- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
On an Approach to Measuring the System Performance by Utilizing the Combined System Readiness Level and Achieved Technical Performance in Weapon Systems Development
무기체계개발에서 시스템 성숙도와 기술적 성능 달성도를 연계한 시스템 성능 측정 방법
- Kwon, Il-Ho (Information Planning Division, DAPA) ;
- Lee, Jae-Chon (Dept. of Systems Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2013.07.17
- Accepted : 2013.09.06
- Published : 2013.09.30
The recent studies indicated that the major sources of the failure in carrying out the programs of weapon systems development would be the unsatisfaction of the required key performance and also the use of premature technology. As such, to manage the risk during the weapon systems development, the use of the technical performance measurement (TPM) and the technology maturity assessment (TMA) turned out to be necessary. However, the TPM studied so far seems to cover the assessment of performance at the component level only, and thus is insufficient in considering the system integration effect. On the other hand, the system readiness level (SRL) method has been presented by reflecting the effect on system integration, but the system performance and maturity has not been considered. To overcome this, a measurement method is proposed in the paper by utilizing the combined system readiness level and achieved technical performance at the system level. This system performance measure can be useful in managing the risk in the weapon systems development.
- DAPA, DAPA Anweisung No. 188, Defense Acquisition Regulation, 2012. 7.
- Defense Acquisition University Press, Systems Engineering Fundamentals, DAU Press, Verginia 22060-5565, January, 2001.
- DAPA, EVM Instruction, Published rulings 87, 2012.10.
- DAPA, TRA Instruction, Instruction NO 2012-8, 2012. 4.
- Brian J. Sauser, Jose Ramirez-Marquez, Romulo Magnaye, Weiping Tan, "A Systems Approach to Expanding the Technology Readiness Level within Defense Acquisition", Stevens Institute of Technology, Mar. 2009.
- DAPA, On an Improved Method and Failure Case for Defense Research and Development, Korea Research Institute for Military Affairs, 2010. 8.
- Paul R. Garvey, Chien-Cing Cho, "An Index to Measure and Monitor a System-of-System' Performance Risk", the MITRE Corporation, MITRE Paper MP 04B0000050, December, 2004
- Brian Sauser, Jose Ramirez-Marquez, Dinesh Verma, Ryan Gove, "From TRL to SRL : The Concept of Systems Readiness Levels", Stevens Institute of Technology, 2006.
- Ryan Bove, Joe Uzdzinski, A Performance-Based System Maturity Assessment Framework, Lockheed Martin Corporate Engineering & Technology, 2121 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202, USA, March. 2013
- Garry J. Roedler, Cheryl Jones, "Technical Measurement", INCOSE, December. 2005.
- Joseph A. Fernandez, "Contextual Role of TRLs and MRLs in Technology Management" Sandia National Lab, California, SAND2010-7595, Nov. 2010.