- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Roof tile frangibility and puncture of metal window shutters
- Laboy-Rodriguez, Sylvia T. (Department of Civil and Coastal Engineering, University of Florida) ;
- Smith, Daniel (Department of Civil and Coastal Engineering, University of Florida) ;
- Gurley, Kurtis R. (Department of Civil and Coastal Engineering, University of Florida) ;
- Masters, Forrest J. (Department of Civil and Coastal Engineering, University of Florida)
- Received : 2012.05.04
- Accepted : 2012.10.21
- Published : 2013.08.25
The goal of this study was to investigate the vulnerability of roof tile systems and metal shutters to roof tile debris. Three phases addressed the performance of tile roof systems and metal shutters impacted by roof tile debris. The first phase experimentally evaluated the tile fragment size and quantity generated by a tile striking a tile roof system. The second phase experimentally quantified the puncture vulnerability of common metal panel shutter systems as a function of tile fragment impact speed. The third phase provided context for interpretation of the experimental results through the use of a tile trajectory model. The results provide supporting evidence that while metal panel window shutters provide significant protection against a prevalent form of windborne debris, these systems are vulnerable to tile fragment puncture in design level tropical cyclones. These findings correlate with field observations made after Hurricane Charley (2004).
- ASCE 7-10 (2010), Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia.
- Baker, C.J. (2007), "The debris flight equations", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95, 329-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.08.001
- Beason, W.L. (1974), Breakage characteristics of window glass subjected to small missile impacts, Thesis, Civil Engineering Department, Texas Tech University.
- Fernandez, G., Masters, F.J. and Gurley, K.R. (2010), "Performance of hurricane shutters under impact by roof tiles", Eng. Struct., 32(10), 3384-3393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.07.012
- Gurley, K. and Masters, F. (2011), "Post 2004 hurricane field survey of residential building performance", Nat. Hazard. Rev., 12(4), 177-183. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000044
- Harris, R.I. and Deaves, D.M. (1981), "The structure of strong winds", Proceedings of the CIRIA Conference on Wind Engineering in the Eighties, CIRIA, London.
- Holmes, J.D. and Mullins, P.J. (2001), "The mechanics of flying debris and test criteria", Proceedings of the 5th Asia- Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, Kyoto, Japan, October 21-24.
- Holmes, J.D. (2004), "Trajectories of spheres in strong winds with application to windborne debris", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 92, 9-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2003.09.031
- Holmes, J.D., Letchford, C.W. and Lin, N. (2006), "Investigations of plate-type windborne debris - Part II: computed trajectories", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94, 21-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2005.10.002
- Holmes, J.D. (2007), Wind loading of structures, 2nd Ed., Taylor & Francis, New York, NY.
- Kordi, B. and Kopp, G.A. (2009a), "Evaluation of quasi-steady theory applied to windborne flat plates in uniform flow", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 135, 657-668. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000008
- Kordi, B. and Kopp, G.A. (2009b), "The debris flight equations by CJ Baker", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 97, 151-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.10.001
- Kordi, B., Traczuk, G. and Kopp, G.A. (2010), "Effects of wind direction on the flight trajectories of roof sheathing panels under high winds", Wind Struct., 13(2), 145-167. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.2.145
- Kordi, B. and Kopp, G.A. (2011), "Effects of initial conditions on the flight of windborne plate debris", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99, 601-614. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.02.009
- Lin, N., Letchford, C.W. and Holmes, J.D. (2006), "Investigations of plate-type windborne debris. Part I. Experiments in wind tunnel and full scale", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(2), 51-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2005.12.005
- Lin, N. and Vanmarcke, E. (2008), "Windborne debris risk assessment", Prob. Eng. Mech., 23 (4), 523-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2008.01.010
- Lin, N. and Vanmarcke, E. (2010a), "Windborne debris risk analysis - Part I. Introduction and methodology", Wind Struct., 13(2), 191-206. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.2.191
- Lin, N. and Vanmarcke, E. (2010b), "Windborne debris risk analysis - Part II. Application to structural vulnerability modelling", Wind Struct., 13(2), 207-220. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.2.207
- Masters, F.J., Gurley, K.R., Shah, N. and Fernandez, G. (2010), "The vulnerability of residential window glass to lightweight windborne debris", Eng. Struct., 32(4), 911-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.12.016
- Meloy, N., Sen, R., Pai, N. and Mullins, G. (2007), "Roof damage in new homes caused by Hurricane Charley", J. Perform. Constr. Fac., 21(2), 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3828(2007)21:2(97)
- Minor, J. (1994), " Windborne debris and building envelope", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod00., 53(1-2), 207-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)90027-2
- Minor, J. (2005), "Lessons learned from failures of the building envelope in windstorms", J. Archit. Eng.- ASCE, 11(1), 10-13. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0431(2005)11:1(10)
- Richards, P.J., Williams, N., Laing, B., McCarty, M. and Pond, M. (2008), "Numerical calculation of the three-dimensional motion of wind-borne debris", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96, 2188-2202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2008.02.060
- Scarabino, A. and Giacopinelli, P. (2010), "Analysis of the two dimensional sheet debris flight equations: initial and final state", Wind Struct., 13(2), 109-125. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2010.13.2.109
- Shinozuka, M. and Deodatis, G. (1991), "Simulation of stochastic processes by spectral representation", Appl. Mech. Rev., 44(4), 191-204. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3119501
- Simiu, E., Vickery, P. and Kareem, A. (2007), "Relation between Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale wind speeds and peak 3-s gust speeds over open terrain", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 133(7), 1043 - 1045. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:7(1043)
- Tachikawa, M. (1983), "Trajectories of flat plates in uniform flow with application to wind-generated missiles", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 14, 443-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(83)90045-4
- Tachikawa, M. (1988), "A method for estimating the distribution range of trajectories of wind-borne missiles", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 29(1-3), 175-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(88)90156-0
- Visscher, B.T. and Kopp, G.A. (2007), "Trajectories of roof sheathing panels under high winds", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95, 697-713. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.01.003
- Von Karman, T. (1948), "Progress in the statistical theory of turbulence", P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 34, 530-539. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.34.11.530
- Wang, K. (2003), Flying debris behavior, Thesis, Civil Engineering Department, Texas Tech University.
- Wills, J.A.B., Lee, B.E. and Wyatt, T.A. (2002), "A model of windborne debris damage", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(4-5), 555-565. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00197-0
- Yau Siu, C., Lin, N. and Vanmarcke,E. (2011), "Hurricane damage and loss estimation using an integrated vulnerability model", Nat. Hazard. Rev., 12(4),184-189. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000035
- Investigating a wind tunnel method for determining wind-induced loads on roofing tiles vol.155, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.05.006
- Large-Scale Experimentation Using the 12-Fan Wall of Wind to Assess and Mitigate Hurricane Wind and Rain Impacts on Buildings and Infrastructure Systems vol.143, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001785
- Experimental fragility curves for aluminum storm panels subject to windborne debris impact vol.134, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.08.010