- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Strain Measurement for Al 6061-T6 Tensile Specimen using the Digital Image Correlation
디지털 이미지 상관관계를 이용한 Al 6061-T6 인장시험편의 변형률 측정에 관한 연구
- Kwon, Oh Heon (Department of Safety Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Sang Tae (Swelock Asia CO. Ltd.) ;
- Kang, Ji Woong (Faculty of Health Science, Daegu Haany University)
- Received : 2013.03.25
- Accepted : 2013.07.22
- Published : 2013.08.31
A digital image correlation(DIC) method is a whole-field measurement technique that acquires surface displacements and strains from images information which characterized a random speckle as intensity grey levels. Recently years, this DIC method is being developed and used increasingly in various research. In this study, we tried to apply to aluminum alloy(Al 6061-T6) using DIC method and strain gauge. DIC results demonstrated the usefulness and ability to determine a strain. The test specimen used in this study was an aluminum alloy(Al 6061-T6, thickness 1 mm). For a strain measurement, a strain gauge was attached at the center of a specimen. A specimen was lightly sprayed with a white paint and a black dot pattern was sprayed on its fully dried white surface to obtain a random speckle. The experimental apparatus used to perform the tensile test consisted of universal dynamic tester(5 kN; T.O. Co.) under displacement speed of 0.5, 1.0 and 3.0 mm/min. A Model 5100 B Scanner(V. Co.) used to obtain a strain. A CCD camera connected to a PC uses to record the images of the specimen surface. After acquisition, the images were transferred to PC where the DIC software was implemented. An acquired image was evaluated by the DIC program. DIC method for displacement and strain was suggests and it results show a good consistent remarkably. DIC results demonstrated the usefulness and ability to determine surface strain was better than by using classical measurements. The strain field measurement using a DIC is so useful that it can be applied to map strain distributions at a full area. DIC method can evaluate a strain change so it can predict a location of fracture. The findings of the investigation suggest that the DIC method is an efficient and reliable tool for full-field monitoring and detailed damage characterization of materials.
- J. S. Hwang, "Photoelasticity Experimental Method of the Composite Stress Analysis", Journal of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 276-292, 1991.
- S. U. Yoon, K. Suk, S. H. Jo and K. S. Kang, "Non-destructive Reliability Evaluation of Electronic Device by ESPI", Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 21, pp. 630-633. 2001.
- W. H. Peters, W. F. Ranson, M. A. Sutton, T. C. Chu and J. Anderson, "Application of Digital Image Methods to Rigid Body Mechanics", Opt. Eng, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 738-742, 1983.
- M. A. Sutton, W. J. Woltwr, W. H. Peters, W. F. Ranson and S. R. McNeil, "Determination of Displacement using an Improved Digital Image Correlation Method", Image vision Computer, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 133-139, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0262-8856(83)90064-1
- O. D. Almeida, F. Lagattu and J. Brillaud, "Analysis by a 3D DIC Technique of Volumetric Deformation Gradients: Application to Polypropylene/EPR/talc Composites", Composites : Part A(applied science and manufacturing) Vol. 39, pp. 1210-1217, 2007.
- D. Jeffrey, R. Helm Stephen, A. McVeill Michael and M. A. Sutton, "Improved Three-dimensional Image Correlation for Surface Displacement Measurement", Opt. Eng. Vol. 35, No. 7, pp. 1911-1920, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.600624
- T. A. Berfield, J. K. Patel, R. G. Shimmin, P. V Braun, J. Lambros and N. R. Sottos, "Micro- and Nanoscale Deformation Measurement of Surface and Internal Planes via Digital Image Correlation", Socity for Experimental Mechanics, 2007.
- W. H. Peter and W. F. Panson, "Digital Image Techniques on Experimental Stress Analysis", Opt. Eng. Vol. 21, 1982.
- M. A. Sutton, W. H. Wolter, W. F. Panson and S. R. McNeill, "Determination of Displacements using an Improved Digital Image Correlation Method", Image Vision Computer, 1983.
- M. A. Sutton, J. H. Yan, V. Tiwari, H. W. Schreier and J. J. Orteu, "The Effect of Out-of-plane Motion on 2D and 3D Digital Image Correlation Measurement", Optics and Lasers in Engineering Vol. 46 , pp. 746-757, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2008.05.005
- E. Verhulp, B. van Rietbergen and R. Huiskes, "A Threedimensional Digital Image Correlation Technique for Strain Measurements in Microstructures", Journal of Biomechanics Vol. 37, pp. 1313-1320, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2003.12.036
- R. Ambu, F. Aymerich and F. Bertolino, "Investigation of the Effect of Damage on the Strength of Notched Composite Laminates by Digital Image Correlation", J. Strain Analysis Vol. 40, No. 5, 2005.
- A. B. Jorge and L. B. John, "Investigation of Crack Growth in Functionally Graded Materials using Digital Image Correlation", Engineering Fracture Mechancs Vol. 69, pp. 1695-1711, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(02)00058-9
- M. A. Sutton, M. Q. Cheng, W. H. Peters, Y. J. Chao and S. R. McNeill, Application of an Optimized Digital Correlation Method to Planar Deformation Analysis, Butterworth & Co. (Publishers) Ltd, 1986.
- J. D. Helm, "Digital Image Correlation for Specimens with Multiple Growing Cracks", Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2007.
- Study on the Measurement of Flexural Strain Using the Digital Image Correlation in the Three-Point Bending Test vol.23, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2014.23.5.498
- Study on the Improvement of the Image Analysis Speed in the Digital Image Correlation Measurement System for the 3-Point Bend Test vol.18, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2014.18.5.523
- Study on the Development of the Digital Image Correlation Measurements Program for Measuring the 3-Point Bending Test vol.31, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.10.889