- Volume 8 Issue 9
The first frame of a GOP, an I frame, is encoded in intra mode which generates a larger number of bits. In addition, the I frame is used for the inter mode encoding of the following frames. Thus the intial QP for the I frame affects the first frame as well as the following frames. In our previous work, we analyzed the number of bits for an I frame and showed that the ratio of the number of bits which maximizes the PSNR of a GOP maintains similar value regardless of GOP's. In this paper, we propose a R-Q model which can be used for the calculation of the initial QP given the amount of bits for an I frame. The proposed model is simple and adaptively modifies model parameters, so it can be applicable to the real-time application. It is shown by experimental results that the proposed model captures initial QP characteristics effectively and the proposed method for model parameters accurately estimates the real values.
- Z. Chen and K.N. Ngan, "Recent advances in rate control for video coding", Signal Process.: Image Commun., Vol. 22, pp. 19-38, Jan, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2006.11.002
- Y.J. Shin, N.R. Son, N.D. Toan, and G.S. Lee, "H.264/AVC to MPEG-2 Video Transcoding by using Motion Vector Clustering", The Journal of The Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 23-30, 2010.
- S.W. Kwak, H. Choi, and J.M. Yang, "A Real-time Video Transferring and Localization System in HSDPA Network", The Journal of The Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 21-26, 2012.
- S.H. Park, "Initial QP Modeling for GOP Layer Rate Control", The Journal of The Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 1377-1383, 2012.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, "Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., Vol. 7, pp. 688-703, Jul, 2003.
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjontegaard, and A. Luthra, "Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., Vol. 7, No. 7, pp. 1-19, 2003.
- K. Lim, G. Sullivan, and T. Wiegand, "Text Description of Joint Model Reference Encoding Methods and Decoding Concealment Methods", JVT-W057, San Jose, CA, Apr, 2007.
- H. Wang and S. Kwong, "Rate-Distortion Optimization of Rate Control for H.264 With Adaptive Initial Quantization Parameter Determination", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 140-144, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.913757
- S. Park, "GOP Level Rate-Control for Real-Time Video Transmission", International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 207-215, 2013.
- N. Kamaci, Y. Altunbasak, and R. M. Mersereau, "Frame bit allocation for the H.264/ AVC video coder via Cauchydensity- based rate and distortion models", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 994-1006, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2005.852400
- P.C. Young, "Recursive Estimation and Time-Series Analysis", Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, pp. 29-45, 2011.