- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experimental research on sagging bending resistance of steel sheeting-styrofoam-concrete composite sandwich slabs
- Cao, P.Z. (College of Civil and Transportation Engineering, Hohai University) ;
- Lu, Y.F. (College of Civil and Transportation Engineering, Hohai University) ;
- Wu, Kai (College of Civil and Transportation Engineering, Hohai University)
- Received : 2012.03.01
- Accepted : 2013.08.01
- Published : 2013.10.25
A new-styrofoam-concrete composite sandwich slab with function of heat insulation is designed. Four full-scale simply supported composite sandwich slabs with different shear connectors are tested. Parameters under study are the thickness of the concrete, the height of profiled steel sheeting, the influence of shear connectors including the steel bars and self-drilling screws. Experimental results showing that four specimens mainly failed in bending failure mode; the shear connectors can limit the longitudinal slippery between the steel profiled sheeting and the concrete effectively and thus guarantee the good composite action and cooperative behavior of two materials. The ultimate sagging bending resistance can be determined based on plastic theory. This new composite sandwich slab has high sagging bending resistance and good ductility. Additionally, these test results help the design and application of this new type of composite sandwich slab.
composite sandwich slabs;re-entrant trough profiled steel sheeting;shear connectors;bending-bearing capacities;experimental research;bending failure
- EN 1994-1-2 (2003), Eurocode 4: Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures, Part 1.1 General Rules and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- JGJ55-2000 (2000), Specification for Mix Proportion Design of Ordinary Concrete, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing. [in Chinese]
- JGJ99-98 (1998), Technical Specification for Steel Structures of Tall Buildings, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing. [in Chinese]
- Johnson, R. and Buckby, R. (2004), Composite Structures of Steel and Concrete, (2nd Edition), Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK.
- Kim, H.Y. and Jeong, Y.J. (2010), "Ultimate strength of a steel-concrete composite bridge deck slab with profiled sheeting", Eng. Struct., 32(2), 534-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.10.014
- Maleki, S. and Bagheri, S. (2008a), "Behavior of channel shear connectors, Part I: Experimental study", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(12), 1333-1340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.010
- Maleki, S. and Bagheri, S. (2008b), "Behavior of channel shear connectors, Part II: Analytical study", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(12), 1341-1348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.006
- Maleki, S. and Mahoutian, M. (2009), "Experimental and analytical study on channel shear connectors in fiber-reinforced concrete", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(8-9), 1787-1793. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.04.008
- Porter, M. and Ekberg, Jr. C.E. (1976), "Design recommendations for steel deck floor slabs", J. Struc. Div., ASCE, 102(ST11), 2121-2136.
- Porter, M.L., Ekberg, Jr. C.E. and Greimann, L.F. and Elleby, H.A. (1976), "Shear-Bond analysis of steel-deck-reinforced slabs", J. Struc. Div., ASCE, 102(ST12), 2255-2268.
- Schuster, R.M. and Ekberg, Jr. C.E. (1970), "Commentary on the tentative recommendation of the design of cold-formed steel decking as reinforcement for concrete floor Slabs", Iowa University, Iowa, USA.
- Vianna, J.D.C., Costa-Neves, L.F. and Vellasco, P.C.G. (2008), "Structural behaviour of T-Perfobond shear connectors in composite girders: An experimental approach", Eng. Struct., 30(9), 2381-2391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.01.015
- Vianna, J.D.C., Costa-Neves, L.F., Vellasco, P.C.G. and de Andrade, S.A.L. (2009), "Experimental assessment of Perfobond and T-Perfobond shear connectors' structural response", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(2), 408-421. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.011
- Wang, X.T., Luo, G.Q. and Hao, J.P. (2011), "Study on the longitudinal shear behavior of closed profiled steel sheet concrete composite Slab", Xi'an University of Architecture & Technology, (Natural Science Edition), 43(03), 335-341. [In Chinese]
- Ahn, J.H., Lee, C.G. and Won, J.H. (2010), "Shear resistance of the perfobond-rib shear connector depending on concrete strength and rib arrangement", J. Constr. Steel Res., 66(10), 1295-1307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.04.008
- de Andrade, S.A.L., Vellasco, P.C.G.da.S., da Silva, J.G.S. and Takey, T.H. (2004), "Standardized composite slab systems for building constructions", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(3-5), 493-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00126-3