- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Maternal and grandmaternal obesity and environmental factors as determinants of daughter's obesity
- Shin, Mi Na (Department of Food and Nutrition, Pukyung National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung Hea (Department of Food and Nutrition, Changwon National University) ;
- Lee, Hye Sang (Department of Food and Nutrition, Andong National University) ;
- Sasaki, Satoshi (Department of Social and Preventive Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Tokyo) ;
- Oh, Hea Young (Translational Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lyu, Eun Soon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Pukyung National University) ;
- Kim, Mi Kyung (Translational Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, National Cancer Center)
- Received : 2013.04.02
- Accepted : 2013.08.09
- Published : 2013.10.01
Obesity may be the consequence of various environmental or genetic factors, which may be highly correlated with each other. We aimed to examine whether grandmaternal and maternal obesity and environmental risk factors are related to obesity in daughters. Daughters (n = 182) recruited from female students, their mothers (n = 147) and their grandmothers (n = 67) were included in this study. Multivariable logistic regression was used to analyze the association between the daughter's obesity and maternal, grandmaternal, and environmental factors. Maternal heights of 161-175cm (OD: 8.48, 95% CI: 3.61-19.93) and 156-160 cm (2.37, 1.14-4.91) showed positive associations with a higher height of daughter, compared to those of 149-155 cm. Mothers receiving a university or a higher education had a significant OR (3.82, 1.27-11.50) for a higher height of daughter compared to those having a low education (elementary school). Mother having the heaviest weight at current time (59-80 kg, 3.78, 1.73-8.28) and the heaviest weight at 20 years of age (51-65 kg, 3.17, 1.53-6.55) had significant associations with a higher height of daughters, compared to those having the lightest weight at the same times. There was no association between the height, weight, and BMI of daughters and the characteristics and education of her grandmothers. In conclusion, although genetic factors appear to influence the daughter's height more than environmental factors, the daughter's weight appears to be more strongly associated with individual factors than the genetic factors.
Supported by : National Cancer Center
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2010: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-1). Cheongwon: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2011.
- Barness LA, Opitz JM, Gilbert-Barness E. Obesity: genetic, molecular, and environmental aspects. Am J Med Genet A 2007; 143A:3016-34. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.32035
- Kleiser C, Schaffrath Rosario A, Mensink GB, Prinz-Langenohl R, Kurth BM. Potential determinants of obesity among children and adolescents in Germany: results from the cross-sectional KiGGS study. BMC Public Health 2009;9:46. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-9-46
- Andegiorgish AK, Wang J, Zhang X, Liu X, Zhu H. Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and associated risk factors among school children and adolescents in Tianjin, China. Eur J Pediatr 2012; 171:697-703. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-011-1636-x
- Johnson PC, Logue J, McConnachie A, Abu-Rmeileh NM, Hart C, Upton MN, Lean M, Sattar N, Watt G. Intergenerational change and familial aggregation of body mass index. Eur J Epidemiol 2012;27:53-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-011-9639-5
- Whitaker RC, Wright JA, Pepe MS, Seidel KD, Dietz WH. Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 1997;337:869-73. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199709253371301
- Perez-Pastor EM, Metcalf BS, Hosking J, Jeffery AN, Voss LD, Wilkin TJ. Assortative weight gain in mother-daughter and father-son pairs: an emerging source of childhood obesity. Longitudinal study of trios (EarlyBird 43). Int J Obes (Lond) 2009;33:727-35. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2009.76
- Sekine M, Yamagami T, Hamanishi S, Handa K, Saito T, Nanri S, Kawaminami K, Tokui N, Yoshida K, Kagamimori S. Parental obesity, lifestyle factors and obesity in preschool children: results of the Toyama birth cohort study. J Epidemiol 2002;12:33-9. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.12.33
- Li L, Law C, Lo Conte R, Power C. Intergenerational influences on childhood body mass index: the effect of parental body mass index trajectories. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:551-7. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26759
- Danielzik S, Czerwinski-Mast M, Langnäse K, Dilba B, Müller MJ. Parental overweight, socioeconomic status and high birth weight are the major determinants of overweight and obesity in 5-7 y-old children: baseline data of the Kiel Obesity Prevention Study (KOPS). Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28:1494-502. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802756
- Steffen LM, Dai S, Fulton JE, Labarthe DR. Overweight in children and adolescents associated with TV viewing and parental weight: project heartbeat! Am J Prev Med 2009;37:S50-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.04.017
- Safer DL, Agras WS, Bryson S, Hammer LD. Early body mass index and other anthropometric relationships between parents and children. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2001;25:1532-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801786
- Maddah M, Nikooyeh B. Factors associated with overweight in children in Rasht, Iran: gender, maternal education, skipping breakfast and parental obesity. Public Health Nutr 2010;13: 196-200. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980009990589
- Svensson V, Jacobsson JA, Fredriksson R, Danielsson P, Sobko T, Schiöth HB, Marcus C. Associations between severity of obesity in childhood and adolescence, obesity onset and parental BMI: a longitudinal cohort study. Int J Obes (Lond) 2011;35: 46-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2010.189
- Cooper R, Hyppönen E, Berry D, Power C. Associations between parental and offspring adiposity up to midlife: the contribution of adult lifestyle factors in the 1958 British birth cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;92:946-53. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2010.29477
- Pena MM, Taveras EM. Preventing childhood obesity: wake up, it's time for sleep! J Clin Sleep Med 2011;7:343-4.
- Hui LL, Nelson EA, Yu LM, Li AM, Fok TF. Risk factors for childhood overweight in 6- to 7-y-old Hong Kong children. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2003;27:1411-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802423
- Poston L. Maternal obesity, gestational weight gain and diet as determinants of offspring long term health. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;26:627-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beem.2012.03.010
- Murrin CM, Kelly GE, Tremblay RE, Kelleher CC. Body mass index and height over three generations: evidence from the lifeways cross-generational cohort study. BMC Public Health 2012;12:81. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-81
- Davis MM, McGonagle K, Schoeni RF, Stafford F. Grandparental and parental obesity influences on childhood overweight: implications for primary care practice. J Am Board Fam Med 2008;21:549-54. https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2008.06.070140
- Patel R, Martin RM, Kramer MS, Oken E, Bogdanovich N, Matush L, Smith GD, Lawlor DA. Familial associations of adiposity: findings from a cross-sectional study of 12,181 parental-offspring trios from Belarus. PLoS One 2011;6:e14607. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0014607
- Danielzik S, Langnäse K, Mast M, Spethmann C, Müller MJ. Impact of parental BMI on the manifestation of overweight 5-7 year old children. Eur J Nutr 2002;41:132-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-002-0367-1
- Davey Smith G, Steer C, Leary S, Ness A. Is there an intrauterine influence on obesity? Evidence from parent child associations in the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC). Arch Dis Child 2007;92:876-80. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2006.104869
- Whitaker KL, Jarvis MJ, Beeken RJ, Boniface D, Wardle J. Comparing maternal and paternal intergenerational transmission of obesity risk in a large population-based sample. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91:1560-7. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2009.28838
- Lawlor DA, Timpson NJ, Harbord RM, Leary S, Ness A, McCarthy MI, Frayling TM, Hattersley AT, Smith GD. Exploring the developmental overnutrition hypothesis using parental-offspring associations and FTO as an instrumental variable. PLoS Med 2008;5:e33. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0050033
- Lawlor DA, Smith GD, O'Callaghan M, Alati R, Mamun AA, Williams GM, Najman JM. Epidemiologic evidence for the fetal overnutrition hypothesis: findings from the mater-university study of pregnancy and its outcomes. Am J Epidemiol 2007;165: 418-24.
- Lumey LH, Stein AD. Offspring birth weights after maternal intrauterine undernutrition: a comparison within sibships. Am J Epidemiol 1997;146:810-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a009198
- Emanuel I, Filakti H, Alberman E, Evans SJ. Intergenerational studies of human birthweight from the 1958 birth cohort. 1. Evidence for a multigenerational effect. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1992;99:67-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1992.tb14396.x
- Hyppönen E, Smith GD, Power C. Effects of grandmothers' smoking in pregnancy on birth weight: intergenerational cohort study. BMJ 2003;327:898. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.327.7420.898
- Guillaume M, Lapidus L, Beckers F, Lambert A, Björntorp P. Familial trends of obesity through three generations: the Belgian-Luxembourg child study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1995;19 Suppl 3:S5-9.
- Gnavi R, Spagnoli TD, Galotto C, Pugliese E, Carta A, Cesari L. Socioeconomic status, overweight and obesity in prepuberal children: a study in an area of Northern Italy. Eur J Epidemiol 2000;16:797-803. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007645703292
- Greenlund KJ, Liu K, Dyer AR, Kiefe CI, Burke GL, Yunis C. Body mass index in young adults: associations with parental body size and education in the CARDIA study. Am J Public Health 1996;86:480-5. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.86.4.480
- Ball K, Mishra GD. Whose socioeconomic status influences a woman's obesity risk: her mother's, her father's, or her own? Int J Epidemiol 2006;35:131-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyi216
- Saunders MR, Watson KT, Tak HJ. Social factors in childhood and adulthood associated with adult obesity in African American and white women. ISRN Public Health 2012;2012:10.
- Thibault H, Contrand B, Saubusse E, Baine M, Maurice-Tison S. Risk factors for overweight and obesity in French adolescents: physical activity, sedentary behavior and parental characteristics. Nutrition 2010;26:192-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2009.03.015
- Laitinen J, Power C, Järvelin MR. Family social class, maternal body mass index, childhood body mass index, and age at menarche as predictors of adult obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;74:287-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/74.3.287
- Everson SA, Maty SC, Lynch JW, Kaplan GA. Epidemiologic evidence for the relation between socioeconomic status and depression, obesity, and diabetes. J Psychosom Res 2002;53: 891-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(02)00303-3
- Lynch JW, Kaplan GA, Salonen JT. Why do poor people behave poorly? Variation in adult health behaviours and psychosocial characteristics by stages of the socioeconomic lifecourse. Soc Sci Med 1997;44:809-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(96)00191-8
- Kang HT, Ju YS, Park KH, Kwon YJ, Im HJ, Paek DM, Lee HJ. Study on the relationship between childhood obesity and various determinants, including socioeconomic factors, in an urban area. J Prev Med Public Health 2006;39:371-8.
- Vioque J, Torres A, Quiles J. Time spent watching television, sleep duration and obesity in adults living in Valencia, Spain. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000;24:1683-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801434
- Currie C, Ahluwalia N, Godeau E, Nic Gabhainn S, Due P, Currie DB. Is obesity at individual and national level associated with lower age at menarche? Evidence from 34 countries in the health behaviour in school-aged children study. J Adolesc Health 2012;50:621-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.10.254
- Frieden TR, Dietz W, Collins J. Reducing childhood obesity through policy change: acting now to prevent obesity. Health Aff (Millwood) 2010;29:357-63. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0039
- World Health Organization; International Association for the Study of Obesity; International Obesity Task Force. The Asia- Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and its Treatment. Balmain: Health Communications Australia Pty Ltd.; 2000. p.18.
- Kivimäki M, Lawlor DA, Smith GD, Elovainio M, Jokela M, Keltikangas-Järvinen L, Viikari JS, Raitakari OT. Substantial intergenerational increases in body mass index are not explained by the fetal overnutrition hypothesis: the cardiovascular risk in young Finns study. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86:1509-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/86.5.1509
- Drewnowski A, Darmon N. The economics of obesity: dietary energy density and energy cost. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;82:265S- 273S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/82.1.265S
- Scheen AJ, Byrne MM, Plat L, Leproult R, Van Cauter E. Relationships between sleep quality and glucose regulation in normal humans. Am J Physiol 1996;271:E261-70.
- Spiegel K, Leproult R, Van Cauter E. Impact of sleep debt on metabolic and endocrine function. Lancet 1999;354:1435-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)01376-8
- Tokmakidis SP, Christodoulos AD, Mantzouranis NI. Validity of self-reported anthropometric values used to assess body mass index and estimate obesity in Greek school children. J Adolesc Health 2007;40:305-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2006.10.001
- Goodman E, Hinden BR, Khandelwal S. Accuracy of teen and parental reports of obesity and body mass index. Pediatrics 2000; 106:52-8. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.106.1.52