- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Fatigue Crack Growth Rates of a Railway Wheel Steel under Mixed Mode Loading Conditions
혼합모드 하중조건에서의 철도 차륜재의 피로균열 실험에 관한 연구
- Kim, Taek-Young (Graduate School of Department of Automotive Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Man-Suk (Graduate School of Railroad, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- You, In-Dong (Graduate School of Department of Automotive Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Ho-Kyung (Department of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 김택영 (서울과학기술대학교 자동차공학과 대학원) ;
- 이만석 (서울과학기술대학교 철도전문대학원) ;
- 유인동 (서울과학기술대학교 자동차공학과 대학원) ;
- 김호경 (서울과학기술대학교 기계.자동차공학과)
- Received : 2013.01.05
- Accepted : 2013.07.18
- Published : 2013.08.31
Fatigue crack growth tests were conducted on urban railway wheel steel under mode I and mixed-mode conditions. Fatigue crack growth rates were evaluated in terms of equivalent stress intensity factor ranges, using both the extended and projected crack lengths. The equivalent stress intensity factor range with the growth rate results obtained under mode I loading conditions can be used to predict the crack growth rate under mixed-mode loading conditions. Extended crack length rather than projected crack length is appropriate for the prediction of the crack growth rate under the mixed-mode loading conditions.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- J. W. Kannel and J. L. Tevaarwerk, "Subsurface Stress Evaluations Under Rolling/Sliding Contacts", J. Tribol. Vol. 106, pp. 96-103, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3260873
- O. Orringer, W. R. Paxton, D. E. Gray and P. K. Raj, "Residual Stress and Its Consequences on Both Sides of the Wheel-Rail Interface", Wear, Vol. 191, pp. 25-34, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(95)06674-8
- M.. Sraml, J. Flasker and I. Potrc, "Numerical Procedure for Predicting the Rolling Contact Fatigue Crack Initiation", Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 25, pp. 585-595, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(03)00019-7
- L. P. Borrego, F. V. Antunes, J. M. Costa and J. M. Ferreira, "Mixed-Mode Fatigue Crack Growth Behaviour in Aluminium Alloy", Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 28, pp. 618-626, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2005.07.047
- J. Qian and A. Fatemi, "Multiaxial Fatigue of an Induction Hardened Shaft", AE-28, T. Cordes and K Lease(Ed), SAE, pp. 165-174, 1999.
- H. A. Richard, "Some Theoretical and Experimental Aspects of Mixed Mode Fractures", Advances in Fracture Research (Fracture 84), Vol. 5, pp. 3337-3344, 1986.
- K. Tanaka, "Fatigue Crack Propagation from a Crack Inclined to the Cyclic Tensile Axis", Eng. Fracture Mech., Vol. 6, pp. 493-507, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(74)90007-1
- J. Qian and A. Fatemi, "Mixed Mode Fatigue Crack Growth: A Literature Survey", Eng. Frac. Mech., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 969-990, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(96)00071-9
- M. Sander and H. A. Richard, "Experimental and Numerical Investigations on the Influence of the Loading Direction on the Fatigue Crack Growth", Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 28, pp. 583-591, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2005.05.012
- J. H. Bulloch, "The Influence of Mean Stress or R-Ratio on the Fatigue Crack Threshold Characteristics of Steel- A Review", Int. J. Pres. Ves. & Piping, Vol. 47 pp. 263-292, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-0161(91)90032-W
- Y. Liu, L. Liu and S. Mahadevan, "Analysis of Subsurface Crack Propagation Under Rolling Contact Loading in Railroad Wheels Using FEM", Eng. Frac. Mech., Vol. 74, pp. 659-674, 2007.