- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Alternative Music - Ambiguity of Genre & Beat Generation
얼터너티브 음악 - 장르의 모호함과 비트 제너레이션
- Kim, Sung Soo (Dept. of Applied Music, Seoul Institute of Arts)
- 김성수 (서울예술대학 실용음악과)
- Received : 2013.08.22
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
Since genre of popular music began to classified, Alternative Music has been music form with most complex and diverse sub genre. This paper focused on mostly Alternative Rock, which began to attract attention since the 1990's, and analysed the cause for ambiguity of this genre. Therefore we can examine the inevitable limitation of traditional - based on musical form only - classification.
Alternative Rock;Beat Generation;Counter Culture;Genre Deconstruction;William Burroughs
- Steve Taylor, "The A to X of Alternative Music: The Beat Generation and the American Culture", p.128-130, Bloomsbury Academic, 2004.
- Steve Taylor, "The A to X of Alternative Music: The Beat Generation and the American Culture", p.165-167, Bloomsbury Academic, 2004.
- Alan Cros, "20th Century Rock& Roll: Alternative Rock", p.86, Collector's Guide Publishing Inc; 1st edition, 2000.
- Holly George-Warren, "The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and the American Culture", p.135-142, Hyperion; 1st edition, 1999.
- William Burroughs, "The Soft Machine", p.72, Grove Press Inc, 1991
- Charles R. Cross, "Heavier than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain", p.43, Hyperion, 2002.
- John W. Whitehead, "Grasping for the Wind", p. 160, Zondervan Publishing Company; 1st edition edit, 2001.
- Ray Manzarek, Light My Fire; My Life with Doors", p.43, Berkley Trade, 1999.
- Allen Ginsberg, "Beat Culture and the New America 1950-1965", Whitney Museum of American Art: 1st edition, 1996
- Bill Morgan, "The Type Writer is Holy : The Complete. Uncensored History of the Beat Generation", Atria Books: 1st Edition, 2010
- Anonymous, "Beat Generation", Wikipedia, 2013, Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_Generation (accessed July., 03, 13)
- Anonymous, "Alternative Rock", Wikipedia, 2013, Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_rock (accessed July., 03, 13)
- A Study on Arrangement through Avoid Note and Tension Note vol.13, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.349
- A Study of Individuality of Seung_Hwan Lee's Music Represents vol.13, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.409
- A Study on the Concept of Korean Indie Fashion vol.40, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.4.650