- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characterization of open and suburban boundary layer wind turbulence in 2008 Hurricane Ike
- Jung, S. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Florida A&M University-Florida State University College of Engineering) ;
- Masters, F.J. (Department of Civil and Coastal Engineering, University of Florida)
- Received : 2012.03.28
- Accepted : 2012.10.03
- Published : 2013.08.25
The majority of experiments to characterize the turbulence in the surface layer have been performed in flat, open expanses. In order to characterize the turbulence in built-up terrain, two mobile towers were deployed during Hurricane Ike (2008) in close proximity, but downwind of different terrain conditions: suburban and open. Due to the significant non-stationarity of the data primarily caused by changes in wind direction, empirical mode decomposition was employed to de-trend the signal. Analysis of the data showed that the along-wind mean turbulence intensity of the suburban terrain was 37% higher than that of the open terrain. For the mean vertical turbulence intensity, the increase for the suburban terrain was as high as 74%, which may have important implications in structural engineering. The gust factor of the suburban terrain was also 16% higher than that of the open terrain. Compared to non-hurricane spectral models, the obtained spectra showed significantly higher energy in low frequencies especially for the open terrain.
- Andreas, E.L., Geiger, C.A., Trevino, G. and Claffey, K.J. (2008), "Identifying nonstationarity in turbulence series", Bound. - Lay. Meteorol., 127(1), 37-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-007-9252-z
- ASCE 7-10 (2010), Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- Baas, P., Bosveld, F.C., Klein Baltink, H. and Holtslag, A.A.M. (2009), "A climatology of nocturnal low-level jets at Cabauw", J. Appl. Meteorol. Clim., 48(8), 1627-1642. https://doi.org/10.1175/2009JAMC1965.1
- Balderrama, J.A., Masters, F.J., Gurley, K.R., Prevatt, D.O., Aponte-Bermúdez, L.D., Reinhold, T.A., Pinelli, J.P., Subramanian, C.S., Schiff, S.D. and Chowdhury, A.G. (2011), "The Florida Coastal Monitoring Program (FCMP): a review", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 99(9), 979-995. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.07.002
- Bendat, J.S. and Piersol, A.G. (1986), Random data: analysis and measurement procedures, Wiley, New York.
- Brown, D.P., Beven, J.L., Franklin, J.L. and Blake, E.S. (2010), "Atlantic hurricane season of 2008", Mon. Weather. Rev., 138(5), 1975-2001. https://doi.org/10.1175/2009MWR3174.1
- Caracoglia, L. and Jones, N.P. (2009), "Analysis of full-scale wind and pressure measurements on a low-rise building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 97(5-6), 157-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2009.06.001
- Chen, J. and Xu, Y.L. (2004), "On modelling of typhoon-induced non-stationary wind speed for tall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 13(2), 145-163. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.247
- Chen, J., Hui, M.C.H. and Xu, Y.L. (2007), "A comparative study of stationary and non-stationary wind models using field measurements", Bound.- Lay. Meteorol., 122(1), 105-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-006-9085-1
- Counihan, J. (1975), "Adiabatic atmospheric boundary layers: a review and analysis of data from the period 1880-1972", Atmos. Environ., 9(10), 871-905. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(75)90088-8
- Dyrbye, C. and Hansen, S.O. (1997), Wind loads on structures, Wiley, New York.
- ESDU (1983), "Strong winds in the atmospheric boundary layer, part 2: discrete gust speeds", Item No. 83045.
- Geurts, C.P.W. (1997), Wind-induced pressure fluctuations on building facades, doctoral thesis, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven.
- Harris, R.I. and Deaves, D.M. (1981), The structure of strong winds,
- Huang, N.E. (2005), Hilbert-huang transform and its applications, World Scientific, New Jersey.
- Huang, N.E., Shen, Z., Long, S.R., Wu, M.C., Shih, H.H., Zheng, Q., Yen, N., Tung, C.C. and Liu, H.H. (1998), "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis", Proceedings of the Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 454(1971), 903-995. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1998.0193
- Ishizaki, H. (1983), "Wind profiles, turbulence intensities and gust factors for design in typhoon-prone regions", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 13(1-3), 55-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(83)90128-9
- Izumi, Y. (1971), "Kansas 1968 field program data report", AFCRL-TR-72-0041.
- Izumi, Y. and Caughey, J.S. (1976), "Minnesota 1973 atmospheric boundary layer experiment data report", AFCRL-TR-76-0038.
- Kaimal, J.C., Wyngaard, J.C., Izumi, Y. and Cote, O.R. (1972), "Spectral characteristics of surface-layer turbulence", Q. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 98(417), 563-589. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.49709841707
- Krayer, W.R. and Marshall, R.D. (1992), "Gust factors applied to hurricane winds", B. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 73(5), 613-618. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1992)073<0613:GFATHW>2.0.CO;2
- Lettau, H.H. and Davidson, B. (1957), Exploring the atmosphere's first mile, Pergamon Press, New York, NY.
- Li, Q.S., Zhi, L. and Hu, F. (2009), "Field monitoring of boundary layer wind characteristics in urban area", Wind Struct., 12(6), 553-574. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2009.12.6.553
- Li, L., Xiao, Y., Kareem, A., Song, L. and Qin, P. (2012), "Modeling typhoon wind power spectra near sea surface based on measurements in the South China sea", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 104-106, 565-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2012.04.005
- Lilliefors, H.W. (1967), "On the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test for normality with mean and variance unknown", J. Am. Stat. Assoc., 62(318), 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1967.10482916
- Masters, F.J., Vickery, P.J., Bacon, P. and Rappaport, E.N. (2010). "Toward objective, standardized intensity estimates from surface wind speed observations", B. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 91, 1665-1682. https://doi.org/10.1175/2010BAMS2942.1
- Masters, F.J., Tieleman, H.W. and Balderrama, J.A. (2010), "Surface wind measurements in three Gulf Coast hurricanes of 2005", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 98(10-11), 533-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2010.04.003
- Schroeder, J.L. and Smith, D.A. (2003), "Hurricane Bonnie wind flow characteristics as determined from WEMITE", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(6), 767-789. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00475-0
- Taylor, P.A. and Teunissen, H.W. (1987), "The Askervein Hill project: overview and background data", Bound.- Lay. Meteorol., 39(1-2), 15-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00121863
- Tieleman, H.W. (1995), "Universality of velocity spectra", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 56(1), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00011-2
- Vickery, P.J. and Skerlj, P.F. (2005), "Hurricane gust factors revisited", J. Struct. Eng., 131(5), 825-832. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:5(825)
- Welch, P. (1967), "The use of fast Fourier transform for the estimation of power spectra: a method based on time averaging over short, modified periodograms", IEEE T. Audio Electr., 5(2), 70-73.
- Wieringa, J. (1973), "Gust factors over open water and built-up country", Bound.- Lay. Meteorol., 3(4), 424-441. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01034986
- Xu, Y.L. and Chen, J. (2004), "Characterizing nonstationary wind speed using empirical mode decomposition", J. Struct. Eng., 130(6), 912-920. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:6(912)
- Yu, B., Chowdhury, A.G. and Masters, F. (2008), "Hurricane wind power spectra, cospectra, and integral length scales", Bound.- Lay. Meteorol., 129(3), 411-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-008-9316-8
- Along-Wind Response of High-Rise Buildings Subjected to Hurricane Boundary Layer Winds vol.143, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001816
- Buffeting response analysis of offshore wind turbines subjected to hurricanes vol.141, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2017.06.005
- Along-wind buffeting responses of wind turbines subjected to hurricanes considering unsteady aerodynamics of the tower vol.138, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.02.023
- Surface pressure distribution on patterned cylinders under simulated atmospheric boundary layer winds vol.27, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1404