- Volume 22 Issue 3
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to describe hospital nurses' knowledge and beliefs about hand hygiene and to identify the relationships between knowledge and beliefs. Methods: Data were collected from 232 nurses working in four university hospitals and were analyzed using SPSS/WIN 20.0 program. Results: The mean score of knowledge of hand hygiene was 8.1. The mean scores of behavioral, normative, and control belief about hand hygiene were 2.3, 2.5, and -0.7, respectively. Knowledge was correlated with educational level (p=.013) and experience of hand hygiene campaign (p=.018). The behavioral belief was correlated with age (p<.001) and career (p=.002). The normative belief was correlated with work department (p=.007). The control belief was correlated with educational level (p=.043) and experience of being monitored on hand hygiene (p=.010). The subjects who believed that head nurses, charge nurses, and colleagues practiced better hand hygiene had higher behavioral and normative belief scores than those who did not. There were no significant relationships between knowledge and beliefs. Conclusion: There is a need to improve knowledge of hand hygiene in hospital nurses. This study provides information for developing strategies to strengthen beliefs about hand hygiene.
Hand hygiene;Knowledge;Belief;Infection control;Nurses
- Ajzen, I. (2005). Attitudes, personality, and behavior. New York: Open University Press.
- Allegranzi, B., & Pittet, D. (2009). Role of hand hygiene in healthcare- associated infection prevention. Journal of Hospital Infection, 73, 305-315. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2009.04.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2009.04.019
- Askarian, M., Memish, Z. A., & Khan, A. A. (2007). Knowledge, practice, and attitude among Iranian nurses, midwives and students regarding standard isolation precautions. Infection Control of Hospital Epidemiology, 28, 241-244. https://doi.org/10.1086/510868
- Backman, C., Zoutman, D. E., & Marck, P. B. (2008). An integrative review of the current evidence on the relationship between hand hygiene interventions and the incidence of health care-associated infections. American Journal of Infection Control, 36, 333-347. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j. ajic.2007.08.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.08.007
- Doron, S. I., Kifuji, K., Hynes, B. T., Dunlop, D., Lemon, T., Hansjosten, K., et al. (2011). A multifaceted approach to education, observation, and feedback in a successful hand hygiene campaign. Joint Commission on Journal of Quality and Patient Safety, 37, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1553-7250(11)37001-8
- Erasmus, V., Brauwer, W., van Beeck, E. F., Oenema, A., Daha, T. J., Richardus, J. H., et al. (2009). A qualitative exploration of reasons for poor hand hygiene among hospital workers: Lack of positive role models and of convincing evidence that hand hygiene prevents cross-infection. Infection Control of Hospital Epidemiology, 30, 415-419. http://dx.doi. org/10.1086/596773 https://doi.org/10.1086/596773
- Gardam, M. A., Lemieux, C., Reason, P., van Dijk, M., & Goel, V. (2009). Healthcare-associated infections as patient safety indicators. Healthcare Papers, 9 (3), 8-24.
- Gilomen, S., Ruef, C., Held, L., Cathomas, A., French, L. E., & Hafner, J. (2011). Successful control of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus outbreak at a university department of dermatology. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 25, 441-446. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2010.03810.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-3083.2010.03810.x
- Gould, D. J., Hewitt-Taylor, J., Drey, N. S., Gammon, J., Chudleigh, J., & Weinberg, J. R. (2007). The Clean Your Hands Campaign: Critiquing policy and evidence base. Journal of Hospital Infection, 65, 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2006.09.028
- Haley, R. W., Quade, D., Freeman, H. E., & Bennett, J. V. (1980). The SENIC project study on the efficacy of nosocomial infection control (SENIC Project): Summary of study design. American Journal of Epidemiology, 111 , 472-485. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112928
- Her, S., Kim, I. S., & Kim, K. H. (2008). Factors affecting on the level of practice on nosocomial infection management among operating room nurses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 20, 375-385.
- Hernandez-Castro, R., Arroyo-Escalante, S., Carrillo-Casas, E. M., Moncada-Barron, D., Alvarez-Verona, E., Hernandez-Delgado, L., et al. (2011). Outbreak of candida parapsilosis in a neonatal intensive care unit: A health care workers source. European Journal of Pediatrics, 169, 783-787. http://dx.doi. org/10.1007/s00431-009-1109-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-009-1109-7
- Kim, Y. H., Jeon, S. S., Jeong, I. S., Jang, C. H., Kim, J. H., & Her, J. A. (2003). The effect of handwashing improving program and MRSA carrier screening program on the MRSA infection rates in an intensive care unit. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, 33, 686-692. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.6.686
- Korean Society for Nosocomial Infection Control. (2011). Infection control and prevention in healthcare facilities . Seoul: Hanmibook.
- Kwon, G. J., Joo, M. S., & Kim, J. A. (2009). The impact of nursing professionalism on the nursing performance, job satisfaction and retention intension among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 15 , 182-192.
- Park, S. Y., Shin, D. S., Lee, H. G., & Kim, H. S. (2008). Compliance with nosocomial infection control and related factors among emergency room nurses. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 15, 153-160.
- Picheansathian, W., Pearson, A., & Suchaxaya, P. (2008). The effectiveness of a promotion program on hand hygiene compliance and nosocomial infections in a neonatal intensive care unit. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 14, 315-321. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2008.00699.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2008.00699.x
- Pittet, D. (2004). The Lowbury lecture: Behaviour in infection control. Journal of Hospital Infection, 58, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2004.06.002
- Rupp, M. E., Fitzgerald, T., Puumala, S., Anderson, J. R., Craig, R., Iwen, P. C., et al. (2008). Prospective, controlled, cross-over trial of alcohol-based hand gel in critical care units. Infec tion Control of Hospital Epidemiology, 29, 8-15. http://dx. doi.org/10.1086/524333 https://doi.org/10.1086/524333
- Sarginson, R. E., Taylor, N., Reilly, N., Baines, P. B., & Van Saene, H. K. (2004). Infection in prolonged pediatric critical illness: A prospective four-year study based on knowledge of the carrier state. Critical Care of Medicine, 32, 839-847. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000117319.17600.E8
- Sax, H., Uckay, I., Richet, H., Allegranzi, B., & Pittet, D. (2007). Determinants of good adherence to hand hygiene among healthcare workers who have extensive exposure to hand hygiene campaigns. Infection Control Hospital Epidemiology, 28, 1267-1274. https://doi.org/10.1086/521663
- Seo, J. Y. (2005). The impact of normative factors on the environmental behavior: Internalization process and social influence process. Research Psychology, 4, 91-122.
- Wandel, D. D., Maes, L., Labeau, S., Vereecken, C., & Blot, S. (2010). Behavioral determinants of hand hygiene compliance in intensive care unit. American Journal of Critical Care, 19, 230-240. http://dx.doi.org/10.4037/ajcc2010892 https://doi.org/10.4037/ajcc2010892
- Whitby, M., McLaws, M. L., & Ross, M. W. (2006). Why healthcare workers don't wash their hands: A behavioral explanation. Infection Control Hospital Epidemiology, 27 , 484-492. https://doi.org/10.1086/503335
- World Health Organization. (2009a). WHO guidelines for hand hygiene in health care. Geneva, Switzerland: Author.
- World Health Organization. (2009b). Hand hygiene knowledge questionnaire for health-care workers (revised August 2009) to assess knowledge on the essential aspects of hand hygiene. Retrieved August 1, 2010, from http://www.who. int/gpsc/5may/tools/evaluation_feedback/en/
- Yang, N. Y., & Choi, J. S. (2009). Influenza A (H1N1) regional hospital nurse's knowledge, awareness and practice of infection control. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 21, 593-602.
- Development and Implementation of an Education Program for Novice Infection Control Nurses vol.21, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14192/kjnic.2016.21.1.18
- The relationship among nursing student's knowledge, nursing skill and perceived performance of tracheostomy care vol.27, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.2.463
- A systematic review on hand hygiene knowledge and compliance in student nurses pp.00208132, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/inr.12410
- Knowledge, Perceptions, and Self-reported Performance of Hand Hygiene Among Registered Nurses at Community-based Hospitals in the Republic of Korea: A Cross-sectional Multi-center Study vol.51, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.17.188