- Volume 12 Issue 3_4
The smart sensor technology has opened new horizons for assessing and monitoring structural health of civil infrastructure. Smart sensor's unique features such as onboard computation, wireless communication, and cost effectiveness can enable a dense network of sensors that is essential for accurate assessment of structural health in large-scale civil structures. While most research efforts to date have been focused on realizing wireless smart sensor networks (WSSN) on bridge structures, relatively less attention is paid to applying this technology to buildings. This paper presents a decentralized damage detection using the WSSN for building structures. An existing flexibility-based damage detection method is extended to be used in the decentralized computing environment offered by the WSSN and implemented on MEMSIC's Imote2 smart sensor platform. Numerical simulation and laboratory experiment are conducted to validate the WSSN for decentralized damage detection of building structures.
damage detection;decentralized data processing;wireless smart sensor network;smart sensor
- Cho, S., Lynch, J.P., Lee, J.J. and Yun, C.B. (2010), "Development of an automated wireless tension force estimation system for cable-stayed bridges", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str., 21, 361-376. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X09350719
- Design, S. SD1221 Manual. Available online: http://www.silicondesigns.com/pdfs/1221.pdf
- Gao, Y., Spencer Jr., B.F. and Ruiz-Sandoval, M. (2005), "Distributed computing strategy for structural health monitoring", Struct. Health Monit., 43(1), 488-507.
- Hackmann, G., Sun, F., Castaneda, N., Lu, C. and Dyke, S. (2012), "A holistic approach to decentralized structural damage localization using wireless sensor networks", Comput Commun., 36(1), 29-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2012.01.010
- Ho, D.D., Lee, P.Y., Nguyen, K.D., Hong, D.S., Lee, S.Y., Kim, J.T. and Shinozuka, M. (2012), "Solar-powered multi-scale sensor node on lmote 2 platform for hybrid SHM in cable-stayed bridge", Smart Struct. Syst., 9(2), 145-164. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.9.2.145
- Juang, J.N. and Pappa, R.S. (1985), "An eigensystem realization algorithm for modal parameter identification and model reduction", J. Guid. Contr. Dynam., 8(5), 620-627. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20031
- Jang, S., Sim, S.H., Jo, H. and Spencer, Jr., B.F. (2012), "Full-scale experimental validation of decentralized damage identification using wireless smart sensors," Smart Mater. Struct., 21(11), 115019. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/21/11/115019
- Jo, H., Sim, S.H., Nagayama, T. and Spencer Jr, B. (2011), "Development and application of high sensitivity wireless smart sensors for decentralized stochastic modal identification", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 138(6), 683-694.
- Koo, K., Sung, S. and Jung, H. (2011), "Damage quantification of shear buildings using deflections obtained by modal flexibility", Smart Mater. Struct, 20, 045010. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/20/4/045010
- Kurata, N., Spencer, B.F. and Ruiz-Sandoval, M. (2005), "Risk monitoring of buildings with wireless sensor networks", Struct. Health Monit., 12(3-4), 315-327. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.73
- Ling, Q., Tian, Z., Yin, Y. and Li, Y. (2009), "Localized structural health monitoring using energy-efficient wireless sensor networks", IEEE Sens. J., 9(11), 1596-1604. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2009.2019318
- Lynch, J.P., Sundararajan, A., Law, K.H., Kiremidjian, A.S., Carryer, E., Sohn, H. and Farrar, C.R. (2003), "Field validation of a wireless structural health monitoring system on the Alamosa Canyon Bridge", Proc. of the SPIE, 5057, 267-278
- Lynch J.P., Sundararajan A., Law K.H., Kiremidjian A.S. and Carryer E. (2004), "Embedding damage detection algorithms in a wireless sensing unit for operational power efficiency", Smart Mater. Struct., 13(4) 800-810 https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/13/4/018
- Nagayama, T. and Spencer Jr., B.F. (2007), Structural health monitoring using smart sensors, Newmark Structural Engineering Laboratory (NSEL) Report Series, No. 1, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois.
- Park, J.H., Hong, D.S., Kim, J.T., Koo, K.Y., Yun, C.B. and Park, G. (2008), "Wireless sensing and embedded monitoring algorithm for damage diagnosis in PSC girders", Adv. Sci. Technol., 56, 420-425. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AST.56.420
- Rice, J.A. and Spencer, Jr., B.F. (2009), Flexible smart sensor framework for autonomous full-scale structural health monitoring, Newmark Structural Engineering Laboratory (NSEL) Report Series, No. 18, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois.
- Sim, S., Spencer Jr. B., Zhang, M., Xie, H. (2010), "Automated decentralized modal analysis using smart sensors", Struct. Health Monit., 17(8), 872-894. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.348
- STMicroelectronics LIS344ALH manual. Available online: http://www.st.com/internet/analog/product/207281.jsp
- Zimmerman, A.T., Shiraishi, M., Swartz, R.A. and Lynch, J.P. (2008), "Automated modal parameter estimation by parallel processing within wireless monitoring systems", J. Infrastruct. Syst., 14(1), 102-113. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(2008)14:1(102)
- Zimmerman, A.T. and Lynch, J.P. (2009), "A parallel simulated annealing architecture for model updating in wireless sensor networks", IEEE Sens. J., 9(11), 1503-1510. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2009.2019323
- An Analytical Study on System Identification of Steel Beam Structure for Buildings based on Modified Genetic Algorithm vol.27, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.399
- Simplified Derivation of a Damage Curve for Seismically Induced Beam Fractures in Steel Moment-Resisting Frames vol.142, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.399
- Decentralized System Identification Using Stochastic Subspace Identification for Wireless Sensor Networks vol.15, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.399
- Dynamic displacements-based model updating with motion capture system vol.24, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.399
- Fast Warning Method for Rigid Hangers in a High-Speed Railway Arch Bridge Using Long-Term Monitoring Data vol.31, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.399
- A two-stage and two-step algorithm for the identification of structural damage and unknown excitations: numerical and experimental studies vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.399
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea