- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Pygmalion Leadership on the Organizational Commitment and the Mediating Effect of Leader-Member Exchange among Hospital Employees
피그말리온 리더십이 병원 종사자의 조직몰입에 미치는 영향과 리더 - 구성원 교환관계의 매개효과
- Hong, Byoung Ho (Graduate School of Public Health, Inje University) ;
- Bae, Sung Yoon (Department of Management, Inje University) ;
- Kim, Misuk (Department of Medical Service Management, Dong-Pusan College)
- Received : 2013.07.19
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
This study attempted to examine the relationship between pygmalion leadership and the organizational commitment among hospital employees, and the mediating effect of the leader-member exchange (LMX) on their relationship. For this purpose, we designed structured self-response survey questionnaires, and collected data from 349 employees working at 9 hospitals and ambulatory clinics in Busan area. Frequency analysis, correlation analysis, factor analysis, and reliability analysis were performed using SPSS ver.18.0 program, and the path analysis was performed using AMOS ver.18.0 program. Major findings are as follows. First, some factors of pygmalion leadership were found to directly influence the quality of LMX, while some had both direct and indirect influences on organizational commitment. Second, the quality of LMX was found to partly mediate the relationship between pygmalion leadership and the organizational commitment in hospital organizations. This is the first in kind which was conducted in the hospital setting.
Hospital;LMX;Organizational Commitment;Pygmalion Leadership
- Y. B. Jeon, S. Y. Kim, "The influence of perceived trust on the employee's job satisfaction and turnover intention", Journal of Hotel Resort, 6(1): 37-53, 2007.
- G. C. Yu, W. S. Park, "Determinants and organizational effectiveness of performance- based human resource management", Korean Journal of Management, 15(3): 187-224, 2007.
- D. B. McNatt, "Ancient pygmalion joins contemporary management: a meta-analysis of the result", Journal of Applied Psychology, 85: 314-322, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.2.314 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.2.314
- M. H. Kim. Relation of the pygmalion leadership, LMX quality, emotional response, and job performances. pp.78-80, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Jeju University, 2009.
- R. C. Liden, S. J. Wayne, D. Stilwell, "A longitudinal study on the early development of leader-member exchanges", Journal of Management, 78: 662-674, 1993.
- S. J. Wayne, G. R. Ferris, "Influence tactics, affect, and exchange quality in supervisor- subordinate interactions: A laboratory experiment and field study", Journal of Applied Psychology, October, 75(5): 487-499, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.75.5.487
- D. Eden, "Consultant as a messiah: applying expectation effects in managerial consultation", Consultation, 9: 37-50, 1990.
- R. Rosenthal, "Interpersonal expectancy effects: A 30-year perspective", Current Directions in Psychological Science, 3: 176-179, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10770698 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10770698
- I. Y. Park. The effect of the hotel pygmalion leadership on LMX and the organization immersion. p.19, pp.61-62, p.83, pp.104-110, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyeonggi University, 2010.
- M. J. Harris, R. Rosenthal, "Mediation of interpersonal expectancy effects", Psychological Bulletin, 97(30): 363-386, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.97.3.363 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.97.3.363
- M. J. Jeong, C. J. Suh, J. S. Im, D. K. Oh, "A study on factors affecting profitability of general hospitals by bed-size", Korea International Accounting Review, 41: 265-292, 2012.
- D. Reynolds, "An exploratory investigation into behaviorally based success characteristics of food service managers", Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 44: 45-67, 2000.
- I. S. Oh, W. W. Seo, "The identification and measurement of pygmalion leadership behaviors in work organizations", Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 14(2): 43-71, 2001.
- J. C. Bae. The effects of the quality of leader-member exchange on information systems personnel's job attitude. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2005.
- F. Dansereau, G. Graen, W. J. Haga, "A vertical dyad linkage approach to leadership within formal organizations: A longitudinal investigation of the role making process", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 13: 46-78, 1975. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(75)90005-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(75)90005-7
- G. B. Graen, J. F. Cashman. "A role-making model of leadership in formal organizations: a developmental approach", in J. G. Hunt, L. L. Larson (Eds), Leadership frontiers. pp.143-165, Kent Sate University Press, 1975.
- R. M. Dienesch, R. C. Liden, "Leader-member exchange model of leadership: a critique and further development", Academy of Management Review, 11: 618-634, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/258314 https://doi.org/10.2307/258314
- B. M. Bass, "From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision", Organizational Dynamics, Winter, 18(3):19-31, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(90)90061-S
- S. I. Koh, "Job characteristics, performance- contingent rewards and job involvement: interaction effect of achievement orientation", Human Resource Development Research, 4(1): 2-24, 2002.
- D. I. Kwon, H. H. Park, "The moderating effects of knowledge management on the relationship between high-commitment HRM and organizational effectiveness; an exploratory study", Korean Journal of Management, 27(2): 1-30, 2003.
- R. T. Mowday, L. W. Porter, R. M. Steers. Employee-organization linkages: the psychology of commitment, absenteeism, and turnover. Academic Press, pp.124-132, 1982.
- R. T. Mowday, R. M. Steers, L. W. Porter, "The measurement of organizational commitment", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14: 224-227, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- J. E. Mathieu, D. Zajac, "A review and meta-analysis of the antecedents, correlates and consequences of organizational commitment", Psychological Bulletin, 108: 171-194, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.2.171 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.2.171
- N. J. Allen, J. P. Meyer, "The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment", Journal of Occupational Psychology: 252-276, 1990.
- T. B. Kim. Influence of leadership on organizational effectiveness of hospital employees. pp.56-60, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Inje University, 2006.
- S. M. Yeo. A study on the effects between the chairman's leadership of a local self-government and an organization immersion of the government servants. pp.13-14, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dongeui University, 2007.
- C. J. Lee, J. G. Yoon, "Test of a model on leadership and affects: charismatic, affective leadership, group affect and group effectiveness", Korean Journal of Management, 15(3): 1-51, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3740/MRSK.2007.17.1.001 https://doi.org/10.3740/MRSK.2007.17.1.001
- Y. J. Han. A study on the effect of relationship among transformational leadership, followership, leader member exchange (LMX), and organizational commitment. pp.93-98, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyunghee University, 2010.
- S. K. Hong. A study on the effect of leadership types on the organizational effectiveness: focusing on home appliances and IT service engineers. pp.130-144, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonbuk University, 2008.