- Volume 23 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Antibacterial Effect of Amentoflavone and Its Synergistic Effect with Antibiotics
- Hwang, Ji Hong (School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Choi, Hyemin (School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Woo, Eun-Rhan (College of Pharmacy, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Dong Gun (School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2013.02.21
- Accepted : 2013.04.08
- Published : 2013.07.28
Selaginella tamariscina is a traditional herb used in medicine. Phytochemical amentoflavone, a biflavonoid class of flavonoids, was isolated from the plant of Selaginella tamariscina. In this study, the antibacterial effects and combination effects of amentoflavone and conventional antibiotics such as ampicillin, cefotaxime, and chloramphenicol were investigated. These results showed that amentoflavone had a considerable antibacterial effect and synergistic interaction with antibiotics against various bacterial strains (fractional inhibitory concentration index
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Cui Y, Zhao Y, Tian Y, Zhang W, Lu X, Jiang X. 2012. The molecular mechanism of action of bactericidal gold nanoparticles on Escherichia coli. Biomaterials 33: 2327-2333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2011.11.057
- An J, Zuo GY, Haob XY, Wanga GC, Li ZS. 2011. Antibacterial and synergy of a flavanonol rhamnoside with antibiotics against clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Phytomedicine 18: 990-993. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2011.02.013
- CLSI. 2005. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. Wayne, PA.
- Cragg GM, Newman DJ. 2005. Biodiversity: A continuing source of novel drug leads. Pure Appl. Chem. 77: 7-24. https://doi.org/10.1351/pac200577010007
- Dixon RA. 2001. Natural products and plant disease resistance. Nature 411: 843-847. https://doi.org/10.1038/35081178
- Hwang I, Lee J, Jin HG, Woo ER, Lee DG. 2012. Amentoflavone stimulates mitochondrial dysfunction and induces apoptotic cell death in Candida albicans. Mycopathologia 173: 207-218. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11046-011-9503-x
- Eliopoulos GM, Moellering RC. 1991. Antimicrobial combinations, pp. 432-492. In Lorian V (ed.). Antibiotics in Laboratory Medicine. The Williams & Wilkins Co., Baltimore, MD.
- Fabricant DS, Farnsworth NR. 2001. The value of plants used in traditional medicine for drug discovery. Environ. Health Perspect. 109: 69-75.
- Gambhir SS, Goel RK, Das Gupta G. 1987. Anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcerogenic activity of ametoflavone. Indian J. Med. Res. 85: 689-693.
- Jung HJ, Sung WS, Yeo SH, Kim HS, Lee IS, Woo ER, Lee DG. 2006. Antifungal effect of ametoflavone derived from Selaginella tamariscina. Arch. Pharm. Res. 9: 746-751.
- Kamatou GPP, Van ZRL, Van VSF, Viljoen AM, Figueiredo AC, Barroso JG, et al. 2006. Chemical composition, leaf trichome types and biological activities of the essential oils of four related Salvia species indigenous to Southern Africa. J. Essent. Oil Res. 18: 72-79.
- Kohanski MA, Dwyer DJ, Hayete B, Lawrence CA, Collins JJ. 2007. A common mechanism of cellular death induced by bactericidal antibiotics. Cell 130: 797-810. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.06.049
- Lam KS. 2007. New aspects of natural products in drug discovery. Trends Microbiol. 15: 279-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tim.2007.04.001
- Lin LC, Kuo YC, Chou CJ. 2000. Cytotoxic biflavonoids from Selaginella deliccatula. J. Nat. Prod. 63: 627-630. https://doi.org/10.1021/np990538m
- NCCLS. 2003. Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically. CLSI, Wayne, PA.
- Simoes M, Lemos M, Simoes LC. 2012. Phytochemicals against drug-resistant microbes, pp. 185-205. In Patra AK (ed.). Dietary Phytochemicals and Microbes. Springer, Dordrecht.
- Odds FC. 2003. Synergy, antagonism, and what the checkerboard puts between them. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 52: 1. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkg301
- Pankey GA, Ashcraft DS. 2005. In vitro synergy of ciprofloxacin and gatifloxacin against ciprofloxacin-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 49: 2959-2964. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.49.7.2959-2964.2005
- Price M, Reiners JJ, Santiago AM, Kessel D. 2009. Monitoring singlet oxygen and hydroxyl radical formation with fluorescent probes during photodynamic therapy. Photochem. Photobiol. 85: 1177-1181. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2009.00555.x