- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Children's Mental Health in Multicultural Family and North Korean Defectors in South Korea
다문화 및 북한이탈주민 가정 자녀의 정신건강
- Lee, So Hee (Department of Psychiatry, National Medical Center) ;
- Lee, Sun Hea (Ewha Brain Institute & College of Pharmacy, Ewha University)
- Received : 2012.08.20
- Accepted : 2013.09.04
- Published : 2013.09.30
South Korea is changing into a multi-cultural society, due to an increase in international marriage, foreign workers and transcultural immigration. In addition, the number of North Korean defectors entering South Korea has increased and now, there are approximately 25000. Therefore, this review have focused on a research that pertains to adaptation and mental health concerns of their children. Children who have immigrated themselves or whose parents have immigrated, might experience language barriers, difficulties in school adjustment, identity confusion and mental health problems. However, their academic performance and developmental status are known to be variable and be affected by socioeconomic status and their parents' educational level. Studies that evaluated the psychological problems of North Korean adolescent refugees' indicated the need for interests in both emotional and behavioral problems. The risk factors of North Korean adolescent refugees' mental health are suggested to be past traumatic experiences, long duration of defection and short period of adaptation. When mental health professionals provide assessment and treatment, they should consider the pre- and post-migration experiences & cultural background that affect the illness behaviors and attitudes toward mental illnesses. Lastly, the majority of children with multi-cultural background are still under an adolescent period and we should follow up with long-term perspectives.
Multi-cultural Family;North Korean Defectors;Mental Health;Acculturation
- Ministry of Education. Advanced Plan for the Education of the Multicultural Students. Seoul: Ministry of Education;2012.
- Kim YK. Multicultural aspects of family change and policy implications. Health Welf Policy Forum 2011;175:45-62.
- Kim SK, Kim YK, Cho AJ, Kim HR, Lee HK, Seol DH, et al. 2009 Study on the Multicultural Family in all over the country. Seoul: Ministry of Gender Equality & Family;2009.
- Chung KS, Han JE. International marriage migrants' adjustment and mental health. Korean J Pop Stud 2009;32:87-114.
- Kim HK. A subjectivity study of types for stress in immigrant women of multicultural families who married to Korean men. Women Stud 2010;78:119-158.
- Shin HO, Yun SS, Lee SK, Kim DH, Lee HK, Oh SY. Classification and Policy subjects among Adolescents with the Immigration Background. Seoul: Gender Equality and Family Committee;2012.
- North Korean Refugees Foundation. An Elementary Analysis for the Present Living of the North Korean Defectors. Seoul: North Korean Refugees Foundation;2011.
- North Korean Refugees Foundation. 2012 Survey for the North Korean Adolescent Refugees. Seoul: North Korean Refugees Foundation; 2012.
- Sung MY, Kim JH, Jeon SK, Jung HS, Kwon YJ. A study on attachment representations, attachment behaviors and characteristics of mother-child interaction in multi-cultural families. Korean J Child Educ 2010;19:23-29.
- Lim JW. Development and language problems in children of immigrant marriages. Korean J Pediatr 2009;52:417-421. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2009.52.4.417
- Lee SM, Lee KA. The effect of parenting stress and efficacy in mothers of multicultural family on their parenting behavior. J Korea Early Child Educ 2010;17:71-105.
- Jeon KT, Jung HS, Kim ES, Kim YR, Joo JS, Kim HY, et al. 2012 Study on the Multicultural Family in all over the country. Seoul: Ministry of Gender Equality & Family;2012.
- Jun JI, Shin HS. The effects of the life environments of multicultural families’ children on their school maladjustment. J Soc Welfare Develop 2008;14:251-283.
- An HJ. A study on school adjustment and mental health in elementary school children from multicultural families in a Rural City. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2008;17:383-391.
- Lee SH, Park YC, Hwang J, Im JJ, Ahn DH. Mental health of intermarried immigrant women and their children in South Korea. J Immigr Minor Health 2012. DOI 10.1007/s10903-012-9747-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-012-9747-7
- Yang KM, Kim SK, Kim YY. Longitudinal study for the follow-up of the developmental process among children & adolescents of multi-cultural families III. Seoul: National Youth Policy Institute; 2012.
- Yang MJ, Gao HY, Kim YH, Lee DH. A qualitative research on immigration experiences and acculturation process of multicultural adolescents with immigrant backgrounds. Korean in J Youth Couns 2012;20:87-114.
- Park HJ. Adjustment of children of migrant workers in the process of family separation and reunion. Fam Cult 2008;20:99-129.
- Lee I, Park H, Kim Y, Park H. Physical and psychological health status of North Korean defector children. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2011;17:256-263. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.256
- Kim HR. Overview of the nutritional status and policy directions of supporting children’s nutrition in North Korea. Health Welf Policy Forum2007;132:24-34.
- Yang KM, Hwang ST. An initial study into the psychological adaptation of North Korean refugee adolescents in the first stages of their transition to life in South Korea. Stud Korean Youth 2008;19:333- 358.
- Lee YM, Shin OJ, Lim MH. The psychological problems of north Korean adolescent refugees living in South Korea. Psychiatry Investig 2012;9:217-222. https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2012.9.3.217
- Choi SK, Min SJ, Cho MS, Joung H, Park SM. Anxiety and depression among North Korean young defectors in South Korea and their association with health-related quality of life. Yonsei Med J 2011; 52:502-509. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2011.52.3.502
- Baek H, Kil E, Yoon In, Lee Y. A study on psychological adaptation of North Korean adolescent refugees in South Korea. Stud Korean Youth 2007;18:183-211.
- Huang YC, Mathers NJ. Postnatal depression and the experience of South Asian marriage migrant women in Taiwan: survey and semistructured interview study. Int J Nurs Stud 2008;45:924-931. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.02.006
- Chou WJ. Maternal mental health and child development in Asian immigrant mothers in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc 2010;109: 293-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-6646(10)60055-1
- Munroe-Blum H, Boyle MH, Offord DR, Kates N. Immigrant children: psychiatric disorder, school performance, and service utilization. Am J Orthopsychiatry 1989;59:510-519. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.1989.tb02740.x
- Kirmayer LJ, Narasiah L, Munoz M, Rashid M, Ryder AG, Guzder J, et al. Common mental health problems in immigrants and refugees: general approach in primary care. CMAJ 2011;183:E959-E967. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.090292
- McKelvey RS, Baldassar LV, Sang DL, Roberts L. Vietnamese parental perceptions of child and adolescent mental illness. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1999;38:1302-1309. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199910000-00020
- Stevens GW, Vollebergh WA. Mental health in migrant children. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2008;49:276-294. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01848.x
- Comparative Study of Adolescents’ Mental Health between Multicultural Family and Monocultural Family in Korea vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2015.26.4.279
- Life after the pan and the fire: Depression, order, attachment, and the legacy of abuse among North Korean refugee youth and adolescent children of North Korean refugees vol.45, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2015.02.002
- A Study of the Development of Alcohol Use Disorder in Muslim Immigrant Workers in Korea pp.1540-7314, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/01488376.2018.1537945