- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Generalized evolutionary optimum design of fiber-reinforced tire belt structure
- Cho, J.R. (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, J.H. (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, K.W. (R&D Center of Kumho Tire Co. Ltd.) ;
- Lee, S.B. (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2012.11.04
- Accepted : 2013.10.01
- Published : 2013.10.25
This paper deals with the multi-objective optimization of tire reinforcement structures such as the tread belt and the carcass path. The multi-objective functions are defined in terms of the discrete-type design variables and approximated by artificial neutral network, and the sensitivity analyses of these functions are replaced with the iterative genetic evolution. The multi-objective optimization algorithm introduced in this paper is not only highly CPU-time-efficient but it can also be applicable to other multi-objective optimization problems in which the objective function, the design variables and the constraints are not continuous but discrete. Through the illustrative numerical experiments, the fiber-reinforced tire belt structure is optimally tailored. The proposed multi-objective optimization algorithm is not limited to the tire reinforcement structure, but it can be applicable to the generalized multi-objective structural optimization problems in various engineering applications.
fiber-reinforced composite structure;generalized evolutionary optimization;discrete-type multi-objective optimization;genetic algorithm;artificial neural network
- Abe, A., Kamegawa, T. and Nakajima, Y. (1996), "Optimum young's modulus distributions in tire design", Tire Sci. Technol., 24(3), 204-219. https://doi.org/10.2346/1.2137519
- Abe, A., Kamegawa, T. and Nakajima, Y. (2004), "Optimization of construction of tire reinforcement by genetic algorithm", Optim. Eng., 5(1), 77-92. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:OPTE.0000013636.82848.01
- Bathe, K.J. (1996), Finite Element Procedures, Prentive-Hall, New Jersey.
- Brunskill, A. and Lubitz, W.D. (2012), "A neural network shelter model for small wind turbine siting near single obstacles", Wind Struct. Int. J., 15(1), 43-64. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2012.15.1.043
- Cho, C.S., Choi, E.H., Cho, J.R. and Lim, O.K. (2011), "Topology and parameter optimization of a foaming jig reinforcement structure by the response surface method", Comput. Aided Des., 43(12), 1707-1716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2011.08.008
- Cho, J.R. and Park, H.J. (2003), "Effective volume-fraction optimization for thermal stress reduction in FGMs using irregular h-refinement", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng, 58(5), 749-770. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.799
- Cho, J.R., Jeong, H.S. and Yoo, W.S. (2002), "Multi-objective optimization of tire carcass contours using a systematic aspiration-level adjustment procedure", Comput. Mech., 29(6), 498-509. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-002-0359-2
- Cho, J.R., Shin, S.W. and Yoo, W.S. (2005), "Crown shape optimization for enhancing the tire wear performance by ANN", Comput. Struct., 83(12-13), 920-933. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.11.011
- Clark, S.K. (1982), Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires, Government Printing Office, Washington D.C.
- Danielson, K.T., Noor, A.K. and Green, J.S. (1996), "Computational strategies for tire modeling and analysis", Comput. Struct., 61(4), 673-693. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(96)00051-X
- Demkowicz, L., Oden, J.T., Rachowicz, W. and Hardy, D. (1989), "Toward a universal h-p adaptive finite element strategy, Part 1: Constrained approximation and data structure", Comput. Method. App. Mech. Eng., 77(1-2), 79-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(89)90129-1
- Gao, H.Y., Guo, X.L. and Hu, X.F. (2012), "Crack identification based on Kriging surrogate model", Struct. Eng. Mech. Int. J., 41(1), 25-41. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.1.025
- Goldberg, D.E. (1989), Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization & Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley.
- Govindaraj, V. and Ramasamy, J.V. (2005), "Optimum detailed design of reinforced concrete continuous beams using genetic algorithms", Comput. Struct., 84(1-2), 34-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2005.09.001
- Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen Inc. (2007), ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual, Ver. 6.7, Pawtucket.
- Hoffmeister, K. and Bernard, J. (1998), "Tread pitch arrangement optimization through the use of a genetic algorithm", Tire Sci. Technol., 26(1), 2-22. https://doi.org/10.2346/1.2135956
- Holland, J.H. (1975), Adaptation on Natural and Artificial Systems, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor.
- Huang, X. and Xie, Y.M. (2009), "Bi-directional evolutionary topology optimization of continuum structures with one or multiple materials", Comput. Mech., 43(3), 393-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-008-0312-0
- Kameshki, E.S. and Saka, M.P. (2007), "Optimum design of nonlinear braced domes using genetic algorithm", Comput. Struct., 85(1-2), 71-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2006.09.002
- Lindtner, E.K. and Tseng, N.T. (1992), "Finite element analysis of tread pattern model", Proceedings of Eleventh Annual Meeting Tire Society Conference, Akron, Ohio.
- Meschke, G.., Payer, H.J. and Mang, H.A. (1995), "3D simulations of automobile tires: material modeling, mesh generation, and solution strategies", Tire Sci. Technol., 25(3), 175-188.
- Nakajima, Y., Kadowaki, H., Kamegawa, T. and Ueno, K. (1992), "Application of a neural network for the optimization of tire design", Tire Sci. Technol., 27(2), 62-83.
- Nakajima, Y., Tamegawa, T. and Abe, A. (1996), "Theory of optimum tire contour and its application," Tire Sci. Technol., 24(3), 184-203. https://doi.org/10.2346/1.2137518
- Nakayama, H. and Furukawa, K. (1985), "Satisficing trade-off method with an application to multiobjective structural design", Large Scale Syst., 8, 47-57.
- Purdy, J.F. (1963), Mathematics Underlying Design of Pneumatic Tires, Edwards Brothers, Ann Arbor.
- Rahami, H., Kaveh, A. and Gholipour, Y. (2008), "Sizing, geometry and topology optimization of trusses via force method and genetic algorithm", Eng. Struct., 30(9), 2360-2369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.01.012
- Sarker, R., Mohammadian, M. and Yao, X. (2002), Evolutionary Optimization, Kluwer Academic Publishers Group, Massachusetts.
- Satyamurthy, K. and Hirschfelt, L.R. (1987), "An axisymmetric finite element and its use to examine the effects of construction variables on radial tire", Tire Sci. Technol., 15(2), 97-122. https://doi.org/10.2346/1.2148787
- Shiraishi, M., Yishinaga, H. and Miyori, A. (2000), "Simulation of dynamically rolling tire", Tire Sci. Technol., 28(4), 264-276. https://doi.org/10.2346/1.2136004
- Simpson, P.K. (1991), Artificial Neural Systems, Pergamon Press, New York.
- Smith, O.D. and Holland, J. (1987), "A study of permutation crossover operators on the traveling salesman problem", Proceedings of International Conference Genetic Algorithms, 224-230.
- An investigation into the mechanics of fiber reinforced composite disk springs vol.18, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.3.775