
- S. I. Chae. Social science research methodology, p.25. Seoul: Beopmunsa, 1980.
- The Impact of Names upon the Stress and Self-esteem Before and After Renaming vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2662