- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An experimental study on fire resistance of medical modular block
- Kim, Hyung-Jun (Fire Safety Research Center, Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Lee, Jae-Sung (Department of Architectural Engineering, Hannam University) ;
- Kim, Heung-Youl (Fire Safety Research Center, Korea Institute of Construction Technology) ;
- Cho, Bong-Ho (Department of Architectural Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Xi, Yunping (Department of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, University of Colorado) ;
- Kwon, Ki-Hyuck (Department of Architecture Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2012.05.19
- Accepted : 2013.06.04
- Published : 2013.07.25
Fire performance and fire safety of high-rise buildings have become major concerns after the disasters of World Trade Center in the U.S. in 2001 and Windsor tower in Spain in 2005. Performance based design (PBD) approaches have been considered as a better method for fire resistance design of structures because it is capable of incorporating test results of most recent fire resistance technologies. However, there is a difficulty to evaluate fireproof performance of large structures, which have multiple structural members such as columns, slabs, and walls. The difficulty is mainly due to the limitation in the testing equipment, such as size of furnace that can be used to carry out fire tests with existing criteria like ISO 834, BS 476, and KS F 2257. In the present research, a large scale calorie meter (10 MW) was used to conduct three full scale fire tests on medical modular blocks. Average fire load of 13.99
- ABCB (1996), "Building Code of Australian", Australian Building Codes Board, Australia.
- BIA (1992), New Zealand Building Code Handbook and Approved Documents, Building Industry Authority, Wellington, New Zealand.
- British Standard (1987), "Fire tests on building materials and structures-part22", BS 476-22, British Standard Institution, London, UK.
- BSI (2002), Eurocode 1: "Actions on structures. Part 1-2: General actions - Actions on structures exposed to fire", BS EN 1991-1-2, European Standard, London, UK.
- Buchanan, A.H. (2001a), Fire Engineering Design Guide.
- Buchanan, A.H. (2001b), Structural design for fire safety, John Willy & Sons.
- Carden, L.P. and Itani, A.M. (2007), "Performance of an unprotected steel structure subjected to repeated fire at a firefighter training facility", Fire Safety J., 42(2), 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2006.06.009
- CNISK, MNTKS, BNIIPO (1996), "Elements of building constructions, fire - Resistance test methods (General Requirement)", GOST-30247-94, IPK.
- Department of Building Housing (2011), "Compliance Document for New Zealand Building Coode Clauses C1,C2,C3,C4 Fire Safety", New Zealand Government, 39-41.
- Dwaikat, M.M.S. and Kodur, V.K.R. (2011), "A performance based methodology for fire design of restrained steel beams", J. Construct. Steel Res., 67(3), 510-524. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.09.004
- GOST 30247.0 (1994), "Elements of building constructions, Fire-resistance test methods: General requirements", Interstate Scientific and Technical Commission on Standardization.
- GOST 30247.1 (1994), "Elements of building constructions, Fire-resistance test methods: Loadbearing and separating elements", Interstate Scientific and Technical Commission on Standardization.
- HMSO (1985), "The Building Regulations 1985", London, UK.
- IFCI (2000), "International Building Code", International Fire Code Institute, USA.
- Iqbal, S. and Harichandran, R.S. (2011), "Capacity reduction and fire load factors for LRFD of steel columns exposed to fire", Fire Safety J., 46(6), 234-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2011.02.005
- ISO (1999), "Fire resistance tests-Elements of building construction-part 1: General requirements", ISO 834-1, International Organization for Standardization, Switzerland.
- Kim, H.J., Kim, H.Y., Lee, J.S. and Cho, B.H. (2009a), "An analytical study on optimal shape condition of modular beam using fireproof board", J. Architect. Inst. Korea (Struct. & Construct.), 25(7), 3-12.
- Kim, H.Y., Lee, J.S., Yoo, Y.H., Cho, B.H. and Kim, H.J. (2009b), "A study on the fire experiment of medical modular block for the structure behavior and deformation under fire load condition", J. Architect. Inst. Korea (Struct. & Construct.), 25(12), 21-30.
- Korean agency for technology and Standards (2005), KS F 2257-1, "Methods of fire resistance test for elements of building construction-General requirements", Korean Standards Association.
- Korea Institute of Construction Technology (2004), Development of Fireproof Design Technology for the Architectural Buildings, Vol. 1, Ministry of Land, Transport, and Maritime Affairs, 97-99.
- Kwon, I.K. (2002), "State of the Art on the Fire Resistance of Steel Structures and Experimental Study on Section Factors in Korea", SFPE, 4th International Conference on Performance-Based Codes and Fire Safety Design Methods, Melbourne, Australia, March.
- Kwon, I.K. (2005), "Evaluation of fire resistance performance of load-bearing elements made up of light gauge steels", 8th International Conference on Steel, Space and Composition Structures, Malaysia.
- Lawson, R.M., Mullett, D.L. and Rackham, J.W. (1997), "Design of asymmetric 'Slimflor' beams using deep composite decking", The Steel Construction Institute, Berkshire, UK 175.
- Lee, J.S., Kim, H.Y., Cho, B.H., Kim, H.J. and Kim, G.D. (2008), "Fire resistance system of MCO beam using fireproof board", J. Architect. Inst. Korea (Struct. & Construct.), 24(11), 93-100.
- NPB 233-96 (1996), "Full Scale Fire Test Methods for Buildings", NPB Fire Safety Regulations.
- Park, S.Y., Kim, H.J., Kim, H.Y. and Hong, K.P. (2010), "Fire resistance of the Korean asymmetric slim floor beam depending on load ratio", J. Asian Architect. Build. Eng., 10(2), 413-420.
- Proe, D.J. and Bennetts, I.D. (1994), "Real fire tests in 380 Collins street office enclosure", BHP Research, BHPR/PPA/R/94/SG021A, Melbourne, Australia.
- SBBHP (1994), "Building Regulations 1994", Swedish Board of Building, Housing and Planning, Sweden.
- SNIP 21-01-97 (1997), "Fire Safety of Buildings and Structures, Standards and Regulations", Construction Codes and Regulations.
- Steel Construction Industry Forum (1991), "Investigation of Broadgate phase 8 fire", The Steel Construction Institute.
- Sun, R.R., Huang, Z.H. and Burgess, I.W. (2012), "The collapse behaviour of braced steel frames exposed to fire", J. Construct. Steel Res, 72, 130-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.11.008
- Thomas, I.R., Bennetts, I.D., Dayawansa, P., Proe, D.J. and Lewis, R.R. (1992), Fire Tests of the 140 William Street Office Building, BHP Research, BHPR/ENG/R/92 /043/SG2C, Melbourne Australia.
- Wald, F., Simoes da Silva, L., Moore, D.B., Lennon, T., Chladna, M., Santiago, A., Benes, M. and Borges, L. (2006), "Experimental behaviour of a steel structure under natural fire", Fire Safety J., 41(7), 509-522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2006.05.006
- Wald, F., Sokol, Z., and Moore, D. (2009), "Horizontal forces in steel structures tested in fire", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65(8-9), 1896-1903. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.04.020
- Analytical and numerical studies on steel columns with novel connections in modular construction vol.17, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-017-1226-5
- Development of an Efficient Steel Beam Section for Modular Construction Based on Six-Sigma vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/9687078