- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Safety Leadership of Manager and Safety Climate in the Organization on the Workers' Safety Behaviors
관리자의 안전 리더십과 조직 내 안전 분위기가 근로자의 안전행동에 미치는 효과
- Moon, Kwangsu (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Lee, Jaehee (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Oah, Shezeen (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2013.01.02
- Accepted : 2013.04.08
- Published : 2013.04.30
This study examined the influence of safety leadership of manager and safety climate of the organization on the workers' safety behavior. Especially, this study examined a mediating effect of safety climate on the relationship between safety leadership and safety behaviors. 219 workers were asked to respond to the questionnaires that measured various demographic variables, safety climate, safety leadership and safety behaviors. A hierarchical regression was conducted to identify variables that had significant relationships with safety behaviors and to examine the mediating effect of safety climate. Results indicated that the safety leadership significantly predicted both safety compliance and participation behavior. It was found that the safety climate was also a significant predictor for both safety compliance and participation behavior. In addition, safety climate had a mediating effect on the relationship between safety leadership and safety compliance and participation behavior. Based on these results, the implications of this study and suggestions for future research were discussed.
safety climate;safety leadership;safety behavior;industrial safety
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Korea Occupational Safety & Health Agency, "Analysis of Industrial Accident in 2010", 2011.
- K. S. Moon, K. H., Lee, J. H. Lee and S. Oah, "The Effect of Behavior Based Safety(BBS) Program on Safety Climate and Safety Behavior: A Field Study", Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 349-372, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.25.2.201205.349
- H. W. Heinrich, D. Peterson, and N. Roos, "Industrial Accident Prevention", New York: McGraw-Hill, 1980.
- T. E. McSween, "The Values-based Safety Process: Improving Your Safety Culture with a Behavioral Approach.(2nd)", New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 2003.
- T. C. Wu, S. H. Chang, C. M. Shu, C. T. Chen and C. P Wang, "Safety Leadership and Safety Performance in Petrochemical Industries: The Mediating Role of Safety Climate", Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp 716-721, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2011.04.007
- A. O'Dea and R., Flin, "The Role of Managerial Leadership in Determining Work-place Safety Outcome", Suffolk: HSE Books, 2003.
- S. G. Clarke, "Safety Culture: Underspecified and Overrated", International Journal of Management Review, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 65- 90, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2370.00031
- D. Zohar, "A Group-level Model of Safety Climate: Testing the Effects of Group Climate on Micro Accidents in Manufacturing Jobs", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 85, pp. 587- 596, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.4.587
- J. Eid, K. Mearns, G. Larsson, J. C. Laberg and B. H. Johnsen, "Leadership, Psychological Capital and Safety Research: Conceptual Issues and Future Research Questions", Safety Science, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 55-61, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2011.07.001
- D. Petersen, "Leadership & Safety Excellence: A Positive Culture Drives Performance", Professional Safety, Vol. 49, No. 10, pp. 728-732, 2004.
- D. Zohar, "Modifying Supervisory Practices to Improve Subunit Safety: A Leadership-based Intervention Model", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 87, No. 1, pp. 156-163, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.1.156
- B. Sulzer-Azaroff, C. Fox, S. M. Moss and J. M. Davis, "Feedback and Safety: Involving Workers", Unpublished manuscript, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1987.
- B. Sulzer-Azaroff and D. Fellner, "Searching for Performance Targets in the Behavioral Analysis of Occupational Health and Safety: An Assessment Strategy", Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 53-65, 1984.
- H. O. Jeong, "A Study on the Relation between the Leadership Types in Construction Sites and Industrial Disasters", Master's Thesis, Kyeong-Hee University, 2001.
- S. H. Hong and S. H. Lee, "Strategies to Promote Supervisor's Leadership for Preventing Accidents in Construction Projects", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 63-69, 2006.
- E. Blair, "Culture & Leadership: Seven Key Points for Improved Safety Performance" Professional Safety, Vol. 48 No. 6, pp. 18-22, 2003.
- R. A. Carrillo. "Safety Leadership Formula: Trust Credibility Competence Results", Professional Safety, Vol. 47 No. 3, pp. 741- 747, 2002.
- D. Cooper, "Improving Safety Culture: A Practical Guide", England: John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- S. Clarke and K. Ward, "The Role of Leader Influence Tactics and Safety Climate in Engaging Employees' Safety Participation", Risk Analysis, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1175-1185, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.2006.00824.x
- D. M. DeJoy, B. S Schaffer, M. G. Wilson, R. J. Vandenberg and M. M. Butts, "Creating Safer Work-places: Assessing the Role and Determinants of Safety Climate", Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 35, pp. 81-90, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2003.09.018
- S. A. Felknor, L. A. Aday, K. D. Burau, G. L. Delclos and A. S. Kanpadia, "Safety Climate and its Association with Injuries and Safety Practices in Public Hospitals in Costarica", International Journal of Occupational and Envionmental Health, Vol. 6, pp. 18-25, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1179/oeh.2000.6.1.18
- O. Siu., D. R. Phillips and T. Leung, "Safety Climate and Safety Performance among Construction Workers in Hong Kong: The Role of Psychological Strains as Mediators", Accident Analysis and Prevention, pp. 359-366, 2004.
- K. S. Kim and Y. S. Park, "The Effects of Safety Climate on Safety Behavior and Accident", Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 15. No. 1, pp. 19-39, 2002.
- K. S. Moon, J. H. Lee and S. Oah, "The Effect of Organizational Commitment on Safety Behaviors: Moderating Effects of Safety Climate", Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2011.
- K. Y. Ahn and R. G. Park, "The Relationship between Safety Climate and Safety Participation in Construction Industry, Journal of th Korea Safety Management and Science", Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 41-53, 2006.
- J. H. Lee, K. S. Moon and S. Oah, "The Effects of Stress Response on Safety Behavior: Moderating Effect of Safety Climate", Journal of th Korea Safety Management and Science, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 31-39.
- D. A. Wiegmann, H. Zhang, T. Von Thaden, G. Sharma and A. M. Gibbos, "Safety Culture: An Integrative Review", International Journal of Aviation Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 117- 134, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327108ijap1402_1
- J. L. Komaki, "Emergence of the Operant Model of Effective Supervision. or How an Operant Vonditioner got Hooked on Leadership", Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 27-32, 1994.
- J. L. Komaki, "Leadership from an Operant Perspective", London: Routledge. 1998.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "The Moderator- Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic and Statistical Consideration", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- M. A. Griffin and A. Neal, "Perceptions of Safety at Work : A framework for Linking Safety Climate to Safety Performance, Knowledge, and Motivation", Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 347-358, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8922.214.171.1247
- T. C. Wu, "The Validity and Reliability of Safety Leadership Scale in Universities of Taiwan", International Journal of Technology and Engineering Education, Vol 2, No 1, pp. 27-42, 2005.
- T. C. Wu, C. H. Chen and C. C. Li, "A Correlation among Safety Leadership, Safety Climate and Safety Performance" Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 307-318, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2007.11.001
- D. Zohar and G. Luria, "Climate as a Social-cognitive construction of Supervisory Safety Practices: Scripts as Proxy of Behavior Patterns", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 89, No. 2, pp. 322-333.
- C. Lu and C. Yang, "Safety Leadership and Safety Behavior in Container Terminal Operations." Safety Science, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 123-134, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2009.05.003
- Human resource factors associated with workplace safety and health education of small manufacturing businesses in Korea vol.60, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.17-0173-OA