- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Proposed Revision of Standard on Articles for Forklift Trucks in Manufacturing Industries
제조업에서 지게차에 대한 안전보건 기준에 관한 규칙 개정 방안
- Shin, Woonchul (Department of Safety Research, Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute, KOSHA) ;
- Rhee, Hongsuk (Department of Safety Research, Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute, KOSHA) ;
- Park, Jai Hak (Department of Safety Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2013.03.30
- Accepted : 2013.08.08
- Published : 2013.08.31
A forklift truck, commonly used for transporting heavy materials in manufacturing industries, etc., is a useful machine. However accidents occur frequently during the operation of the machine. In order to prevent accidents it is necessary to examine the current safety regulations on a forklift truck. Because the regulations have not revised for a long time, they do not reflect the rapidly changing environment of industries. Proposed revision of standard on articles for forklift trucks was presented after analysing the causes of occurred injuries, comparing domestic standards with international standards and examining the survey results. We analyzed the safety regulation articles and the injuries according to the type of work conducted with forklift. The major differences in safety regulations between Korea and the major foreign countries were investigated. The opinions of field workers on the safety regulations were surveyed using e-mail or interview. As a result, it was found that preventing workers from contacting with the forklift is very important. To prevent accident due to movement of a stopped forklift, actions are necessary to prevent slip of a forklift. Also supervision is required to make workers fasten safety belt and to prohibit workers from using a forklift for undesignated purpose.
- Status of Construction Machinery, Ministry of Land Transport and Maritime Affairs, 2010.
- W. C. Shin, et. al., "A Study on Comparing with International Safety Standards of Unloading Machine with the Vehicles", Occupational Safety & Health Research Institute, pp. 109, 2012.
- B. D. Lifschultz et. al, "Deaths due to Forklift Truck Accidents", Forensic Science International 65, pp. 121-134, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(94)90267-4
- T. J. Larsson et. al, "Forklift Trucks-Analysis of Severe and Fatal Occupational Injuries, Critical Incidents and Priorities for Prevention", Safety Science 17, pp. 275-289, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-7535(94)90029-9
- Rules on Occupational Safety and Health Standards Article, Ministry of Employment and Labor, pp. 171-183, 2012.
- Y. K. Park, "A Study on the Analysis and Prevention of Industrial Accidents for Forklift", MyungJi University, pp. 91- 92, 2003.
- D. S. Park, "A Study on the Safety Management and Countermeasures for Transport Machines", Occupational Safety & Health Research Institute, pp. 19-22, 2004.
- Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 17 May 2006 on Machinery, 2006.
- Male GE. Safety of Industrial Lift Trucks, A Survey of Investigated Accidents and Incidents [April 1997 to March 2001]. SHE SIR 60, 2003.
- "Reports of Incident of Industrial Accidents", Korea Workers' Compensation & Welfare Service, 2009-2011.
- "Powered Industrial Trucks", Occupational Safety and Health Standards, (1910.178), OSHA.
- "Safety Standard for Low Lift and High Lift Trucks", ANSI/ITSDF B56.1-2005.
- Labor Safety and Sanitation Rules, Ministry of Safety and Health Labor in Japanese, 2011.
- The Occupational Safety and Health System and Disaster Prevention Activities in UK, Occupational Safety & Health Research Institute, 2008.
- "Occupational Safety and Health Act", Ministry of Employment and Labor, 2012.
- "Rules on Construction Machinery Safety Standards", Ministry of Construction & Transportation, 2011.
- Survey Data of Work Environment, Occupational Safety & Health Research Institute, 2009.