- Volume 30 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Factors Affecting Energy Drink Consumption in College Students
대학생의 에너지드링크 섭취실태 및 영향 요인 분석
- Received : 2013.07.04
- Accepted : 2013.09.02
- Published : 2013.09.30
Objectives: The objective of this study was to investigate the patterns of energy drink consumption and associated factors in a group of college students in South Korea. Methods: Cross-sectional, self-report survey data were collected from 231 college students in November of 2012 and were analyzed by logistic regression. Results: Students consuming energy drinks accounted for 81.8% of the entire sample and 40.3% of the sample reported that they mixed with alcoholic drink. The most common reason for drinking an energy drink was "To stay awake", followed by "To relieve fatigue". In logistic regression analysis, statistically significant predictors of energy drink consumption was alcohol drinking behavior. Conclusions: Consumption of energy drinks has been quite common in college students. Awareness of college students regarding potential health effects of energy drinks, in particular, those of mixing alcoholic beverage, should be increased through health education.
College student;Energy drink;Affecting factors
- Brache, K., & Stockwell, T. (2011). Drinking patterns and risk behaviors associated with combined alcohol and energy drink consumption in college drinkers. Addictive Behaviors, 36, 1133-1140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2011.07.003
- Alford, C., Cox, H., & Wescott, R. (2001). The effects of Red Bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino acid, 21, 139-150. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007260170021
- Arria, A. M., Caldeira, K. M., Kasperski, S. J., Vincent, K. B., Griffiths, R. R., & O'Grady, K. E. (2011). Energy drink consumption and increased risk for alcohol dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 35(2), 365-375. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.2010.01352.x
- Attila, S., & Cakir, B. (2011). Energy-drink consumption in college students and associated factors. Nutrition, 27(3), 316-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2010.02.008
- Cohen, S., Kamarck, T., & Mermelstein, R. (1983). A global measure of perceived stress. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 24, 385-396. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136404
- Cohen, S., & Williamson, G. M. (1988). Perceived stress in a probability of the U.S. In S. Spacapam, & S. Oskamp (Eds.), The social psychology of health: Claremont symposium on applied social psychology (pp. 31-67). Newbury Park, CA:Sage
- Han, K. S. (2005). Self efficacy, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress among university students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(3), 585-592.
- Han, M. Y. (2012. February 19). Dose Energy drink really works? Health chosun. Retrieved from http://health.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/02/17/2012021701936.html
- IPAQ Research Committee (2005). Guidelines for data processing and analysis of the international physical activity questionnaire (IPAQ) - Short and long forms. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/site/theipaq/scoring-protocol.
- Kim, S. H. (2012). Survey report about high caffeinated beverage utilization of adolescents. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/ssuserf866d0/20120910-14367678
- Kim, S. Y. (2012, June 8). Fast-growing energy drink popular in the young people. Health Korea News. Retrieved October from http://www.hkn24.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=99976
- Kwak, H. K., Lee, M. Y., & Kim, M. J. (2011). Comparisons of body image perception, health related lifestyle and dietary behavior based on the self-rated health of university students in Seoul. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 16(6), 672-682. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.6.672
- Ko, H. J. (2012, December 19). Caution! Alcohol mixed with energy drink is Heart bomb. Retrieved from http://www.newdaily.co.kr/news/article.html?no=134773
- Lee, Y. M. (2012. August 24). Energy drink, Emerged as a new Blue Ocean. Nexteconomy. Retrieved from http://www.nexteconomy.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=6208
- Oh, J. Y., Yang, Y. J., Kim, B. S., & Kang, J. H. (2007). Validity and reliability of Korean version of International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) Short Form. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 28, 532-541.
- Malinauskas, B. M., Aeby, V. G., Overton, R. F., Carpenter-Aeby, T., & Barber-Heidal, K. (2007). A survey of energy drink consumption patterns among college students. Nutrition Journal, 6:35. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-6-35
- Miller, K. E. (2008) Energy drinks, race, and problem behaviors among college students. Journal of Adolescent Health, 43(5), 490-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2008.03.003
- O'Brien, M. C., McCoy, T. P., Rhodes, S. D., Wagoner, A., & Wolfson, M. (2008). Caffeinated cocktails: Energy drink consumption, high-risk drinking, and alcohol-related consequences among college students. Academic Emergency Medicine, 15(5), 453-460. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2008.00085.x
- Park, H. J. (2012. October 24). Is the 'Monster Energy' a lethal drink? Donga.com. Retrieved April 10, 2013, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20121024/50339356/1
- Park, C. M., Kim, Y. B., Okada, C., Han, C. H., Kim, H. H., & Jo, H. J. (2007). Survey of college health unit operating status and analysis (Report No. 2007-Consignment-70). Daegu, Korea: Keimyung University.Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development.
- Park, S., Onufrak, S., Blanck, H. M., & Sherry, B. (2013). Characteristics associated with consumption of sports and energy drinks among US adults: Bational Health Interview Survey, 2010. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(1), 112-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2012.09.019
- Pettit, M. L., & DeBarr, K. A. (2011). Perceived stress, energy drink consumption, and academic performance among college students. Journal of American College Health, 59(5), 335-341. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2010.510163
- Smit, H. J., Cotton, J. R., Hughes, S. C., & Rogers, P. J. (2004), Mood and cognitive performance effects of energy drink constituents: Caffeine, glucose and carbonation. Nutritional Neuroscience, 7(3), 127-139. https://doi.org/10.1080/10284150400003041
- Temple, J. L. (2009). Caffeine use in children: What we know, what we have left to learn, and why we should worry. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reveiws, 33(6), 793-806. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2009.01.001
- Wikipedia (2012). Energy drink. Retrieved from http://translate.google.co.kr/translate?hl=ko&sl=en&tl=ko&u=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEnergy_drink&anno=2
- Velazquez, C. E., Poulos, N. S., Latimer, L. A., & Pasch, K. E. (2012). Associations between energy drink consumption and alcohol use behaviors among college students. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 123(2012), 167-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2011.11.006
- Consumption Behaviors of Energy Drinks and Comparison of Associated Factors Among College Students in Gwangju vol.23, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2018.23.4.289
- Awareness and Consumption of Energy Drinks and Associated Factors among College Students in Cheongju vol.23, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2018.23.1.60