- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study of Detecting Broken Rail using the Real-time Monitoring System
실시간 모니터링을 통한 레일절손 검지에 관한 연구
- Kim, Tae Geon (Department of Rolling Stock System Engineering, Graduate School of Railroad, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Eom, Beom Gyu (Department of Rolling Stock System Engineering, Graduate School of Railroad, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Hi Sung (Department of Rolling Stock System Engineering, Graduate School of Railroad, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 김태건 (서울과학기술대학교 철도전문대학원 철도차량시스템공학과) ;
- 엄범규 (서울과학기술대학교 철도전문대학원 철도차량시스템공학과) ;
- 이희성 (서울과학기술대학교 철도전문대학원 철도차량시스템공학과)
- Received : 2012.12.04
- Accepted : 2013.08.14
- Published : 2013.08.31
Train accidents can be directly connected to fatal accidents-collision, derailment, Fire, railway crossing accidents-resulting in tremendous human casualties. First of all, the railway derailment is not only related to most of railway accidents but also it can lead to much more catastrophic accompanying train overtured than other factors. Therefore, it is most important factor to ensure railway safety. some foreign countries have applied to the detector machines(e.g., ultrasonic detector car, sleep mode, current detector, optical sensing, optical fiber). Since it was developed in order to prevent train from being derailed. In korea, the existing track method has been used to monitor rail condition using track circuit. However, we found out it impossible for Communication Based Train Control system(CBTC), recent technology to detect rail condition using balise(data transmission devices) without no track circuit. For this reason, it is needed instantly to develop real-time monitoring system used to detect broken rails. Firstly, this paper presents domestic and international statues analysis of rail breaks technology. Secondly, the composition and the characteristics of the real-time monitoring system. Finally, the evidence that this system could assumed the location and type of broken rails was proved by the experiment of prototype and operation line tests. We concluded that this system can detect rail break section in which error span exist within
- S. Y. Lee, "A Study of Broken Rail Status Evlauation and Analysis", Korail, 2008.
- Handbook of Rail Signal Term, 2004. 12.
- S. Y. Lee, "The Domestic Broken Rail Status and Overseas Broken Rail Detection System", Korea Railroad Research, Vol. 19, pp. 76-79, 2008.
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation, "Track Maintenance in Structions", pp. 133-152, 2005.
- UIC 712R, 2004.
- B. T. Son, "Optical Communication Engineering", 2000.
- Joseph C.Palais, "Fiber Optic Communications", pp. 291-319, 2006.
- B. S. Kang, "A Study on 3D Evaluation and Reduction Method for Vibration of Track-Roadbed due to Railway Load", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 39-48, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.1.39
- S. H. Lee, M. H. Shin, H. K. Kim and K. W. Lee, "Development of FBG Accelerometer for Railway Tunnel Vibration", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 364-369, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.4.364
- S. C. Yang and S. Y. Jang, "Investigation of the Maintenance Criteria for the Rail Surface Defects in High-Speed Railways", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 535-544, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.6.535
- I. Y. Choi, J. H. Um and M. C. Kim, "Analysis of the Influence of Track Alignment on Ride Comfort and Safety of KTX", Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 110-116, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.2.110